Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

please read and help if you can (was WTC and my fiance)

please read and help if you can (was WTC and my fiance)

Old Sep 18th 2001, 9:12 pm
Michael Cottrell

Today I spoke with my congressmans office and I was told that the INS has chenged, if
not reversed its tune on what they will be able to do for people in situations such
as mine. (if you dont know the situation please refer to my previous post) they have
decided not to implement any sort of prioitization for K-1 applications even given
the dangerous circumstances for applicants in potential war zones. I understand the
desire for more thorough evaluations of application given that the INS has come under
scrutiny for mistakes they may(or may not) have made which contibuted to terrorist
activity in the U.S. however, nothing about this political situation effects the
legitimacy of my application and unneccessary delay of legitimate applications in
this situation is UNACCEPTABLE! There is a very broad and vague policy held by the
directors of service centers which allows for the authority to make executive
decisions in a crisis. I don't know the exact wording, but it talks about life or
death situations, and I have avoided classifying my situation as such to avoid
sounding hysterical and mellow dramatic, but this very well may be a life or death
situation. this policy is just vague enough to allow them to either use it or hide
behind it as they see fit. they can scrutinize applications all they want, hell I
don't care how hard they look, my fiance is not a terrorist, butit doesn't do anyone
any good if they sit on their hands when the applicant could very well be dead when
they get around to reading it. okay, enough ranting (sorry) please help, please
contact your government representatives and ask them to conact the INS and tell them
to take us seriously, ask them to help find an equitable way to implement policy that
effects all of us in our struggle to bring our families together. policies made in
the near future could very well effect everyone on this group. if you don't already
know who your representatives are, its easy to find out. just do a simple web search
for representatives in your state. and here are a few other resources

http://www.webcom.com/~leavitt/cong.html :congressional email addresses and
contact info

http://www.house.gov/writerep/ look up your representative

http://clerkweb.house.gov/107/olm107.php3 here are all the names alphabetically by
state, then just look em up in the phone book

Old Sep 19th 2001, 12:05 am
Michael Voight

You are asking INS to rush processing at a time when they clearly want to be more
careful about who is getting a visa.

You have suggested that she could move to Moscow to resolve the issue.

That said, where is the danger and need to rush INS for her safety?

Once in Moscow, she could get a K-1 or IR-1.

Michael