Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Q about processing of k-1 for divorced fiancee

Q about processing of k-1 for divorced fiancee

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:45 pm
Hirsh Eisenberg

Does anyone know how the fact that my fiancee is divorced with children will affect
processing of a K-1 & K-2 at the Vermont Service Center? As requested, I sent in
copies of the marriage certificate and divorce decree from her prior marriage.

To complete the facts, she was married previously in Boston, she has an expired green
card from that marriage, 2 of her 3 children have US passports (3rd born in South
Africa),and she currently lives in South Africa. Any experiences with the consulate
in Johannesburg would be useful.

Thanks.

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:58 pm
Michael Voight

Why would it affect processing at VSC? Many women that immigrate with children are
divorced. Since 2 of the children are citizens, you do not need K-2 for them.

Michael

Hirsh Eisenberg wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:11 pm
Hirsh Eisenberg

I have heard that VSC has a faster processing time than the other service centers
for K-1s. Now that I have filled the I-129F and supporting documents, I find
myself second guessing whether I should have included anything else in the package
or if there is anything which could slow down processing, such as her being
divorced, 3 children (2 US citizens/1not) or the expired green card. I may be
worrying about nothing.

Michael Voight wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does anyone know how the fact that my fiancee is divorced with children will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > affect processing of a K-1 & K-2 at the Vermont Service Center? As requested, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sent in copies of the marriage certificate and divorce decree from her prior[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marriage.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > To complete the facts, she was married previously in Boston, she has an expired[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > green card from that marriage, 2 of her 3 children have US passports (3rd born in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > South Africa),and she currently lives in South Africa. Any experiences with the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > consulate in Johannesburg would be useful.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 26th 2001, 12:09 am
Shelley

Sounds like you are worrying for nothing. Welcome to the club - I'd be willing to bet
nearly everyone here had worries after they sent in their petitions and applications!
Just try to relax Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
documents,
    >
in
    >
as
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Why would it affect processing at VSC? Many women that immigrate with children[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are divorced. Since 2 of the children are citizens, you do not need K-2 for them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Michael[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hirsh Eisenberg wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Does anyone know how the fact that my fiancee is divorced with[/usenetquote2]
children
[usenetquote2]> > > will affect processing of a K-1 & K-2 at the Vermont Service Center?[/usenetquote2]
As
[usenetquote2]> > > requested, I sent in copies of the marriage certificate and divorce decree from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > her prior marriage.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > To complete the facts, she was married previously in Boston, she has[/usenetquote2]
an
[usenetquote2]> > > expired green card from that marriage, 2 of her 3 children have US passports[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (3rd born in South Africa),and she currently lives in South Africa. Any[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > experiences with the consulate in Johannesburg would be useful.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]