Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Process time for Fiance Visa

Process time for Fiance Visa

Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

sheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nice
Default Process time for Fiance Visa

Hi again guys,

My fiance is now back in the US and his Mom has sent him lots of info through E-mail. She also works for the military on the travel booking side and she told him that if he is in the military then we may even get the visa through quicker and that they process it faster.... is this true?

Also, bit off subject, am I able to take driving lessons in the US on the fiance visa, if not when can I? Not sure if I'd want to drive during that time but considering it seeing as I can't get to Kroger on foot lol

Don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here, so let me know if I can't, but this is a really helpful idiots guide to a fiance visa...
http://www.usavisanow.com/k1fianceevisainfo.html

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks again.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process time for Fiance Visa

Originally Posted by sheralynneandjay
My fiance is now back in the US and his Mom has sent him lots of info through E-mail. She also works for the military on the travel booking side and she told him that if he is in the military then we may even get the visa through quicker and that they process it faster.... is this true?
I am not sure if they will speed up the K-1 visa for military personnel. I do know they make a speedier citizenship process for aliens married to USC military men who are being deployed. (something to that effect.)

Also, bit off subject, am I able to take driving lessons in the US on the fiance visa, if not when can I? Not sure if I'd want to drive during that time but considering it seeing as I can't get to Kroger on foot lol
If you have a UK license, you can use that to drive here (and take lessons). Otherwise, I believe you would need to obtain a US drivers permit first, before taking lessons.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheralynneandjay
Hi again guys,

Only if he is being deployed. And then it's 'maybe'.

Also, bit off subject, am I able to take driving lessons in the US on the fiance visa, if not when can I?
The driving tests here are nothing like what you've got in the UK. If you don't already know how to drive, you can take lessons here anytime you like.
Getting a license is a State function and each State has its own requirements for the type of ID and immigration status you need to get one. The Department in charge of that is usually called the "DMV" if you want to google for your State's requirements. UK license holders can drive here on their UK license for awhile but typically need to be re-tested in every state.

Don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here, so let me know if I can't, but this is a really helpful idiots guide to a fiance visa...
http://www.usavisanow.com/k1fianceevisainfo.html

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks again.
The timeline estimate is misleading; no idea what part of the process they are referring to there.
There appears to still be a difference in processing time depending on a Vermont (faster) vs California petition filing. This is simply based on residnece location and can't be chosen.

There are a couple of errors under the Port of Entry section.

Double check filing fees and addresses *always* at uscis.gov on the Special Instructions section of the form page.

Most "OF" forms will now be "DS" instead.. same thing.

A key thing to remember is that the visa is but the first, small step. You should always be looking ahead to Adjustment of Status and what's involved with that. AOS is what makes you a Permanent Resident.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Only if he is being deployed. And then it's 'maybe'.

The driving tests here are nothing like what you've got in the UK. If you don't already know how to drive, you can take lessons here anytime you like.
Getting a license is a State function and each State has its own requirements for the type of ID and immigration status you need to get one. The Department in charge of that is usually called the "DMV" if you want to google for your State's requirements. UK license holders can drive here on their UK license for awhile but typically need to be re-tested in every state.

The timeline estimate is misleading; no idea what part of the process they are referring to there.
There appears to still be a difference in processing time depending on a Vermont (faster) vs California petition filing. This is simply based on residnece location and can't be chosen.

There are a couple of errors under the Port of Entry section.

Double check filing fees and addresses *always* at uscis.gov on the Special Instructions section of the form page.

Most "OF" forms will now be "DS" instead.. same thing.

A key thing to remember is that the visa is but the first, small step. You should always be looking ahead to Adjustment of Status and what's involved with that. AOS is what makes you a Permanent Resident.
Some states (at least) require a permit for lessons. Should work, but might have to argue with DMV.