POE via Dublin, Ire.

Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:07 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POE via Dublin, Ire.

So tomorrow I'll be picking up my passport and envelope of documents so I can move to the United States. Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given me here during my own individual process.

I have one more question about the whole process, although I dunno if anyone will have the answer for me. When I move to the United States, it will be easiest for me to fly out of Birmingham International, but it requires a temporary layover in Dublin. As many of you probably know, there is a US Preclearance area in Dublin airport, as it is American soil. I figure if I connect through Dublin, I'd need to do the POE stuff there as it's American soil, but I'm wondering if that would complicate matters, since my immigration paperwork would need to be forwarded on to the United States. Is this method too messy to do? Would it be easier just to do all the POE stuff when I'm physically in the United States (I know technically I'm in the USA when I'm in that preclearance area, but you know what I mean) and therefore leave from Heathrow for a direct flight to Washington Dulles?

I'd love to know what you guys think.
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:44 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
... there is a US Preclearance area in Dublin airport, as it is American soil.
It's not actually American soil, although it is a protected area. The airport, including those areas used by US immigration, is still under Irish control and Irish law.


Is this method too messy to do?
No... quite doable.


Would it be easier just to do all the POE stuff when I'm physically in the United States...
From an immigration point of view there is no advantage one way or the other. It's entirely your choice. However, you'll have to contend with far fewer other immigrants if you do preclearance in Dublin... so that might be a real time saver for you.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:54 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Thanks for that. I just thought of another question. How long does the whole POE process take to do when you're first arriving with your immigration paperwork?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
It's not actually American soil, although it is a protected area. The airport, including those areas used by US immigration, is still under Irish control and Irish law.



No... quite doable.



From an immigration point of view there is no advantage one way or the other. It's entirely your choice. However, you'll have to contend with far fewer other immigrants if you do preclearance in Dublin... so that might be a real time saver for you.

Ian
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:02 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,157
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
Thanks for that. I just thought of another question. How long does the whole POE process take to do when you're first arriving with your immigration paperwork?
Depends on the volume.

Some on here have reported it taking hours... For me it was the time taken to get my luggage off the carousel - aka no delays.

I walked up to secondary, they greeted me, handed back my passport and waved me into the USA.

However, as you're intending going via preclearance it may be different. I've never gone via Dublin.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:11 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

I'm only thinking about it right no. If there's the potential for it to take a long time, I probably wouldn't do that and use an alternative method, like get a direct flight to Washington-Dulles from Heathrow instead, and do the whole thing there.

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
Depends on the volume.

Some on here have reported it taking hours... For me it was the time taken to get my luggage off the carousel - aka no delays.

I walked up to secondary, they greeted me, handed back my passport and waved me into the USA.

However, as you're intending going via preclearance it may be different. I've never gone via Dublin.
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:45 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
steveq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College Pa.
Posts: 1,520
steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
I'm only thinking about it right no. If there's the potential for it to take a long time, I probably wouldn't do that and use an alternative method, like get a direct flight to Washington-Dulles from Heathrow instead, and do the whole thing there.
We "entered" the USA on our O-1 visas at Dublin, it took a couple of minutes
steveq is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:56 am
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
If there's the potential for it to take a long time, I probably wouldn't do that and use an alternative method, like get a direct flight to Washington-Dulles from Heathrow instead, and do the whole thing there.
If you go via Dublin, you likely have only the people on your plane who need to get through US immigration - and most of those will be VWP tourists. If you fly to Dulles, you'll have not only your plane, but 50 others... all trying to get processed by US immigration at the same time. You could be stuck in immigration hall for hours!

As for the paperwork itself - about 10 minutes. However, if there are a lot of people who need processing then you could be waiting for hours before you're even seen by an officer.

So, as I said... entirely your choice!

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:02 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 352
scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

I immigrated on my K1 through Dublin and it was great, although I did have a 5 hour layover so no rush or stress. It took about 2 minutes to get through primary then perhaps another 10 in secondary. I then sat and drank Guinness for 4 hours :-)
scottyvisa is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:10 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's given me a lot to think about.

Somewhat off the subject, but I'd rather ask here than create another thread; do I have to pay the USCIS Immigration fee before I head to the United States, or can it be done after I get there? I searched for the term via the forum's engine, but I didn't get any real clarity.
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:14 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,157
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It's given me a lot to think about.

Somewhat off the subject, but I'd rather ask here than create another thread; do I have to pay the USCIS Immigration fee before I head to the United States, or can it be done after I get there? I searched for the term via the forum's engine, but I didn't get any real clarity.
I'm not sure what USCIS immigration fee you're on about?

You have the visa and passport in hand, so your next step is jump on a plane.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:15 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/im...nd-dos-case-id

This one, Tom. I thought I had to pay this for my green card to be produced.



Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
I'm not sure what USCIS immigration fee you're on about?

You have the visa and passport in hand, so your next step is jump on a plane.
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:20 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,157
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/im...nd-dos-case-id

This one, Tom. I thought I had to pay this for my green card to be produced.
Ah, sorry. My visa category was excluded from this requirement, hence not realizing.

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee

This says do it before travel.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:23 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
Ah, sorry. My visa category was excluded from this requirement, hence not realizing.

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee

This says do it before travel.
Yeah, I read that. The link I shared also said you could do it afterwards too, and since there are so many differing opinions, I thought I'd get some feedback on that, too. It's all good.
M4r7y is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:29 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,157
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by M4r7y View Post
Yeah, I read that. The link I shared also said you could do it afterwards too, and since there are so many differing opinions, I thought I'd get some feedback on that, too. It's all good.
So from reading, my interpretation is that there is nothing stopping you from entering the country and not paying. You will still be a permanent resident.

However, the stamp in the passport that you get on entry is only valid for one year when you enter.

So, to have proof of your permanent residency after that you'll need to have paid the fee and received a green card.

You will need this proof for having a driving licence, job etc.

I'd recommend avoiding delays and just paying it before you land. There seems to be little disadvantage to this.

Hopefully someone who has taken your route or knows more will reply.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:33 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
So from reading, my interpretation is that there is nothing stopping you from entering the country and not paying. You will still be a permanent resident.

However, the stamp in the passport that you get on entry is only valid for one year when you enter.

So, to have proof of your permanent residency after that you'll need to have paid the fee and received a green card.

You will need this proof for having a driving licence, job etc.

I'd recommend avoiding delays and just paying it before you land. There seems to be little disadvantage to this.

Hopefully someone who has taken your route or knows more will reply.
Yeah, I see the advantages. I can pay it off before I go. I get another month's pay after I leave the UK, so I thought about using that and paying it while I was in the United States, that's all.
M4r7y is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.