Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Permanent Resident Divorces Sponsor, Demands I864 Support Payments

Permanent Resident Divorces Sponsor, Demands I864 Support Payments

Old Apr 25th 2006, 8:00 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Resident Divorces Sponsor, Demands I864 Support Payments

Originally Posted by fatbrit

BTW Wendy, you need to find a lawyer that has experience in both family and immigration law. Don't just choose one at random. You might like to print her/him the article cited above.
You know, that's the first thought that came into my head when I read that she got an appointment with a lawyer. Having done nothing for years (it appears), having spent countless hours reading up on 'the law', and spending several more days here asking questions and replying to posts, Wendy simply goes and makes an appointment with 'a lawyer'.

How much investigating has she done, what type of enquiries - how does she know this lawyer is experienced in this type of case?
Old Apr 25th 2006, 8:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You know, that's the first thought that came into my head when I read that she got an appointment with a lawyer. Having done nothing for years (it appears), having spent countless hours reading up on 'the law', and spending several more days here asking questions and replying to posts, Wendy simply goes and makes an appointment with 'a lawyer'.

How much investigating has she done, what type of enquiries - how does she know this lawyer is experienced in this type of case?

Unfortunately she's walked off in a huff. But that's a common reaction when facing the unpleasant.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd better at least cite it. Here you go:
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

BTW Wendy, you need to find a lawyer that has experience in both family and immigration law. Don't just choose one at random. You might like to print her/him the article cited above.
I did.

100 posts or so back!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 9:17 am
Mh

In article <[email protected]. com>,
WendySMF <[email protected]> wrote:
    >How am I client from hell? For asking questions. Oh as far as I am
    >concerned, one who asks a lot of questions is the one who is
    >intelligent here. The ones that think they know everything which I
    >don't, hence me posting on this site, seem to be the arrogant ones.

Wendy, I'll give you a small clue: when the varied advice of 20 different
people including a legal professional is summarily dismissed with "it's the
law, he's going to jail - her lawyer said so", then one has to wonder who
thinks they know everything....

MH

Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd better at least cite it. Here you go:
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

Hi:

Actually I'm not too sure of this. As I keep saying, the matter is one of contract and the immigration issues are actually ancillary.

Once a lawyer who does contract defense knows the facts, she would probably be able to work out a better strategy that an immigration lawyer by himself. In fact, this might be one of those situations where a "regular" civil attrorney consults with an immigration lawyer. It is not uncommon for lawyers to do this informally and without charge.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:00 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Actually I'm not too sure of this. As I keep saying, the matter is one of contract and the immigration issues are actually ancillary.

Once a lawyer who does contract defense knows the facts, she would probably be able to work out a better strategy that an immigration lawyer by himself. In fact, this might be one of those situations where a "regular" civil attrorney consults with an immigration lawyer. It is not uncommon for lawyers to do this informally and without charge.
You're the expert! If she mentions whereabouts she is, you could perhaps point her to a reputable referral service.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

The court order will direct him how much and when to pay.
Rene:

Although this is done for spousal support and child support, it is NOT done for contract judgements on periodic payments. I mentioned this elsewhere in the string.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rene:

Although this is done for spousal support and child support, it is NOT done for contract judgements on periodic payments. I mentioned this elsewhere in the string.
Oh, oops. Thanks.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
This made me think of something that frankly had not occured to me before.

What if Mr Huband still has a thing for the ex? Since we haven't heard his side of the story, maybe there is some other compelling reason he wants to support her financially.
Couldn't' confess this to the current Missus though. Would probably end in a loss of coffee in bed privileges.

Hey!! I called this back on p.1!!! ;o)
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Hey!! I called this back on p.1!!! ;o)

So you did!
That was a long time ago tho. You know us old folk forget stuff.
karmalove for you tho
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:13 pm
Septicity

Talking Re: Permanent Resident Divorces Sponsor, Demands I864 Support Payments

So you did!
karmalove for you tho
But that was before we had all the evidence! Just a lucky guess IMHO.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

So you did!
karmalove for you tho
Why, I believe you told me the last birthday you celebrated was only your 29th? You're not entitled to call yourself old, young lady!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

But that was before we had all the evidence! Just a lucky guess IMHO.
Actually it was my crystal ball... had it imported from Russia ya know. Highly accurate.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:27 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Actually it was my crystal ball... had it imported from Russia ya know. Highly accurate.

So...what are the numbers for Saturday's PowerBall? PM me, please. Don't want to share with everybody here.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

So...what are the numbers for Saturday's PowerBall? PM me, please. Don't want to share with everybody here.
Sorry, too specific of a question... like all good psychics, I can only give vague answers that can be interpreted either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.