Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Permanent Resident in US marrying someone who is not a Permanent Resident

Permanent Resident in US marrying someone who is not a Permanent Resident

Old Jun 4th 2002, 12:20 am
James Donovan

Default Re: Permanent Resident in US marrying someone who is not a Permanent Resident

"Vladimir Jigounov" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] k.net>...
    > Dear All, I was told that if someone who is on H1b and get married just before
    > their last (3rd) stage of getting GC then spose will get GC too.

Yes that is true.

> Sounds like H1b people are free to get married to whoever they want and GC people
    > are restricted.

Yes that is unfair.

> I mean spose of H1b holder will get GC when H1b holder gets it (could get it in 1
    > month if application is in progress already) and spose of GC holder will get GC in
    > 6-7 years only? Is this true?

Yes this is true. This is an inequity which, IMHO, should have been corrected.
Legislation to correct this injustice should have been enacted INSTEAD of 245(i).

>
    > Vladimir.
    >
    > > Paul HelpDesk wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you are marrying a person who is already in the U.S., she is going to assume
    > > > the status as your spouse. There should not be any problem with her status.
    > >
    > >
    > > This turns out not to be the case when a U.S. permanent resident marries a person
    > > holding nonimmigrant status in the U.S. The nonimmigrant spouse will be unable to
    > > "assume the status as your spouse" for 6 or 7 years. In the meantime, the couple
    > > has a big problem.