Prep for medical

Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prep for medical

Having received an LND number, I want to deal with medical next. Having read comments on this forum, I'd like to try getting any jabs at my local NHS centre to save on costs. I think I've narrowed it down to varicella, MMR and T/Dap being the necessary ones. But not being 100% sure I'll just ask at the centre and get any others at Bentick Mansions. Anyway...

Apart from jabs and vaccination records, is there anything else I should get from my doctor?

I did have an episode of depression over ten years ago, for which I received some medication. Will this be an issue or mentioned at the medical? I can't remember the dates of it all, it being so long ago. Perhaps I should nail those details and dates down encase I need them?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:22 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prep for medical

I actually took the list of vaccinations on the USCIS website to my doctor, they were super helpful and worked out exactly what was needed.

They then gave me a print out of all the jabs I had been given.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I say this every time someone mentions vaccinations but there is no harm in repeating it.

There are the vaccine requirements for the visa and the vaccine requirements for good health.

There are currently large outbreaks of measles and pertussis (whooping cough) in the US. All adults need a Pertussis booster (the P of TdaP) often they have only had the Td booster previously. If you haven't had MMR shots get them too. Don't forget annual flu shots.

Varicella/chicken pox is the tricky one as it isn't routinely available in the UK.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Varicella/chicken pox is the tricky one as it isn't routinely available in the UK.
And generally not needed if you have had chicken pox already.

A titre test will show what you are covered for and that will be good for the medical if you don't have your vaccination records on hand.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Having received an LND number, I want to deal with medical next. Having read comments on this forum, I'd like to try getting any jabs at my local NHS centre to save on costs. I think I've narrowed it down to varicella, MMR and T/Dap being the necessary ones. But not being 100% sure I'll just ask at the centre and get any others at Bentick Mansions.
Yes those are the jabs you need for adjustment of status (not the visa), but getting it all done and recorded on the DS-3025 worksheet is a VERY wise move. Remember you are meeting US standards and your British GP isn't the best to advise what you need. I've seen many people say my GP said I didn't need _____, but Knightsbridge said I did. In addition because it is flu season a flu shot is in order.

You won't likely find a varicella shot in the UK, but Knightsbridge will take your word for it if you tell them you had chickenpox. Then the varicella jab won't be needed.

Anyway...

Apart from jabs and vaccination records, is there anything else I should get from my doctor?

I did have an episode of depression over ten years ago, for which I received some medication. Will this be an issue or mentioned at the medical? I can't remember the dates of it all, it being so long ago. Perhaps I should nail those details and dates down encase I need them?
Yes, it will be an issue at the medical. People have been sent to 750 GBP psych exams or at least to get a full written report from their GP detailing the "episode", the treatment, and that you are not a threat to yourself or others. If it was a short term sadness because your kitty died and not full blown clinical depression then I would be careful with using the term 'depression' loosely at the exam. It can open a can of worms. Just sayin'...not advising or suggesting what you should do.

If you've had any diseases or conditions treated like high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, asthma, etc, then taking a detailed report from you GP outlining the duration, treatment, current medications, and prognosis would be in order.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration requirements aside, if you have had chicken pox and are over the age of 60 you might want to consider a herpes zoster vaccination.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861/

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
And generally not needed if you have had chicken pox already.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really nice

You have to fill in a questionairre - before you go, and one at the doctors. And it does have a question regards depression:

'Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?'

And it might well be mentioned, they are very keen on asking about depression. I had the medical early December, and the doctor specifically told me that is one of the things the US embassy are very interested in. I had no issue or history of it, it was just something she said in conversation with me.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brando
And it might well be mentioned, they are very keen on asking about depression. I had the medical early December, and the doctor specifically told me that is one of the things the US embassy are very interested in. I had no issue or history of it, it was just something she said in conversation with me.
Oh great So does that mean it could be used as a reason to decline a visa? Otherwise why would they be interested. That's a little concerning.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great So does that mean it could be used as a reason to decline a visa? Otherwise why would they be interested. That's a little concerning.
Maybe, but only in extreme circumstances where you might currently be a threat to yourself and to others. If you can show your depression was a long time ago, that you received treatment, that you're no longer depressed or on meds for it, etc...you should be fine.

Rene
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Maybe, but only in extreme circumstances where you might currently be a threat to yourself and to others. If you can show your depression was a long time ago, that you received treatment, that you're no longer depressed or on meds for it, etc...you should be fine.

Rene
ok thanks for that. I'll just have to make sure I get dates and details from the doctors records, because I don't even remember that stuff now.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just have to make sure I get dates and details from the doctors records, because I don't even remember that stuff now.
You need to realize that there's a huge difference between being "depressed" and being "clinically depressed". The former is temporary, the latter isn't. I note you didn't respond to Moxie's comment... was this just a case of you being upset because someone died? If it is, I suggest you don't fit the "depression" profile.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

ok to be more specific, the diagnosis I had at the time was a "cyclothymia". I found an online definition of this -

"A mild mood disorder characterized by alternating periods of elation and depression."

So it's a mood disorder going up and down. I may have received meds for this over the course of a year or so, not sure of the duration now. It's been well over ten years since this event and I've not suffered any recurring incidents since then. No meds and no mood swings.

Evidently I need to get my facts straight on this and obtain medical records, because I'll surely be quizzed on it. I just don't like the idea of providing ammunition for a refusal.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need the actual medical records. The clinic or embassy would never have access to your records and many have also had their doctor refuse to turn over photocopies of their actual records to the patient. So Knightsbridge will probably be okay with a written statement from the doctor who treated you--
diagnosis
dates/duration
medications prescribed (how much, how often)
that you were never a threat to yourself or others
maybe that you continued to hold down a job or attend school during that time
that you were never hospitalized or if you were, how long
That you have not had a problem or medication prescribed since [date].
The same type of statement would be in order for someone who had high blood pressure (except for the not harmful to yourself bit.)
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll like even less the consequences of intentionally omitting material information, as the consequences of that act are usually more severe than the consequences of what was being kept hidden.

In this case it's a medical issue, but in general when there's an issue on which undesirable infomation needs to be provided it's time to be talking with an immigration attorney. Like political handlers, their training and experience prepares them to present bad information in the best possible way.

Regards, JEff

I just don't like the idea of providing ammunition for a refusal.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 19th 2011 at 4:00 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

ok to be more specific, the diagnosis I had at the time was a "cyclothymia".
Was your doctor a psychiatrist? If not, he likely pulled cyclothymia out of thin air. Cyclothymia is a specific form of BPD - bipolar disorder, and shows up in DSM IV. It requires a psychiatrist to diagnose properly. Cyclothymia is long term, so it wouldn't be just for a "year or so" and usually requires several trials/errors of medicine dosages to get it right. It's not just "take 2 prozac and call me in the morning". Someone who is truly cyclothymic will require lifetime medication to control their mood swings.

My guess is your doctor asked if you felt sad, how many times, and did you feel normal between those times!

Okay... I've said too much so I'm stepping back now.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.