Reload this Page >

Police Caution and I-130 Visa

Police Caution and I-130 Visa

Old May 13th 2018, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Carwenoblueboots is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Police Caution and I-130 Visa

Hi all,
really need some advice on my current visa application.
My case is currently being processed by the NVC and as I was looking up the documents required, I saw That I needed a Police certificate.
I currently have a simple (I think) caution for possession of banned ammunition (It was brought over in my bag accidentally after my previous trip to the US.
I have no other previous cautions, arrests or conviction.
Im incredibly scared that I'll be denied... or have some kind of issue. Anyone know if I'll be okay?
Im only 20 years old and pregnant! My husband is living in the US (and is a citizen), I just want to be with him now :'(
If anyone has any idea or advice that would be great.
Thanks again and hope to hear from you all soon.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Caution and I-130 Visa

You will need an ACRO police report and you will also need to call them to say that it's OK for the US Embassy to contact to confirm what your caution was for and when it took place, they may need to see further info so if you have any documentation include that at the interview.
Old May 14th 2018, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds awfully like a firearms violation.

Where you charged in the UK or Thailand? You seem to imply the UK, but for clarification. What offence exactly where you cautioned for?
Old May 14th 2018, 1:22 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That sounds awfully like a firearms violation.

Where you charged in the UK or Thailand? You seem to imply the UK, but for clarification. What offence exactly where you cautioned for?
Where'd Thailand come from she says it was brought back from the US
Old May 14th 2018, 1:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

She mentioned needing a Thai police certificate
Old May 14th 2018, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
She mentioned needing a Thai police certificate
LOL... she said That not Thai!
Old May 14th 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't one of the tests of inadmissability that the crime committed has to be a crime (or rather a CIMT) in the US? Possessing ammunition isn't of itself a crime in the US (although there are circumstances where it can be). I think we need a lot more detail from the OP as to exactly what happened.
Old May 14th 2018, 2:23 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by BigT103
LOL... she said That not Thai!
Oooooops. It IS monday morning!
Old May 14th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
Thank you for your various replies! Yes Im from the UK and need a UK police Certificate. The ammunition was accidentally brought over in my check in bag from Arizona (where the ammunition of course is not prohibited). I handed it in a week or so after I returned and realised I had it with me :O !
They questioned me and I explained what happened. Due to it being prohibited in the UK they had to give me a caution (a simple adult caution for possessing prohibited ammunition). This is my only offence and i never want to go through that again!
Hope that has clarified any confusion!
Thanks again all
Old May 14th 2018, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Also to explain, its not a firearms violation as it was only a magazine of ammunition.
Just for clarification purposes!
Old May 14th 2018, 4:32 pm
Often not so civil...

Will you be denied? Unlikely. Will you be delayed? Possibly.

Ultimately you MUST declare the caution as a conviction, because it is. By accepting the caution you pled guilty to the offence. I would go ahead and submit a SAR to the Police Station that you dealt with for any/all records of the incident.

Oh and FYI - it is a Firearms violation. The relevant statue is contained in the 1968 Firearms Act.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

How does a caution translate as a conviction? Sorry this is all very new to me. I'll be looking into getting the rest of the records just to be safe, so thank you for suggesting that.
Carwen.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:36 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Carwenoblueboots
How does a caution translate as a conviction? Sorry this is all very new to me. I'll be looking into getting the rest of the records just to be safe, so thank you for suggesting that.
Carwen.
Because by accepting the caution you are pleading guilty to the offense and accepting the caution as punishment. It's something that many people do not realize before accepting a caution. They think it's a simple form and then it's all done with. Not so, especially when you later want to emigrate to another country outside the EU..
Old May 14th 2018, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Ah okay thank you for explaining. Yes they dont really let you know that when you're there...!
Old May 14th 2018, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for all your help. Ive just applied for the police certificate and created an application for SAR from the police. I'll keep you all updated with any more news.
If you still have any advice or anything related to say, please keep posting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.