Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Passed Driving Test but????

Passed Driving Test but????

Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:52 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passed Driving Test but????

Ok guys heres one for some of you more knowledgable ones on here.
I sat & passed my driving test 6 weeks ago. Due to security checks required by homeland security etc instead of being issued with photo driving lisence I was given a letter stating that I had passed my test etc & was now a fully lisenced driver etc followed by the statement re security check being carried out by Homeland security etc & once completed drivers lisence would be mailed to me.
The lovely lady at BMV said that as I was already in the system (due to my learners permit haven been checked & issued) I should recieve my lisence quite fast. Got the learners permit in the mail aprox 3 weeks after passing the written test.
Heres the real question Im posing...since passing my driving test & BMV sent all the paper work off for the security check my status is now pending. K3 has now expired & am currently waiting on interview date for AOS. Do you think this might affect them sending out my actual drivers lisence?? Just a thought but not sure if status comes into it.
Hopefully someone might have some knowledge of this for me just to ease my curious mind.

Cheers Guys

Shepslady
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed Driving Test but????

Wow that certainly is a new one. Don't have a clue what the answer will be but 1) you have an EAD so that proves status, 2) you have AOS pending that proves status, and 3) your security clearance is approved so those aren't three strikes but three homers.

Karma for you for luck.

Rete
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:55 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow that certainly is a new one. Don't have a clue what the answer will be but 1) you have an EAD so that proves status, 2) you have AOS pending that proves status, and 3) your security clearance is approved so those aren't three strikes but three homers.

Karma for you for luck.

Rete

Thanks for the Karma Rete but if thats 3 homers then I sure wish they post it on the scoreboard a little quicker than they are at the moment
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

They do the same here in Florida ..ours come by mail within 28 days...
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sl,

I guess I'm going to have to read my wife's similar notice.

Like you, she had to drive around carrying her notice for about 2 weeks when she was on her driver's permit, and again for about 2 weeks after she passed her road test, before the cards came in the mail.

She has her 'Green Card' now, and applied for an amended license to show change of address. She is now once again driving around carrying her notice, and is getting nervous because the license hasn't come as quickly this time. I thought the delay in issuing the license was so that the Indiana BMV could verify status with the DHS/USCIS, not for running of any security checks. In any event, it is taking longer this time than it did the 2 previous times.

Unfortunately I cannot answer the main question that you asked - don't know if expiration of your K3 status will affect the issuance of the license.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by shepslady
Ok guys heres one for some of you more knowledgable ones on here.
I sat & passed my driving test 6 weeks ago. Due to security checks required by homeland security etc instead of being issued with photo driving lisence I was given a letter stating that I had passed my test etc & was now a fully lisenced driver etc followed by the statement re security check being carried out by Homeland security etc & once completed drivers lisence would be mailed to me.
The lovely lady at BMV said that as I was already in the system (due to my learners permit haven been checked & issued) I should recieve my lisence quite fast. Got the learners permit in the mail aprox 3 weeks after passing the written test.
Heres the real question Im posing...since passing my driving test & BMV sent all the paper work off for the security check my status is now pending. K3 has now expired & am currently waiting on interview date for AOS. Do you think this might affect them sending out my actual drivers lisence?? Just a thought but not sure if status comes into it.
Hopefully someone might have some knowledge of this for me just to ease my curious mind.

Cheers Guys

Shepslady
Old Jun 29th 2005, 3:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys

Shepslady
Hi Shepslady,

I know every state is different, but just wondering if the K3's expiration would be treated like a K1's expiration. Here in AZ, my husband's K1 expired, but since he had applied for AOS and had his EAD, he just kept renewing his State ID (or drivers license in your case) based on the expirations of those documents. In fact, we just renewed his ID once more based on his EAD that expires July 2006...even though his K1 expired long ago in 2004.

I'm hoping the expired K3 won't matter, since you've moved on to AOS.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 29th 2005, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every State is different, with mine it took a week to get the Provisional plastic license, by which time I had taken my test, and another week for the real thing to come through, so quite quick.

So does the duration vary, often it seems to be to the expiration of your I94 or EAD, but I have seen some who got lucky.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:22 pm
James Ridgers

> Heres the real question Im posing...since passing my driving test & BMV
    > sent all the paper work off for the security check my status is now
    > pending. K3 has now expired & am currently waiting on interview date for
    > AOS. Do you think this might affect them sending out my actual drivers
    > lisence?? Just a thought but not sure if status comes into it.

Don't know if this applies to a K3 or not, but in my case, I passed my
driving test one day before my B1 expired. I had filed my AOS about a
week before. Three weeks later (while status was pending), I received
my licence before I'd even had any receipt from CIS or anything...

~ JR

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:09 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by James Ridgers
    > Heres the real question Im posing...since passing my driving test & BMV
    > sent all the paper work off for the security check my status is now
    > pending. K3 has now expired & am currently waiting on interview date for
    > AOS. Do you think this might affect them sending out my actual drivers
    > lisence?? Just a thought but not sure if status comes into it.

Don't know if this applies to a K3 or not, but in my case, I passed my
driving test one day before my B1 expired. I had filed my AOS about a
week before. Three weeks later (while status was pending), I received
my licence before I'd even had any receipt from CIS or anything...

~ JR
Just out of curiosity I paid a visit to my local MVB today & the lovely ladies there were horrified to find I still havent received my license in the mail yet. They told me if there was any kind of problem they would have been notified & they havent recieved anything. After a discussion with their boss I was told to wait until Wednesday next week & if I still havent recieved it in the mail to go back to see them & they will make some calls to find out whats going on with it.
Glad they were all so friendly & helpful. Hubby says its because they love to listen to me talk but at least they showed some interest.
Will keep you updated as to what happens next!!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:58 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Driving lisence finally arrived in the mail today & is good until my birthday (07/02/2009)
Did get a letter with it stating that I would be required to produce documents for checking by Homeland security everytime I renewed my driving permit so Im guessing that is now standard procedure for us immigrants! Not a hassle I guess just happy to finally have that little plastic card in my hands.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving lisence finally arrived in the mail today & is good until my birthday (07/02/2009)
Did get a letter with it stating that I would be required to produce documents for checking by Homeland security everytime I renewed my driving permit so Im guessing that is now standard procedure for us immigrants! Not a hassle I guess just happy to finally have that little plastic card in my hands.
Yay! Congratulations!
Rene
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sl,

Congratulations, and glad to learn the good news.

My wife is still waiting for her updated license, if it doesn't come this week we'll be visiting the BMV next week.

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 7th 2005, 5:07 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Thanks for the best wishes guys. Something as simple as a driving permit may seem insignifigant to many but to us new immigrants its another milestone with another Government issued document, ID etc so really is an amazing thing.
Have to admit I like looking in my wallet now to see yet another American thing in there which sits proudly alongside my Bank Card, My EAD, & SSN. Seems now the only missing one is the all important GC
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting the license. Does that mean that the people in your state should stay off the streets for a bit <hehehehe>
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:48 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations on getting the license. Does that mean that the people in your state should stay off the streets for a bit <hehehehe>

LOL I certainly hope not because Ive been driving here for years using my NZ license

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.