Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about Green card and social security

Question about Green card and social security

Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Green card and social security

We are moving in two weeks and it has just dawned on me that I haven't read or seen it mentioned about when the social security numbers are given. Maybe I missed something but do they arrive when the permanent green card is sent? I am the us citizen and my husband has the visa. He will need a social security number to work I'm guessing. The last time I saw it mentioned was during the online visa application and it asked do you want or need a social security number or something like that.
Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Green card and social security

If he checked the box to issue a SSN, then the SS card should automatically come in the mail within a month or so after his arrival in the USA.

That doesn't always happen though, so if it doesn't arrive, he needs to go apply for the SSN in person.

He doesn't need a SSN to start working.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bank on it being done. Give it 2 weeks and then he should head down to the SS Office with his passport an the I551 stamp.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both so much for your help.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:01 am
Just Joined

LandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine there are a number of variables including the efficiency of the port of entry your husband arrives at, whether CBP do their paperwork promptly etc. But having myself arrived at JFK on an IR-1 a month ago, it took just two weeks for the social security card to be mailed out to me, so they can be quite speedy when they want to be! I checked the box requesting assignation of a social security number on my DS-260 form when applying through the embassy. If your husband did not check the box he will need to pay a visit to the local social security office with his passport and stamped visa (temporary I-551) as Noorah and civilservant indicated.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LandOfLincoln
I imagine there are a number of variables including the efficiency of the port of entry your husband arrives at, whether CBP do their paperwork promptly etc. But having myself arrived at JFK on an IR-1 a month ago, it took just two weeks for the social security card to be mailed out to me, so they can be quite speedy when they want to be! I checked the box requesting assignation of a social security number on my DS-260 form when applying through the embassy. If your husband did not check the box he will need to pay a visit to the local social security office with his passport and stamped visa (temporary I-551) as Noorah and civilservant indicated.

Good luck with the move!
Thank you! We are ready and excited. He did indeed check the box to receive a ssn. Good to know the rough time scale and all. Also how long does it take for the green card to arrive? Are you still waiting for that? Again, it's good to know time scales. Thanks again.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:45 am
Just Joined

LandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Embrta
Thank you! We are ready and excited. He did indeed check the box to receive a ssn. Good to know the rough time scale and all. Also how long does it take for the green card to arrive? Are you still waiting for that? Again, it's good to know time scales. Thanks again.
No worries! Again I was fortunate with the timings re. the physical green card - it was mailed out just 24 days after my arrival in New York, and anecdotally it seems as though several others have been receiving their cards within a similar timeframe, so here's hoping that things are just as speedy for you and your husband in a couple of weeks' time!