Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Petitioner address change notification

Petitioner address change notification

Old Sep 12th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petitioner address change notification

I'm currently nearing the final stage of a CR-1 visa application, ie post medical, pre interview!

My wife has recently had to change address and we're stumped as to who exactly we should inform about the change (great timing on her part but unfortunately it couldn't be helped!).

I will give verbal notification at the interview but do I inform USCIS as I would presume that they are the department who will eventually issue a Green card? - their 'online change of address' process confused me as it asks whether I have a pending application with them. The I-130 appears to be the only obvious option in the 'drop-down' list, however that is long since approved and there's no obvious other form that is relevant.
If I enter processed/not pending the form assumes I'm living in the States and wants me to note when I entered the country and won't accept a blank box.

NVC could be another avenue to try but my 'case status' shows as 'Ready', having already gone past 'In Transit' stage, meaning that all my paperwork is now at the Embassy and I would presume that I'm now done with them?

If anybody has any ideas/observations that may help us, they'd be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petitioner address change notification

If she's in the USA, no need to notify anyone. You can tell them at the interview.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If she's in the USA, no need to notify anyone. You can tell them at the interview.

Rene
Ta, presumably green card would come from USCIS after Embassy gives them the go ahead to issue it?
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The green card doesn't come until after you arrive in the USA using your immigrant visa. At the POE, you will verify the current USA address for mailing the green card.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The green card doesn't come until after you arrive in the USA using your immigrant visa. At the POE, you will verify the current USA address for mailing the green card.

Rene
Cheers, I realised that the card doesn't arrive until after I enter the US - hence wanting to know if I needed to inform any department other than the embassy, as I didn't much fancy living in one place and the card arriving at another
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I will give verbal notification at the interview...
This is all that needs to be done.

... their 'online change of address' process confused me as it asks whether I have a pending application with them.
You only need to complete an AR-11 if you move after you enter the US. It's irrelevant at this point in time.

Ian
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Cheers, I realised that the card doesn't arrive until after I enter the US - hence wanting to know if I needed to inform any department other than the embassy, as I didn't much fancy living in one place and the card arriving at another
Btw (obviously you will update at interview) but you are asked to confirm the address that you will be living at/have green card sent to when you arrive in the US.
If your address changes after that, you will file the AR-11 online to update your address as Ian points out (it's super easy) within 10 days (?) of move.
I did the AR-11 about a week or so after arrival and my greencard came to that updated address.

Last edited by sparkleandglitter; Sep 13th 2015 at 2:02 pm. Reason: add extra info
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkleandglitter
Btw (obviously you will update at interview) but you are asked to confirm the address that you will be living at/have green card sent to when you arrive in the US.
If your address changes following your interview but prior to entering the US, you can give the new address to the CBP officer who processes your visa on entry to the US - and that's where your GC will go.

If your address changes after that, you will file the AR-11 online to update your address as Ian points out (it's super easy) within 10 days (?) of move.
The AR-11 has nothing whatsoever to do with getting mail redirected - that's not its purpose. It's purpose is to tell the US where you are physically located... which, from their point of view, is a completely separate issue to where you get your mail.

I did the AR-11 about a week or so after arrival and my greencard came to that updated address.
You were lucky!

Ian
Old Sep 13th 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If your address changes following your interview but prior to entering the US, you can give the new address to the CBP officer who processes your visa on entry to the US - and that's where your GC will go.

The AR-11 has nothing whatsoever to do with getting mail redirected - that's not its purpose. It's purpose is to tell the US where you are physically located... which, from their point of view, is a completely separate issue to where you get your mail.

Ian
I'll be most put out if modom relocates in the next two months (not half as much as her though).

The USCIS site has an online 'wizard' type affair which claims to update your details and autocomplete an AR-11 for you at the same time...but is still only any use after POE.

I shall now go attach a post-it note to the front of my interview ready folder so that I don't forget the address on the day and hopefully the worst part of 30th September will be a sore backside!!!

(...as a result of the 460 mile round trip to London on a motorcycle!)
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

You were lucky!

Ian
Ian - I thought it was still going to my mother-in-law's and was told that it shouldn't change that when I called the customer service center. But it turned up here, so I'm a bit confused but you're right - I'm lucky - it saved her posting it to me!

Perhaps it's because I did it online - there was some mention online somewhere that if you did it online, you don't have to file a change of address too.

There's a spot for your mailing address if different - and I put the MIL's address there (I trust the post more as it's a house, not an apartment) - but it still came to me at my updated address...

It's all a bit of a mystery what happens - is that normal?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sparkleandglitter
It's all a bit of a mystery what happens - is that normal?
Yes - indeed, the entire immigration process is largely a mystery!

Ian