Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:06 am
Banned

rugbyrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-Clearance Questions re: Shannon and Dublin

Apologies for jumping into your thread. I was going to post the exact same thing I am also looking at travelling through Dublin to Chicago and on to St Louis. Travelling out Dublin is the same to me as travelling from Manchester with the added bonus of immigration clearance What has been discussed so far doesn't quite answer the question I was going to ask I was going to ask from the point of secondary making you late for the intial flight.

For the sake of argument lets assume myself or amy are taken into secondary interview. What happens if the secondary questioning causes delays in reaching the gate. Will they hold the flight given that your are a ticketed passenger or would you be forced to remain in the cleared area until the next flight departed which in the case of American Airlines and Delta as well would be the next day or would you have to leave the airport and go back through the whole process again?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dublin pre-clearance

Originally Posted by AmyCO
... and the probability of them letting me in only goes down if ive got an IV pending.
Ummm, no... it doesn't.

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbyrich
Will they hold the flight given that your are a ticketed passenger or would you be forced to remain in the cleared area until the next flight departed which in the case of American Airlines and Delta as well would be the next day...
It's really simple... they will not hold a flight for you.

... or would you have to leave the airport and go back through the whole process again?
The decision to leave and return is entirely yours.

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Will they hold the flight given that your are a ticketed passenger or would you be forced to remain in the cleared area until the next flight departed which in the case of American Airlines and Delta as well would be the next day or would you have to leave the airport and go back through the whole process again?
No, they will not hold the flight for you. It would be the same for any passenger who has not made the last call, they leave without you and you have to get new tickets for another flight.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
No, they will not hold the flight for you. It would be the same for any passenger who has not made the last call, they leave without you and you have to get new tickets for another flight.
So what happens if a similar situation should arise if for example I was on a flight that landed at Shannon so passengers clear immigration there while they take on fuel and supplies some flights from Dublin do that don't they and you get hit with the secondary checkpoint? You would be offloaded at that point?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's really simple... they will not hold a flight for you.

The decision to leave and return is entirely yours.

Ian
Would you be allowed to remain in the departure lounge over night if you missed the American Airlines chicago flight on the monday but could be booked on the tuesday. What happened with people during the ash cloud business earlier this year?

If you depart and return would you receive a fresh 90 day stamping or would you be allowed through on the previous day's stamping?

Last edited by rugbyrich; Nov 29th 2010 at 3:05 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if a similar situation should arise if for example I was on a flight that landed at Shannon so passengers clear immigration there while they take on fuel and supplies some flights from Dublin do that don't they and you get hit with the secondary checkpoint? You would be offloaded at that point?

Not sure what you are asking and why. But if you are on a flight making a stop in Shannon which is ongoing to the US, then you would stay on the plane and clear customs in the US and not in Dublin.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what you are asking and why. But if you are on a flight making a stop in Shannon which is ongoing to the US, then you would stay on the plane and clear customs in the US and not in Dublin.
Shannon has immigration too, some flights do get passengers off at Shannon to do immigration (typically there are lots of people joining the plane at Shannon and not too many coming from Dublin).
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Would you be allowed to remain in the departure lounge over night if you missed the American Airlines chicago flight on the monday but could be booked on the tuesday. What happened with people during the ash cloud business earlier this year?

If you depart and return would you receive a fresh 90 day stamping or would you be allowed through on the previous day's stamping?

I take if you are a novice flyer and are not well versed in traveling to foreign countries.

These are questions you should be asking of your travel agent.

As for receiving a new 90 day stamp, no you will not receive a new 90 day stamp. And yes, you can stay in the lounge. I did when my flight was cancelled to NY and I had to wait for the new flight that I was re-scheduled to take.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
Shannon has immigration too, some flights do get passengers off at Shannon to do immigration (typically there are lots of people joining the plane at Shannon and not too many coming from Dublin).
Thank you for that information. So if he were on the Shannon plane which needed to refuel in Dublin to continue on to the US then would he need to redo customs. He would not have to redo customs if he did so in Shannon. Even if he had to get off the Shannon originated plane and replane in Dublin to the US, he would not go through customs again since it is a connecting flight and he never left the terminal.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that information. So if he were on the Shannon plane which needed to refuel in Dublin to continue on to the US then would he need to redo customs. He would not have to redo customs if he did so in Shannon. Even if he had to get off the Shannon originated plane and replane in Dublin to the US, he would not go through customs again since it is a connecting flight and he never left the terminal.
Planes don't go Shannon -> Dublin -> US, Shannon is on the west coast. occasionally planes go Dublin -> Shannon -> US with many passengers joining the plane at Shannon and those that started from Dublin getting off and doing immigration there. It's a weird situation and is a legacy of the 'Shannon stopover' where a certain % of flights to the US were required to stop in Shannon to bring money to the airport.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:27 pm
Banned

I take if you are a novice flyer and are not well versed in traveling to foreign countries.

These are questions you should be asking of your travel agent.

As for receiving a new 90 day stamp, no you will not receive a new 90 day stamp. And yes, you can stay in the lounge. I did when my flight was cancelled to NY and I had to wait for the new flight that I was re-scheduled to take.
I am actually more concerned with missing the Chicago St Louis flight than anything else. It is as broad as it is long financially going Dublin or Manchester into Chicago and ownwards. I guess it is on me to ensure I roll upto the immigration and check in desks in plenty of time. Thanks for the help

Last edited by rugbyrich; Nov 29th 2010 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
So what if a passenger get sent to secondary checkpoint at Shannon after boarding in Dublin or even Heathrow I remember reading in the papers about the BA Business only flights that clear Shannon. Would that passenger be offloaded if he is facing an hour and half delay in secondary or would the plane be held while you where processed?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So what if a passenger get sent to secondary checkpoint at Shannon after boarding in Dublin or even Heathrow I remember reading in the papers about the BA Business only flights that clear Shannon. Would that passenger be offloaded if he is facing an hour and half delay in secondary or would the plane be held while you where processed?
I have moved this thread over to the general immigration forum; it's a good place to discuss hypothetical situations and permutations and several posters here have more experience with the regulations concerning the POEs you're discussing.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They do not hold planes.

When I have been delayed by Immigration and missed a connection the Airline have booked me on the next available flight. YMMV

I assumed that if you go through Immigration in Shannon you also go through Customs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.