Reload this Page >

Pending background check to approve @ AOS Interview

Pending background check to approve @ AOS Interview

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pending background check to approve @ AOS Interview

Hi,

My wife had her AOS interview this AM @ the San Jose, CA district office.

The interview went very well and smoothly. Since we had our toddler with us, there were hardly any questions at all about our marriage. Basically the officer, a very nice man by the way, just requested some documents from us to put in his file and asked the routine questions like if she was ever arrested.... He did ask for our medical. We gave him a sealed vaccination supplement from a local civil surgeon. He commented the medical was incomplete. We reminded him since my wife came in on a K-3 and a full medical was performed to get a K-3, a vaccination supplement by itself should suffice. He accepted our explanation.

It did surprise us a bit at the end that he couldn't put an I-551 stamp in her passport right away because the case still needed to go through a background check. But he did assure us that the BC should only take a few days and we should receive an approval letter in the mail in 2 weeks time frame unless something wrong came up from it. He also mentioned these days it took only 6-8 weeks for the plastic Green Card to arrive in the mail. If we had to travel before the card arrive, then make an appt on Infopass to go in for an I-551 stamp. If not, there were no further actions on our part.

I'm not worried about the approval since we don't expect any vice to pop up from the check. But does this sound right that a background check is done after the AOS interview? I thought it was done long time ago when she was fingerprinted. Again, of course they can also worry a lot of things could've happened between then and now.

By the way, I don't know if this applies to all CIS office. No cameras are allowed at the San Jose office, that includes those tiny ones on a PDA or a cell phone. I was turned away first by the security because of it and had to put it away. No, you can't leave it with the officer. They don't want that responsibility.

Here is our time line for ref.
I-485 filed: 8/15/04
finger print date: roughly a month later
Interim EAD: visited San Jose office after 90 days to get an interim EAD issued
regular EAD: arrived 4-5 months later after 8/15/04
AOS interview: today - 3/23/05
Approval letter: ?
Plastic Green Card: ?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pending background check to approve @ AOS Interview

Congratulations, Alex!

Rene
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:41 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alex_lg
It did surprise us a bit at the end that he couldn't put an I-551 stamp in her passport right away because the case still needed to go through a background check. But he did assure us that the BC should only take a few days and we should receive an approval letter in the mail in 2 weeks time frame unless something wrong came up from it.

I'm not worried about the approval since we don't expect any vice to pop up from the check. But does this sound right that a background check is done after the AOS interview? I thought it was done long time ago when she was fingerprinted. Again, of course they can also worry a lot of things could've happened between then and now.
If they havent received the namecheck results in the last 6 months, then what makes them think that they will be complete in the next 2 weeks? And if they are just starting the namecheck process, then isnt the minimum time 4-6 weeks? Hmmm.

There is nothing you can do at this point but wait and see how it works out. For more information about the FBI namechecks, click on the link in my signature line.

Good Luck!
Marnee

P.S. I thought that k-3ers did have to have a whole new medical exam done... But maybe that is because it is only good for a year? Congratulations on the successful interview!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Default AOS Interview Time Line @ San Jose

Hi All,

As promised by the San Jose office, we received our approval letter today for AOS! I really don't know what to say about the so called pending background check at the time of the interview. As some of you pointed out earlier how could they know it would finish in the next week or two? If they knew that, why did they not just postpone the interview until after the BC was done. Anyway, they can do whatever they want.

One quick question. On the approval letter it doesn't mention whether my wife will get a regular or conditional Green Card. It reads Adj Class to be "IR6". Does this mean anything to anyone? We have been married for more than 2 years at the time we filed I-485 and should get a regular GC unless they really mess it up.

Thanks in adv.

Alex

Update of our time line:
AOS interview: 3/23/05, I-551 stamp was not issued pending background check
Approval letter: 4/2/05
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Time Line @ San Jose

We interviewed at the San Francisco office and I got the impression that they only asked for our background check when we showed up that morning. They kept us waiting in the waiting room long after everyone else had been called - I presume because she was hoping our background check would show up. Then during the interview she commented that she was going to go check one more time and see if the background check results were in. Weird.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One quick question. On the approval letter it doesn't mention whether my wife will get a regular or conditional Green Card. It reads Adj Class to be "IR6". Does this mean anything to anyone? We have been married for more than 2 years at the time we filed I-485 and should get a regular GC unless they really mess it up.
Hi Alex,

I believe the "IR" indicates the 10-year green card. The initials "CR" are for the conditional 2-year card.

Best Wishes and Congratulations!
Rene
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Alex,

I believe the "IR" indicates the 10-year green card. The initials "CR" are for the conditional 2-year card.

Best Wishes and Congratulations!
Rene
Hi Rene,

That's great to know. Thank you so much!

Rgds,
Alex
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Garfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really nice

Alex, Background check is not done after the interview. It is started when you to get your fingerprints done. Its just that the results dont come back to the officer by the time of the interview and he cant approve the case until they do. Best of you luck. I been waiting 15 months for mine to come back

Hi,

My wife had her AOS interview this AM @ the San Jose, CA district office.

The interview went very well and smoothly. Since we had our toddler with us, there were hardly any questions at all about our marriage. Basically the officer, a very nice man by the way, just requested some documents from us to put in his file and asked the routine questions like if she was ever arrested.... He did ask for our medical. We gave him a sealed vaccination supplement from a local civil surgeon. He commented the medical was incomplete. We reminded him since my wife came in on a K-3 and a full medical was performed to get a K-3, a vaccination supplement by itself should suffice. He accepted our explanation.

It did surprise us a bit at the end that he couldn't put an I-551 stamp in her passport right away because the case still needed to go through a background check. But he did assure us that the BC should only take a few days and we should receive an approval letter in the mail in 2 weeks time frame unless something wrong came up from it. He also mentioned these days it took only 6-8 weeks for the plastic Green Card to arrive in the mail. If we had to travel before the card arrive, then make an appt on Infopass to go in for an I-551 stamp. If not, there were no further actions on our part.

By the way, I don't know if this applies to all CIS office. No cameras are allowed at the San Jose office, that includes those tiny ones on a PDA or a cell phone. I was turned away first by the security because of it and had to put it away. No, you can't leave it with the officer. They don't want that responsibility.

Here is our time line for ref.
AOS interview: today - 3/23/05
Approval letter: ?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Garfield2005 -

I received today an answer to my email to the Records Management Division of the FBI, which I sent on December 1, 2004 (it took over four months for them to get around to answering my query). I was asking for a status on my wife's name check for her AoS. The answer? Pending. The request for name check was submitted on March 18, 2004. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get someone's attention? The individual who answered the phone at the FBI RMD today made it clear that some folks have been waiting as long as six years for a name check to clear so we shouldn't be so impatient. Whatta bummer.

Richard III

Originally Posted by Garfield2005
Alex, Background check is not done after the interview. It is started when you to get your fingerprints done. Its just that the results dont come back to the officer by the time of the interview and he cant approve the case until they do. Best of you luck. I been waiting 15 months for mine to come back
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:47 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard III
so we shouldn't be so impatient.
Ya, why be impatient?? Gee, it is only your life on hold!! I cant believe their indifference and lack of compassion.

Good luck,
Marnee
Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:14 pm
Brenda Ballard

congratulatons on your green card....how long is the card good for....we
go for our interview in May.....

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Brenda Ballard
congratulatons on your green card....how long is the card good for....we
go for our interview in May.....
Brenda,

Alex's wife's green card is good for 10 years.

Rene
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:30 am
Brenda Ballard

I thought so......I will be glad when my husband get his

Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:54 am
Cool Member

As promised by the San Jose office, we received our approval letter today for AOS!
Congratulations!!!

Marnee
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

[QUOTE=alex_lg]

HI,

CONGRATULATIONS

Part of my background wasn't done before my AOS interview, it was overlooked. They started it after my interview and it took 55 days.

I received my 10 year green card this morning. It only took one week after I found out my AOS was approved (online).

I hope yours come soon.

It's a wondeful feeling

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.