Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dublin pre-clearance

Again, thank you. However, I think you are missing the point. The OP believes that if he goes through US Customs in one airport in Ireland and if he needs to deplane at another airport in Ireland or in the UK and get on another plane this time with the final leg bound for the US that he would need to clear customs twice.

I'm trying to get him to understand that if you cleared US Customs already on the maiden flight, then you do not have to go through US Customs again to board the connecting flight.

He seems to feel that he has to go through US Customs twice for one trip to the US.

In addition it is not known if the OP is an intended immigrant or just a tourist.

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
Planes don't go Shannon -> Dublin -> US, Shannon is on the west coast. occasionally planes go Dublin -> Shannon -> US with many passengers joining the plane at Shannon and those that started from Dublin getting off and doing immigration there. It's a weird situation and is a legacy of the 'Shannon stopover' where a certain % of flights to the US were required to stop in Shannon to bring money to the airport.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 29th 2010 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:39 pm
Banned

rugbyrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

I understand you only go through immigration and customs once and in my case it will be at Dublin before the flight takes off for Chicago the flight will not land at Shannon or any other airport to pick up additional passengers I understand that and I intend to be one of the first ones to the check in and immigration desks.

But what if after you clear immigration and customs at Dublin you miss your flight due to the delays or for whatever reason and they say we can get you on the next flight out to Chicago today Mr Rete and they re ticket for the 4pm flight that DOES NOT clear immigration at Dublin but clear's immigration at your end destination Chicago and you have to go to a different terminal a different gate what would happen then?. Would the dublin stamp still stand or would you need a fresh stamping fresh fingerprints and customs forms and all those forms all over again at Chicago?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbyrich
I understand you only go through immigration and customs once and in my case it will be at Dublin before the flight takes off for Chicago the flight will not land at Shannon or any other airport to pick up additional passengers I understand that and I intend to be one of the first ones to the check in and immigration desks.

But what if after you clear immigration and customs at Dublin you miss your flight due to the delays or for whatever reason and they say we can get you on the next flight out to Chicago today Mr Rete and they re ticket for the 4pm flight that DOES NOT clear immigration at Dublin but clear's immigration at your end destination Chicago and you have to go to a different terminal a different gate what would happen then?. Would the dublin stamp still stand or would you need a fresh stamping fresh fingerprints and customs forms and all those forms all over again at Chicago?
International flights arriving in Chicago go through a separate terminal.

I can not imagine they have a you have been inspected outside the US so you can bypass all this line, I have been through Chicago a few times and have never seen one.

IF it happens then I would certainly mention that you have gone through it once before, I would have thought it would be visible on their screen.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, FFS.

1) Passengers on all flights to the US from the Republic or Ireland clear US immigration and customs in the Irish airport.

2) Yes, there is a BA Club World-only flight from London City to JFK that stops at Shannon to refuel while all passengers clear US immigration and customs. There may be others - I don't know.

3) No-one is holding flights for anyone who is delayed through immigration of customs procedures. That would just be daft.

4) If you want to know how individual airlines deal with passengers who miss flights then call them. There are many different ticket types issued, some flexible and others not. This also may factor in.

5) Call the airline you are thinking of flying with.

6) See 5.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
International flights arriving in Chicago go through a separate terminal.

I can not imagine they have a you have been inspected outside the US so you can bypass all this line, I have been through Chicago a few times and have never seen one.

IF it happens then I would certainly mention that you have gone through it once before, I would have thought it would be visible on their screen.
So the intial inspection would stand? That's good to know if it. It is not relevant to Chicago but I did see online that Contential had 2 flights Dublin Newark the first clearing at Dublin and the second at Newark so that could be a situation someone could face.

Last edited by rugbyrich; Nov 29th 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tonrob
Oh, FFS.

1) Passengers on all flights to the US from the Republic or Ireland clear US immigration and customs in the Irish airport.

2) Yes, there is a BA Club World-only flight from London City to JFK that stops at Shannon to refuel while all passengers clear US immigration and customs. There may be others - I don't know.

3) No-one is holding flights for anyone who is delayed through immigration of customs procedures. That would just be daft.

4) If you want to know how individual airlines deal with passengers who miss flights then call them. There are many different ticket types issued, some flexible and others not. This also may factor in.

5) Call the airline you are thinking of flying with.

6) See 5.
Didn't Aer lingus opted out at Dublin at least until the new pre clearance terminals are operational?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Aer lingus opted out at Dublin at least until the new pre clearance terminals are operational?
Are you doing a school project on this or something? On the assumption you're not a troll, just say whatever it is you're actually trying to do instead of posting all this hypothetical babble.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes, yes. The original inspection stands as long as you have not left the airport. If you have a 7 hour delay for the next flight and decide to leave the airport for a lunch or a smoke or whatever, then you need a new clearance.

I don't know why you would think differently. It is only common sense.

And btw it is Ms. Rete.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, yes, yes. The original inspection stands as long as you have not left the airport. If you have a 7 hour delay for the next flight and decide to leave the airport for a lunch or a smoke or whatever, then you need a new clearance.

I don't know why you would think differently. It is only common sense.

And btw it is Ms. Rete.
I see. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:53 pm
Septic Sprout

I see. Thanks for the help.
Don't mention it.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, FFS.

Wrong - at least for now. From some point in 2011 will be correct, but for now the situation is:

- Some flights out of Shannon clear US customs and immigration and arrive in the US as domestic flights;
- Some flights out of Dublin clear US immigration only (and still arrive at international terminals in the US
- Some flights out of both Dublin and Shannon do not yet clear US customs/immigration.

3&4. This situation arises at Canadian airports all the time and airlines have procedures to deal with it. They might hold a flight for a few minutes but not for hours.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:55 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wrong - at least for now. From some point in 2011 will be correct, but for now the situation is:

- Some flights out of Shannon clear US customs and immigration and arrive in the US as domestic flights;
- Some flights out of Dublin clear US immigration only (and still arrive at international terminals in the US
- Some flights out of both Dublin and Shannon do not yet clear US customs/immigration.
Well it's bloody near enough for the purposes of this thread, isn't it?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No, it isn't.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:36 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If the flight is delayed past the time when the US border guards in Dublin/Shannon leave for the day, you may have to be cleared all over again when you get to the US.

If the flight loses preclearance then everyone clears again in the US. The stamp doesn't mean a hill of beans at that point. They do the inspection over and don't have to honor any prior stamp or I-94. Even if the flight is precleared, they can grab people once they arrive in the US if they feel the need to, and the person is still considered to be an arriving alien.

Check out 901 F. 2d 1166 - Correa v. Thornburgh

http://openjurist.org/901/f2d/1166/correa-v-thornburgh

Essentially, they stamped the person in and then changed their mind. The court ruled that people aren't considered to have been admitted until they physically make entry into the territory of the US and are free of government control.

"An entry involves: (1) a crossing into the territorial limits of the United States, i.e. physical presence; (2)(a) an inspection and admission by an immigration officer or (b) actual and intentional evasion of inspection at the nearest inspection point; and (3) freedom from official restraint."

"free to physically enter the United States or to go at large and mix with the general population"

Last edited by crg; Nov 30th 2010 at 1:46 am.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

No, the situation is:
Currently, terminal 1 has US immigration only. Not all flights use is as it is not open all hours and there are only 3 gates through which it operates.You still have to re-claim your bag at your first port of entry into the US and clear customs.
Terminal 2 is due to open full customs and immigration service some time in the New Year, these flights will be able to land in US domestic terminals.

There seem to be a lot of people advocating travelling through Dublin to avail of pre-clearance but there are many flights for which it does not operate. Personally, even though Dublin is my destination my preferred flight to get here is Dublin -> Amsterdam -> Houston, shortest trip door-to-door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.