Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Amir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really nice
Default Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Hi everyone,

My k1 90 days visa period expired today. I've already got married and am awaiting approval of my AOS(I-485) and EAD(I-765) forms. I wonder if anyone could let me know what is my legal status? The thing is I am applying for a mortgage in the US and my lenders want me to fill in my visa status or else the mortgage will not be approved. Do I still say k1 visa? Am I still considered a non-immigrant resident? Any advise would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Amir
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:09 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Originally Posted by Amir_R
Hi everyone,

My k1 90 days visa period expired today. I've already got married and am awaiting approval of my AOS(I-485) and EAD(I-765) forms. I wonder if anyone could let me know what is my legal status? The thing is I am applying for a mortgage in the US and my lenders want me to fill in my visa status or else the mortgage will not be approved. Do I still say k1 visa? Am I still considered a non-immigrant resident? Any advise would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Amir
Hey Amir:

Your status is "Pending AOS" (Awaiting to get permanent residence), You are no longer a K1, you are married.. that doesn't make you a fiancee anymore
Bring proof of AOS filing, that's what others have done
Good Luck with the mortgage!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Hi everyone,

Best wishes

Amir
Not sure if this helps you but this is from a good site:

6.11.7)..(newsgroup)..OK, so my K-1 wife will file I485 for AOS.....Question is, what will her immigration status be from the date she files the AOS paperwork until the interview where she receives (conditional)green card?
A..(newsgroup)..She is official under a "period of stay authorized by the Attorney General". (FAQ Note: This is due to being an Adjustment Applicant who is awaiting a decision regarding an adjustment of status application)

The site if you need to look is: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/index.htm#5.13
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Amir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really niceAmir_R is just really nice

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
Not sure if this helps you but this is from a good site:

6.11.7)..(newsgroup)..OK, so my K-1 wife will file I485 for AOS.....Question is, what will her immigration status be from the date she files the AOS paperwork until the interview where she receives (conditional)green card?
A..(newsgroup)..She is official under a "period of stay authorized by the Attorney General". (FAQ Note: This is due to being an Adjustment Applicant who is awaiting a decision regarding an adjustment of status application)

The site if you need to look is: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/index.htm#5.13

Many thanks guys!
I guess I would receive acknowledgement for pending case from USCIS soon. They already have my docs and have asked me to go and do fingerprinting next week (yet another one!). So perhaps they will write to me about my legal status after that.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks guys!
I guess I would receive acknowledgement for pending case from USCIS soon. They already have my docs and have asked me to go and do fingerprinting next week (yet another one!). So perhaps they will write to me about my legal status after that.
Hi Amir,

My husband has exactly the same status as you do. He's applied for AOS, received EAD and AP, and is waiting to hear of an interview date (won't be until around summer of 2006, though, for us). However, I don't think USCIS sends you anything in writing until it is time for your interview, at which point they send you an appointment letter. In the meantime, to prove your status, bring your NOA from your AOS which says you've applied. Your status is "Pending Adjustment of Status for Permanent Residency".

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:03 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Query about legal status beyond k1 period

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Amir,

My husband has exactly the same status as you do. He's applied for AOS, received EAD and AP, and is waiting to hear of an interview date (won't be until around summer of 2006, though, for us). However, I don't think USCIS sends you anything in writing until it is time for your interview, at which point they send you an appointment letter. In the meantime, to prove your status, bring your NOA from your AOS which says you've applied. Your status is "Pending Adjustment of Status for Permanent Residency".

Best Wishes!
Rene

Don't they give you the so called grocery receipt??
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Don't they give you the so called grocery receipt??
Hi Hyper!

I've heard of that type of receipt, but I'm not sure when you might get that! We have nothing else to pay for, so no other receipts needed for anything else, until after our AOS interview. I can't recall now what that "grocery store" receipt was related to!

Rene