Q re Citizenship

Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Q re Citizenship

Hi All,

If someone does not want to become a citizen, but wants to remain a permanent resident, what do they do? Do they re-apply for PR every 10 years? What does that involve, just filling out a form and paying a fee? Or is it more interviews?

Just curious for the future....

Thanks,
Rene
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:59 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Q re Citizenship

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi All,

If someone does not want to become a citizen, but wants to remain a permanent resident, what do they do? Do they re-apply for PR every 10 years? What does that involve, just filling out a form and paying a fee? Or is it more interviews?

Thanks,
Rene

From what I have seen about citizenship, the main advantage is that you get citizen rights and cannot lose your right to live in the US. As a permanent resident you can get deported in certain situations.
Luckily I can do dual citizenship.
I think you are correct in that you have to reapply when your card expires and I do not think it is an automatic renewel situation.

Will be interesting to hear from others with more experience on this.
Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:07 pm
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Thanks,
Rene

I too would be curious to see what other's have said. Right now John doesn't have a desire to become a US citizen but it may change in a few years. Luckily for him the Queen won't let British citizens go so he would be a dual citizen. I think if you just wanted to stay a permanent resident that you would just reapply with ......... of course another fee........ and get the card like a new driver lic. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Cindy
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:42 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

Thanks,
Rene
No. You just renew. No more interviews
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:44 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ranjini
Personally speaking all going well with the AOS, I will take out US citizenship once I am eligible
Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Ranjini! Do you know how much the renewal is? I know when our time comes, it will be different, but what is it now?

Thanks!
Rene
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks,
Rene
Hi:

The CARD expires, the status does not. I-90 is filed. BTW, I just had a client whose 10 year card had just expired and he had totally forgot about that. Five days after starting a new job, a memo came from HR to discharge him since he presented an expried document at the time of hire.

We filed an on-line I-90, got him an ACS appointment for the next day and they put a sticker on his I-551 extending its validity. The I-90 was approved a week later [under the current LOS pilot program].

BTW, when an LPR starts a job, his work authorization does NOT expire. If my client had started his job the day before his card expired, he would have been just fine. Also, the Driver's license and unrestricted SS card would have been continuing evidence of employment authorization. [My client had, like many of us, knew his SSN but didn't know where the card was.].
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:04 pm

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The CARD expires, the status does not. I-90 is filed. BTW, I just had a client whose 10 year card had just expired and he had totally forgot about that. Five days after starting a new job, a memo came from HR to discharge him since he presented an expried document at the time of hire.

We filed an on-line I-90, got him an ACS appointment for the next day and they put a sticker on his I-551 extending its validity. The I-90 was approved a week later [under the current LOS pilot program].

BTW, when an LPR starts a job, his work authorization does NOT expire. If my client had started his job the day before his card expired, he would have been just fine. Also, the Driver's license and unrestricted SS card would have been continuing evidence of employment authorization. [My client had, like many of us, knew his SSN but didn't know where the card was.].
Thank you, Mr. Folinsky!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:30 pm
Banned

Thanks, Ranjini! Do you know how much the renewal is? I know when our time comes, it will be different, but what is it now?

Thanks!
Rene
Looks like the fee is $185. Here's the link:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/I-90.htm
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:33 pm
Banned

And this one says $130.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/GreenCard.htm

Edit: This looks like the right one.

Last edited by Ranjini; Jul 30th 2004 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:39 pm

Actually, this is the one I looked up, too! Even if it's $130 now, it will be $185 by the time we need it..... LOL!

Thanks, Ranjini

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, this is the one I looked up, too! Even if it's $130 now, it will be $185 by the time we need it..... LOL!

Thanks, Ranjini

Rene
Hi:

$185 as of 4/29/2004. If first I-551 after age 14, add $70 for biometrics.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 11:44 pm
Stephen Gallagher

Noorah101 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > If someone does not want to become a citizen, but wants to
    > remain a permanent resident, what do they do? Do they re-apply for PR
    > every 10 years? What does that involve, just filling out a form and
    > paying a fee? Or is it more interviews?

No more interviews. It's just the card that expires, not your
PR status. Somewhat akin to when your driver's license
expires. You fill out the form, pay the fee, have a photo
taken, and that's about it.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Aug 1st 2004, 2:19 am

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2004, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses.

Rene

Good to know. I'm not all that interested in becoming a US citizen either... although I think my husband has something different to say about the situation haha