Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please help me, K1 almost completed!

Please help me, K1 almost completed!

Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

theacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nice
Exclamation Please help me, K1 almost completed!

Hey guys, so my K1 petition has been approved, and the NVC has sent the petition on to the US embassy in London (im British , fiance is American). now its all hitting home about how soon ill be going back, and it feels like suddenly everything is getting intense, i don't know what i'm even doing and researching online doesn't really help. What do i do? i'm still waiting on my letter to come in the post with an interview date on it, is there anything i can do in the mean time? can i do any of these things and how do i do them/ how much do they cost? do i even need them, when can i do them if so?
-medical records
-medical exam
-criminal record background check
-passport sized photos taken
-will i have to go to London twice for the medical check and then again for the interview? i live in Manchester and I've never even been there before, its the other side of the country... i'm planning on getting the train to Manchester city center, then again to London, does this sound like the best plan?
-what forms do i need? where do i get them and when? then once filled out what do i do with it all?
-what do i take with me to the interview? so far i have evidence for our relationship (movie tickets/photos/love letters and cards) i also have the package that the lawyer sent for our petition, which includes all our info and photo copies of plane tickets and letters etc...

I'm sure I've left a lot more out but please help me, all answers are GREATLY appreciated, as you can tell i'm kinda lost and worrying now i'm getting towards the end of the whole thing.

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me, K1 almost completed!

You have paid for a lawyer? Sounds to me like you should ask him/her, that's what you're paying them for, isn't it?

It sounds like you, and your lawyer, still have a lot to do, .... not sure why you haven't already got your criminal background check done, and a date for your medical? I would presume that your lawyer will advise you, and it's not for us to provide alternative or contradictory advice.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theacequinn
What do i do?
My first response is to say "ask your lawyer", since you have one. Otherwise, try reading our K-1 Wiki Guide to see if that answers any of your questions, here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

i'm still waiting on my letter to come in the post with an interview date on it, is there anything i can do in the mean time?
Oh yes!

can i do any of these things and how do i do them/ how much do they cost? do i even need them, when can i do them if so?
-medical records
-medical exam
-criminal record background check
-passport sized photos taken
You'll definitely need to get your ACRO police certificate first, because you will need to take a copy of it to your medical exam. Then you'll need to book your medical exam and get that done, because the embassy won't schedule an interview until they receive the results of the exam. In the meantime, get the passport size photos done. Others have posted as to how much the police certificate and medical cost, you can try doing a search on this forum for those posts.

-will i have to go to London twice for the medical check and then again for the interview?
Probably, because the embassy won't schedule your interview until they receive the results of your medical. There's usually a 4 - 6 week wait in between medical and visa interview.

-what forms do i need? where do i get them and when? then once filled out what do i do with it all?
For these questions, see the US Embassy London's website regarding the K-1 process. It lists all the forms you need there, and tells you what they need ahead of time, if anything.

-what do i take with me to the interview?
Originals of any forms required, plus a photocopy. A photocopy of any originals which were provided already. Originals plus a photocopy of evidence of ongoing relationship. You'll bring the I-134 affidavit of support plus backup evidence to the interview. You might also bring new letters of intent from you and your fiancee, if too much time has passed since the I-129F approval.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

-will i have to go to London twice for the medical check and then again for the interview? i live in Manchester and I've never even been there before, its the other side of the country... i'm planning on getting the train to Manchester city center, then again to London, does this sound like the best plan?
Probably you'll have to. I recall there was someone who posted here a little while ago who lived in the Western Isles of Scotland and so did get a dispensation from the consular section to do the medical and interview on the same day (which meant they'd have to wait for the ConOff to receive the medical results before the visa could be issued). However, seeing as Manchester is just over 2 hrs from London by Mr Branson's fast, shiny and almost comfortable trains, I wouldn't bet on them doing the same for people coming from there.

Once you have a date for either of your trips to London, book an advanced purchase rail ticket for that trip as soon as you can - you can usually get a reasonable fare that way. Buying a "walk-up" ticket on the day will almost certainly be eyewateringly expensive. If you're lucky you can even find reasonably priced first class tickets if you can book sufficiently far in advance (and they're worth it if you can afford it - cattle class on a Pendolino is very uncomfortable).

Bear in mind that the cheapest fares require you to travel on the train you're booked on, and this is strictly enforced. If you book through from your home station, and your connecting train to Manchester is late and you miss your booked train, you shouldn't be penalised in that case, but allow plenty of time to complete your business in London when deciding which train to book for the return journey.

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 30th 2013 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

theacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nicetheacequinn is just really nice

Thanks for the info about the trains Roy. I have just contacted my lawyer and talked to him about my worries and he kinda helped, the reason i avoided doing so is he charges quite alot of money for his "help" which quite often he dodges the question, forcing me to ask again and charging me double... and calls with him are even higher so we both try and avoid unessicary contact.
And Rene if im to understand " There's usually a 4 - 6 week wait in between medical and visa interview" then the letter i am waiting on is simply an invitation for me to call and book a medical apointment to attend, then 4-6 weeks after ive been and done that i have my interview? if so thanks for the info, i was under the impression that when the mail finally comes it would just be a letter saying "come to london 1week from now, this date and time for medical, and a further week for interview. this is ok that it acctually slows down the pace a little... even if it does drag out the process another month haha :/

ok so my too do for now are get passport photos done, wait on letter then get my criminal back ground check and vacine records then when the time arrives go to the medical examination, then once i come home, they send another letter too which ifill in the enclosed forms and make photo copies of them and photo copies of any extra evidence i have of our relationship and basically all documents including my birth certificate?

thankyou for your help guys, youre all great.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...then the letter i am waiting on is simply an invitation for me to call and book a medical apointment to attend, then 4-6 weeks after ive been and done that i have my interview?
As soon as you have your LND number (which NVC assigns), you should book your medical, if you have your police certificate in hand. You won't receive a notice to book your medical (although you might get instructions from the embassy on how to book it, but it won't really be an invitation to do so). You can book it yourself when you know your LND case number. You call the doctor directly and make your own appointment date.

i was under the impression that when the mail finally comes it would just be a letter saying "come to london 1week from now, this date and time for medical, and a further week for interview. this is ok that it acctually slows down the pace a little... even if it does drag out the process another month haha :/
You'll receive a notice of your interview date, which won't be until the embassy receives your medical results. You won't get one letter for both the medical date and the interview date in the same letter.

ok so my too do for now are get passport photos done, wait on letter then get my criminal back ground check and vacine records...
I wouldn't wait for any letter to do these. Order your police certificate now, get your vaccination records now. You don't need a letter to get these done.

.. then when the time arrives go to the medical examination,
You book your own medical exam date, and you'll need your police certificate in hand by the date of the medical.

then once i come home, they send another letter too which ifill in the enclosed forms and make photo copies of them and photo copies of any extra evidence i have of our relationship and basically all documents including my birth certificate?
I don't know how many letters they send or in what format (email, regular mail...)

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou very much, ill be getting ym vaccine records and passport photos and criminal check done ASAP then so to help speed everything along, i dont suppose you know the exact name of what the police check is called do you? like what id ask for in the police station? thankyou very much youre very helpful and a great mod.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and my fiance has 1 passport sized photo of me she can send with my birth certificate, is that enough or do i need 2/4?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:21 pm

Thankyou very much, ill be getting ym vaccine records and passport photos and criminal check done ASAP then so to help speed everything along, i dont suppose you know the exact name of what the police check is called do you? like what id ask for in the police station? thankyou very much youre very helpful and a great mod.
Try our Wiki Guide: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:22 pm

Oh and my fiance has 1 passport sized photo of me she can send with my birth certificate, is that enough or do i need 2/4?
You'll have to look at the instructions for the medical, visa applications, and visa interview to determine how many passport-size photos you'll need. I'm sorry, I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Rene