Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please advise - wanting to marry & move to US

Please advise - wanting to marry & move to US

Old Mar 28th 2023, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please advise - wanting to marry & move to US

Originally Posted by Zomboid81
.... I can't drive. ....
Unable to, or just haven't got around to learning yet? ... Life in Texas, in deed in most of the US, will be more difficult and more time consuming if you are unable to drive as public transport is patchy to non-existent in most places.

When I leave my home, not only is there no public transport available (within several miles, and extremely limited even then), there are no sidewalks, making walking wildly impractical once I reach the main road, and that road is so narrow that riding a bicycle on it would be suicidal, though incredibly I do occasionally see a cyclist out there.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Zomboid81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was learning back when I was 17 in the UK but never got my license. I don't know how I'd do over there,was sorta freaked out with speed limits and general behaviour I saw when I was in Texas, drivers don't take prisoners!!
Old Mar 29th 2023, 12:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zomboid81
I was learning back when I was 17 in the UK but never got my license. I don't know how I'd do over there,was sorta freaked out with speed limits and general behaviour I saw when I was in Texas, drivers don't take prisoners!!
Well I guess you have some time to work it out, because life in Texas is going to be awkward, annoying, and challenging if you aren't able to drive yourself around. .... And yes, drivers in the US can be a bit crazy, though generally IME American drivers drive slower than drivers in the UK. .... That might have changed recently, as drivers in NC seemed to have picked up about 10mph since the pandemic, and blanket application of speed cameras in the UK may have tamed drivers there.

Driving on the interstate when there are full size American tractor-trailers (articulated lorries), which are at least 30% longer than a full size British lorries, and the American trucks are generally not speed restricted, so can, and do, do 80mph! Yes, the usual legal speed limit is 70, like the UK.

A question that has come up at least once before on BE, and opinion was divided on, is whether it is worth learning to drive in the UK if you're planning to leave and live in the US? Personally I lean towards "yes,it's worth it", as a lot of the techniques will carry straight over, and you will probably get more rigorous training in the UK. It may not actually be worth taking the test, so that's debatable. ... Road tests in the US are an utter joke - 5 minutes around the block, prove you know to stop at a STOP sign, and a red traffic light, and so long as you don't kill anyone during your test you'll be fine. And you're given a full, unrestricted licence if you take your road test in an automatic.

Do download a PDF of the Texas DMV drivers manual and read that - paying attention to things like the rules for stopping when a school bus is picking up or dropping off kids, and the limits, laws and penalties for drinking and driving.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 29th 2023 at 12:39 am.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 4:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I never drove in the UK, and moved to the US at age 30. I spent some time driving with my wife on a leaners permit (maybe 10 hours) and then walked straight in and passed my theory and practical 'tests'

They were not difficult.

As with most education, you don't start learning until you get out there on your own anyway.
Old Apr 11th 2023, 8:18 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I only ever had a motorcycle license (passed first time). I failed my UK driving test twice, then subsequently gave up and stuck with my motorcycle. On moving to the US a car is a must! Once I was able to get my learners permit I applied, practiced, passed my theory, then on test day passed first time. The test here is sooooo much easier (I passed in MA). It was odd driving on the right side of the road, but got used to it in no time. On my learners permit I drove down to NYC... that was an experience, my US wife was more nervous than me I think, lol
Old Apr 12th 2023, 6:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dual national US/UK brother-in-law is visiting and I asked him his experience. He took the first test in London on a manual transmission car. He failed because your technique for starting up a hill has to be perfect. He passed with flying colors in Cambridge with no test on a hill. On one test item, the examiner asked if he learned to drive in the US? When given an affirmative answer the examiner noted “we do it different” and did not ding him. Another error was noted but examiner said that that model of rental car had a unique arrangement of controls and also did not ding him.

I have noted that here in California it is common for new drivers (never licensed anywhere) to fail the first time. If driver has been already licensed elsewhere, usually pass.