Permission to Travel

Old Sep 27th 2001, 2:24 am
Mary

This isn't really the forum for this type of question, but I thought maybe someone
might have some useful information. My niece received a tourist visa for the U.S.
which she says is good for ten years (I've never heard of a tourist visa being valid
that long). She did say, though, that she was given a six month period in which she
can travel outside of the U.S. and return with no problem. Does anyone know how she
can extend that in case she wants to travel back to her country after the six month
expiration? I thought advance parole or travel permission was only for people who are
under some sort of temporary resident status, not for those who hold tourist visas.
Any info you can provide will be much appreciated.

Old Sep 27th 2001, 2:58 am
Michael Voight

She has it backwards. The 10 year tourist visa is good for 10 years. The most she can
stay INSIDE the US is 6 months. She can request an extension beyond the 6 months.
However, this doesn't mean she can use it to reside in the US. She must still
maintain ties to her home country, like a job and residence. You wouldn't use it to
tie multiple 6 month periods together separated by a short time outside of the US.

Michael

Mary wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >