Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please can I have advice on I-129F from you great ppl???

Wikiposts

Please can I have advice on I-129F from you great ppl???

Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Helen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really nice
Default Re: Please can I have advice on I-129F from you great ppl???

Firstly happy 2010 to you all!
And secondly thanks for all your help as my fiancee in the US recieved the I-797 NOA on the 23rd dec couldnt have doen it without all your help!
My question now is what is the next step? Is there anything we can be doing whilst we are waiting for our I-129F to be approved or do we just sit tight? Am I right in estimating this will take atleast 2mths from the date we got our NOV?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen23
Firstly happy 2010 to you all!
And secondly thanks for all your help as my fiancee in the US recieved the I-797 NOA on the 23rd dec couldnt have doen it without all your help!
My question now is what is the next step? Is there anything we can be doing whilst we are waiting for our I-129F to be approved or do we just sit tight? Am I right in estimating this will take atleast 2mths from the date we got our NOV?

Thanks
It can take 4 to 6 months for the I-129F approval. In the meantime, you can get any police certificates you might need.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Helen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It can take 4 to 6 months for the I-129F approval. In the meantime, you can get any police certificates you might need.

Rene
How do I find out what police certificates I need? my embassy will be london.

Also what is your advice about visiting my fiancee in the states whilst im waiting? I wouldnt be able to visit till end of march due to my last VWP
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How do I find out what police certificates I need?
You need a police certificate for every country you've lived for longer than 12 months since age 16. If you've only ever lived in the UK, start here: http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need a police certificate for every country you've lived for longer than 12 months since age 16. If you've only ever lived in the UK, start here: http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp.

Ian
Ian thanks for the link...im filling it out right now! However i'm wondering if I would need one for the year (12mths) I worked as an Aupair in Indiana? I lived with the family and was on a J-1 visa.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian thanks for the link...im filling it out right now! However i'm wondering if I would need one for the year (12mths) I worked as an Aupair in Indiana? I lived with the family and was on a J-1 visa.
No, you do not need a police certificate from the USA. USCIS will do its own security checks on you.

As for visiting the USA on the VWP while waiting...yes, it's allowed. Just make sure you bring proof of your ties to the UK, in case the POE officer asks.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene, I was confused after having seen some many people ask the same question worried they will be turned away at the POE! I saw somebody suggested flying via shannon to ensure you get through as they check before you board??
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene, I was confused after having seen some many people ask the same question worried they will be turned away at the POE! I saw somebody suggested flying via shannon to ensure you get through as they check before you board??
Helen

Us Immigration is cleared in Shannon so should you be turned away it's a lot closer to home. I looked at doing it this way but based on 'cheap airlines' and airfares there is little or no baggage allowance getting there, for me personally the cost of getting to Shannon (based on baggage allowance) was far greater than taking a risk and flying direct.

That ones up to you I guess.

Tracey
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice Tracey! How was it at the POE when u went?easy? what did u take with u? just out of curiosity how long did it take before u got ur approval? thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice Tracey! How was it at the POE when u went?easy? what did u take with u? just out of curiosity how long did it take before u got ur approval? thanks!
POE. I took, tenancy agreement, wage slips, bank statements, car loan doc, car reg doc, old Passport showing travel movements, utility bills, everything minus the kitchen sink. They didnt ask to see any but I was with my son who was having a long chat with the border guard about Redwood trees (I think son bored him to tears!) So I guess it really does depend on who you get on the day and what mood they are in, I have always adhered to VWP rules though so I guess that helps.

I'm doing a CR1 Visa so my timeframe is totally different to yours.

Tracey.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm I've flown to the US three times during our K1 visa processing, last one being 26th December to 3rd Jan. Each time I took a letter from my employer and this time around I took my Visa interview appointment letter.

I've never had to show anything other than my return flight details.

Questions I've been asked were:
are you travelling alone

who lives at XXXXXXX (to which I have always honestly replied Fiance, rather than boyfriend as I've seen others refer to. Personally I think it's easier to tell the absolute complete truth, as if you trip up later, then it calls in to question any and all of your responses).

when were you last here and for how long

when do you plan to get married (again I was absolutely truthful and said it depends on when the visa gets approved)

That's been about the height of it. I've also not read of too many cases where people get sent back unless they've had long extended trips (mine have been mainly one or two weeks at a time) which look as though the person might be attempting to spend more time in the US than out. So unless you fit that category I think I'd say just relax a little, bring evidence of your ties to the UK and your intent to return and you'll be fine!

Oh and edited to add:
Evidence we submitted were my passport stamps, copies of the flight intineries and boarding passes where I had them. Pics of us together and of my fiance with my family. Copies of call logs from Yahoo chat (our preferred method of speaking to one another - it's free lol!) and copies of mobile bills from us both highlighting our daily text contact. Oh and copy of the receipt for my engagement ring! That was about it!

Last edited by MandyNi; Jan 5th 2010 at 12:58 am.