Reload this Page >

Please Help I751 Question

Please Help I751 Question

Old Apr 1st 2006, 12:37 am
Just Joined

IOW Guy in USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help I751 Question

Hi

Today is a happy day as I received my notice saying that my conditions have been lifted and to book infopass appointment etc.

My query is that is says on the letter:

"You should not travel outside the USA before receiving your new card unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this service indicating that your new card is being processed."

Now my problem is that I'm travelling back home very soon. I do have the letter granting 1year extension and my expired green card but the above statement seems to contradict the purpose of the letter

If I can't make it to the appointment before I go back home to visit can I still travel as I would have before I received this letter (with the letter and expired GC) and if I do go to the appointment before vacation will I get a stamp that would solve this problem?

I'm really happy to receive the letter but just a little worried about the travelling. Your advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Mark
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help I751 Question

Originally Posted by IOW Guy in USA
If I can't make it to the appointment before I go back home to visit can I still travel as I would have before I received this letter (with the letter and expired GC)...
There is no issue with you going home... the issue is whether or not you'll be allowed back in to the US. As you pointed out, the information seems contradictory. Since the I-751 supersedes the expired GC and letter, my advice would be to not travel... as you no longer have proof of your status.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no issue with you going home... the issue is whether or not you'll be allowed back in to the US. As you pointed out, the information seems contradictory. Since the I-751 supersedes the expired GC and letter, my advice would be to not travel... as you no longer have proof of your status.
what about an info pass appointment to get a temp stamp, bringing tickets and all the gubins?
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
what about an info pass appointment to get a temp stamp, bringing tickets and all the gubins?
Problem is that I've tried to book an infopass appointment but it says there are non at this time. It's a pain in the a** as I have no idea how long I have to wait to just have an appointment.

The original letter received when I filed I751 is good until this November with exp GC. After all I would have used that had I not received the letter today. Jeez this is bittersweet for sure!!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem is that I've tried to book an infopass appointment but it says there are non at this time. It's a pain in the a** as I have no idea how long I have to wait to just have an appointment.

The original letter received when I filed I751 is good until this November with exp GC. After all I would have used that had I not received the letter today. Jeez this is bittersweet for sure!!
Hi:

Why can't you use the exension letter? Just curious.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Why can't you use the exension letter? Just curious.

That's my exact question. I mean the extension letter is what i WAS going to use before I received the letter today with the quote I listed above. the extension letter is still valis as I'm planning to go back home in may and it expires in November
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

needhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant future

can you please tell me which service center did you file? And when did you file?
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you may have a choice available to you.

Many people report that it is easier to get an InfoPass appt if they try later in the evening hours. Cancelled appointments are put back in the pool of available slots.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 3:20 am
rodeo501 via ImmigrationKB.com

+1

Please tell us when did you file and which service center.
Good luck travelling.

Best

IOW Guy in USA wrote:
    >Hi
    >Today is a happy day as I received my notice saying that my conditions
    >have been lifted and to book infopass appointment etc.
    >My query is that is says on the letter:
    >"You should not travel outside the USA before receiving your new card
    >unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this service
    >indicating that your new card is being processed."
    >Now my problem is that I'm travelling back home very soon. I do have
    >the letter granting 1year extension and my expired green card but the
    >above statement seems to contradict the purpose of the letter
    >If I can't make it to the appointment before I go back home to visit can
    >I still travel as I would have before I received this letter (with the
    >letter and expired GC) and if I do go to the appointment before vacation
    >will I get a stamp that would solve this problem?
    >I'm really happy to receive the letter but just a little worried about
    >the travelling. Your advice will be very much appreciated!
    >Thanks
    >Mark

--
Message posted via http://www.immigrationkb.com

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi I filed at VSC and August 8th 2005 so the processing times grid at the USCIS website is very accurate indeed. I still havent had any definitive answer to my question though - can anyone help me? I'm paranoid about using the letter to reenter as I've received approval for unconditional GC and the quote I listed in my original post seems to contradict using the letter - unless its pertaining to travel assuming the letter has expired which makes sense as the letter of approval doesn't say you have to make an appointment within a specific period of time to process the new 10yr GC.

Rete or any other of the biggies on this site can you help me with this! = )

Originally Posted by rodeo501 via ImmigrationKB.com
+1

Please tell us when did you file and which service center.
Good luck travelling.

Best

OW Guy in USA wrote:
    >Hi
    >Today is a happy day as I received my notice saying that my conditions
    >have been lifted and to book infopass appointment etc.
    >My query is that is says on the letter:
    >"You should not travel outside the USA before receiving your new card
    >unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this service
    >indicating that your new card is being processed."
    >Now my problem is that I'm travelling back home very soon. I do have
    >the letter granting 1year extension and my expired green card but the
    >above statement seems to contradict the purpose of the letter
    >If I can't make it to the appointment before I go back home to visit can
    >I still travel as I would have before I received this letter (with the
    >letter and expired GC) and if I do go to the appointment before vacation
    >will I get a stamp that would solve this problem?
    >I'm really happy to receive the letter but just a little worried about
    >the travelling. Your advice will be very much appreciated!
    >Thanks
    >Mark

--
Message posted via http://www.immigrationkb.com
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I filed at VSC and August 8th 2005 so the processing times grid at the USCIS website is very accurate indeed. I still havent had any definitive answer to my question though - can anyone help me? I'm paranoid about using the letter to reenter as I've received approval for unconditional GC and the quote I listed in my original post seems to contradict using the letter - unless its pertaining to travel assuming the letter has expired which makes sense as the letter of approval doesn't say you have to make an appointment within a specific period of time to process the new 10yr GC.

Rete or any other of the biggies on this site can you help me with this! = )
Hi:

It is interesting to watch paranoia in action -- even when that paranoia may be justified. Also, the approval letter is BOILERPLATE language.

You know what you want. You know what documentation you have. Act accordingly. What will the CBP guys and girls do? That is ALWAYS a question. Aliens should never travel if they have overbearing fear. They are submitting to the inspection of people who have been granted overwhelming power and the discretion to use it.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice guys. Mr F I agree with you about how the laborious and sometimes over regulated and cryptic USCIS laws and literature generate paranoia!

I followed a previous poster's advice and tried to apply for info pass in the evening and guess what? I got an appointment on my first try!

Of course it wasn't on a day that I was off work so I had to sort that out but it was all worth it. I was astounded at how quiet the immigration office was now they use info pass. I was seen 2 minutes after my appointment time and given the 1yr stamp in my passport (travelling is all set now = ). I did the quick fingerprint in the office, signed a few forms and I was done - now I have to wait for my 10yr GC. I am so happy!!

I did notice that some people arrived with no info pass appointment and still were served which surprised me. I was under the impression one needs an info pass receipt to even get inside the building but nope apparently not. You guys have any more input on that?

Good luck to all you fellow Ex Pats out there embarking on the immigration roller coaster. I went the K1 route - long and tiring but in the end it's immensely satisfying to live in this great country legally and partake in the prosperity and opportunity it rewards. Keep the faith!

Mark
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I did notice that some people arrived with no info pass appointment and still were served which surprised me. I was under the impression one needs an info pass receipt to even get inside the building but nope apparently not. You guys have any more input on that?
I had the same impression and experience as you.. maybe it depends on the District Office policy? It seems there have always been lots of differences between DOs.