Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Payment Methods: I-130 in London

Payment Methods: I-130 in London

Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default Payment Methods: I-130 in London

Hi everyone

I have a quick question about payment types. Im currently about to apply for the I-130 (Ive been saying that for weeks but I mean it this time) and I was looking at the different payment methods. We dont have a Credit Card and they wont accept a Debit card. Now, my in-laws, who are in the U.S., are very keen to help pay for what they can and so they want to know if any of the payment options alllow them to pay for it for us by getting them in the U.S. and sending them to us, if that makes sense. The payment options are the following

U.S. cashiers cheque, U.S. Dollar Money Order or an international draft.

I know what an international bankers draft is but I have no idea what the other 2 are or if they can be purchased in the U.S.

I would post this in the marriage related topics but it isnt really about the visa type, more about financial jargon.

Does anyone have insight on this?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Payment Methods

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
U.S. cashiers cheque, U.S. Dollar Money Order or an international draft.
A "cashier's check" and a "money order" are very similar. A money order is basically a prepaid receipt... that is, you go into a store (most gas stations in the US are able to provide a money order) or a post office (then known as a "postal money order"), you give the clerk $xxx, and the clerk then gives you a document (which looks a lot like a check) that confirms that you've paid this money up front, and that confirms that the payee will be able to collect that money when the money order is deposited. Usually, there is a small charge for purchasing a money order. A cashier's check is exactly the same thing, except that it's done at a bank... but the concept is the same.

The US Consulate should accept any/all of these documents.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Thanks Ian, I now know what they are.

One thing that I should have explained is that we (by which I mean my wife) will be applying in London so if, say, my father in law goes to his bank and gets a U.S. dollar money order and then sends that to us in the UK will that be accepted by the U.S. Embassy?

I know this is a real arse-about-face way of doing things but the in-laws seem really eager to help and be a part of this and I dont want to hurt them by turning down their offer so im trying to think of the best way for them to do it.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
Thanks Ian, I now know what they are.

One thing that I should have explained is that we (by which I mean my wife) will be applying in London so if, say, my father in law goes to his bank and gets a U.S. dollar money order and then sends that to us in the UK will that be accepted by the U.S. Embassy?

I know this is a real arse-about-face way of doing things but the in-laws seem really eager to help and be a part of this and I dont want to hurt them by turning down their offer so im trying to think of the best way for them to do it.
get them to western union you the cash - then you can do the necessary in your own bank.