Petitioning Parents

Old Nov 16th 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Petitioning Parents

I am trying to understand the process to petitioning parents, so far I have these listed but not sure of the correct order and what is missing?

* File 2 I-130 forms for EACH parent

* Pay $420 for each parent ($840)

* Wait for Receipt from USCIS?

* Get approval of I-130?

* Submit 2 forms I-864 for EACH parent.

* Wait to be asked to go in for medicals in Knightsbridge (does anyone know how much it costs)

* Interview at US Embassy in London.

Am I missing anything in this one year process?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petitioning Parents

Originally Posted by whatadiva
* File 2 I-130 forms for EACH parent
No, just ONE I-130 form for each parent. Two total.

* Wait for Receipt from USCIS?
Yes. NOA1 will be the notice saying USCIS received the I-130. NOA2 will be the I-130 approval notice.

* Get approval of I-130?
Yes.

* Submit 2 forms I-864 for EACH parent.
No, just ONE I-864 for each parent. Two total. Note that this request will come from NVC (not USCIS). There will be a fee for the I-864. NVC will also ask for original civil documents from the beneficiary (long form birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificates, military discharge certificates, etc). There will be the payment of the Immigrant Visa fee through NVC as well.

* Wait to be asked to go in for medicals in Knightsbridge (does anyone know how much it costs)
No, they won't be asked to go in for medicals. Once they have the LND case number (which NVC assigns), they need to call and book their own medical exam appointments. I'm not sure how much the exam costs.

* Interview at US Embassy in London.
Correct.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, just ONE I-130 form for each parent. Two total.

Yes. NOA1 will be the notice saying USCIS received the I-130. NOA2 will be the I-130 approval notice.

Yes.

No, just ONE I-864 for each parent. Two total. Note that this request will come from NVC (not USCIS). There will be a fee for the I-864. NVC will also ask for original civil documents from the beneficiary (long form birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificates, military discharge certificates, etc). There will be the payment of the Immigrant Visa fee through NVC as well.

No, they won't be asked to go in for medicals. Once they have the LND case number (which NVC assigns), they need to call and book their own medical exam appointments. I'm not sure how much the exam costs.

Correct.

Rene
what's the fee for form I-864??
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

i think i found it:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra..._3178.html#fee

When Is the I-864 Processing Fee Paid?
When your immigrant visa case is ready to begin processing at the NVC, the NVC will send an Affidavit of Support processing fee invoice and payment instructions to your petitioner.

so $88 x 2?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure how much the exam costs.
thanks, found the info 227GBP Per person
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/...-0001-1203.pdf
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

NVC will also ask for original civil documents from the beneficiary (long form birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificates, military discharge certificates, etc). There will be the payment of the Immigrant Visa fee through NVC as well.
Sorry, confused on this one. I thought form I-864 is associated with me being the sponsor, therefore I am submitting my tax records?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, confused on this one. I thought form I-864 is associated with me being the sponsor, therefore I am submitting my tax records?
Yes, you are the sponsor, and need to submit an I-864 along with all the backup evidence, including tax returns, proof of USCship, and proof of income.

The original civil documents that NVC requests is a separate thing...they are asking for the beneficiary's original documents (not yours).

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

The original civil documents that NVC requests is a separate thing...they are asking for the beneficiary's original documents (not yours).
oh ok, that i didn't know.

Is the DS-230 also a required form? as part of the processing of petitioning a parent?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What are you intending to do about health insurance for your parents?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

beneficiary's original documents (not yours).
Noorah; I read certified copies of the originals can also be submitted?
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3195.html
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:56 am

Is the DS-230 also a required form? as part of the processing of petitioning a parent?
The DS-230 is not part of the petitioning phase, no.

The DS-230 is the actual immigrant visa application (during the visa application phase).

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:58 am

Noorah; I read certified copies of the originals can also be submitted?
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3195.html
Yes, for example here in the USA the "original" birth certificate, or the "original" marriage certificate, is on file in a government facility. The best you can do is to obtain a certified copy of the original, directly from that government agency. That is what they're referring to. In other words, whatever you send in needs to be an original or certified copy....not a photocopy.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

ok, i will do more research (before I ask further questions) of the different parts and phases of bringing over a parent. I am trying to write a step by step process to give to my parents so they can get to learn about the process also and know what fees are involved!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, for example here in the USA the "original" birth certificate, or the "original" marriage certificate, is on file in a government facility. The best you can do is to obtain a certified copy of the original, directly from that government agency. That is what they're referring to. In other words, whatever you send in needs to be an original or certified copy....not a photocopy.

Rene

understood. thanks!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:03 am

ok, i will do more research (before I ask further questions) of the different parts and phases of bringing over a parent. I am trying to write a step by step process to give to my parents so they can get to learn about the process also and know what fees are involved!
Here's a link to the marriage-based variety...which is exactly the same, except for a spouse, not a parent. But the basic process is identical.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.