Wikiposts

Prep for medical

Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prep for medical

Actually Ian I agree with you completely. The problem was given a label, and probably an incorrect one since I haven't had any issues at all for so long since. I was prescribed one type of medication, and just took it. Now I'm beginning to regret the whole episode (pardon the pun). My doctor had referred me to see a psychiatrist though, so in theory they knew their stuff.

Should I really get an attorney involved? If that's the case then it must be a serious problem, and there's a possibility of refusal over this.

Last edited by guitarmaan; Dec 19th 2011 at 7:42 am.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie
The clinic or embassy would never have access to your records and many have also had their doctor refuse to turn over photocopies of their actual records to the patient.
That surprises me. If the clinic can never access the records, what's stopping people simply hiding any issues they have?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Should I really get an attorney involved? If that's the case then it must be a serious problem, and there's a possibility of refusal over this.
My opinion is the same as stated in post #9 of this thread. Go back and read it.

Then talk to your doctor and ask if he will write you a statement as described in Post #13. The reason is that the doctor at Knightsbridge is responsible for evaluating your mental health. He can't do that in the 10 minutes he sees you if you have admitted depression. Nor can he depend on your detail of the episode. So he can get a better idea from a short statement from the doctor who sees you more often, that you do not exhibit harmful behaviors.

For people who do not admit a history of mental problems, he can look for scarring indicating self harm and the police report for arrests or cautions where others were harmed in a rage. Then he can ask more questions about what he observes. Also when he's chatting about the weather or your move to America, he's not really being friendly, he's assessing if you seem like a normal chap that he can pass on the mental health question.

That surprises me. If the clinic can never access the records, what's stopping people simply hiding any issues they have?
Nothing. They do hide things all the time. If they acted weird and he suspected something, he could request that they give permission to access the records. If they refused he could refuse to sign off on the medical.

Last edited by Moxie; Dec 19th 2011 at 8:56 am.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Well I guess I should do the sensible thing and get a statement from my current NHS doctor detailing my medical record. The doctor (and consultant) at the time have long since retired, so that's the best I can get. We're talking maybe 20 years ago now.
I have no history of arrests or cautions, so that's no worry. My issues were never that severe & I was attending college at the time.

The possibility of paying 750gbp for an assessment doesn't fill me with joy though!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
My doctor had referred me to see a psychiatrist though, so in theory they knew their stuff.
Did you actually see the psychiatrist and did he confirm the diagnosis? If so, then you'll probably need to follow up on this for your medical. If not, the diagnosis remains unconfirmed and, since it has now cleared up, you have no idea whether or not you were ever either depressed or cyclothymic.

My issues were never that severe & I was attending college at the time.
Sounds like you were stressed out more than depressed.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

The psychiatrist came up with the diagnosis, after some informal chats. Looking back on it I was a mixed up kid at the time, going through some problems. The medication didn't make any difference & my issues faded away soon enough. I thought I was doing the right thing seeking help, but it was a mistake to do so I think. All I actually needed was some decent breaks in life to cheer me up.

But right now I should stop dwelling on it and deal with the hurdle. I could afford an attorney, but I'm reluctant to do so. We didn't have a great experience with paid "expertise" when my wife came over here to the UK. We could have done better ourselves.

Following advice here I will get a doctors statement, present the facts honestly at the medical, and face the music