Reload this Page >

Question about I-130 form

Question about I-130 form

Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:35 am
Just Joined

raha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about I-130 form

Hi everyone.
I petitioned for my parents and they got approved. I have one concern though, in the initial form I think I left out one of my siblings name. Should I call NVC to confirm if that is the case or just fill out the application for their immigrant visa. Thanks for you help.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about I-130 form

Originally Posted by raha
Hi everyone.
I petitioned for my parents and they got approved. I have one concern though, in the initial form I think I left out one of my siblings name. Should I call NVC to confirm if that is the case or just fill out the application for their immigrant visa. Thanks for you help.
You *think* you left out the sibling's name? But you're not sure? Didn't you keep a photocopy of the I-130 for your own records?

When you say "they" got approved...do you mean the I-130 got approved? Or do you mean your parents got approved for their Immigrant Visas?

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You *think* you left out the sibling's name? But you're not sure? Didn't you keep a photocopy of the I-130 for your own records?

When you say "they" got approved...do you mean the I-130 got approved? Or do you mean your parents got approved for their Immigrant Visas?

Rene
thanks for you response. their application got approved and NVC sent me a letter to pay their visa processing fees. I have a copy of the application but I wrote one name on a separate piece of paper. I am not sure if I sent that with the application or not. Thats what I am worried about. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raha
thanks for you response. their application got approved and NVC sent me a letter to pay their visa processing fees.
Actually, *your* application got approved. The I-130 is your petition.

I have a copy of the application but I wrote one name on a separate piece of paper. I am not sure if I sent that with the application or not. Thats what I am worried about. Any suggestions on what to do?
So I guess you didn't keep a complete copy of everything you sent to USCIS?

I'm sorry, I don't really know what you should do at this point. If you send an amendment/addition to the I-130, I'm afraid it will be hard for NVC to match it up to what they have there. Maybe you can send that sheet to your parents and they can bring it to the interview and show the ConOff? That would be the next place your I-130 would be available to be looked at.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually, *your* application got approved. The I-130 is your petition.

So I guess you didn't keep a complete copy of everything you sent to USCIS?

I'm sorry, I don't really know what you should do at this point. If you send an amendment/addition to the I-130, I'm afraid it will be hard for NVC to match it up to what they have there. Maybe you can send that sheet to your parents and they can bring it to the interview and show the ConOff? That would be the next place your I-130 would be available to be looked at.

Rene
I initially felt if I call the NVC they might put everything on hold and delay the whole process. I will try and have my parents take the sheet of paper during their interview and hope they'll be able to convince the ConOff. Thanks for your thought on that.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:30 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Although I would be very unhappy about this, the situation is less grave -- leaving a child off the I-130 -- than if the IMMIGRANTS THEMSELVES had left a child off of the DS-230.

Technically, although the I-130 should be done with care, the Beneficiary of the I-130 should not be responsible for the clerical errors of the Petitioner. If the Beneficiary makes it clear on the DS-230 forms that s/he has x number of children, and their names are ... , then I see little problem for the omitted person to be petitioned later.

Oh, there may be some explaining to do, and a DNA test could be requested -- don't do it unless asked -- but I think it would work out alright.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Although I would be very unhappy about this, the situation is less grave -- leaving a child off the I-130 -- than if the IMMIGRANTS THEMSELVES had left a child off of the DS-230.

Technically, although the I-130 should be done with care, the Beneficiary of the I-130 should not be responsible for the clerical errors of the Petitioner. If the Beneficiary makes it clear on the DS-230 forms that s/he has x number of children, and their names are ... , then I see little problem for the omitted person to be petitioned later.

Oh, there may be some explaining to do, and a DNA test could be requested -- don't do it unless asked -- but I think it would work out alright.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
It is starting to sound kinda complicated but I hope all goes well. Thanks for your advice.