Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

originals needed at K-1 interview?

originals needed at K-1 interview?

Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

JustAGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default originals needed at K-1 interview?

Hi,

will i need to have originals like my fiancees birth certificate, the divorce decree, original pay stubs to show employment, etc at the K-1 interview, or will copies be enough?

THanks,

JAG

Last edited by JustAGuy; Jul 24th 2002 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: originals needed at K-1 interview?

Much of the information you mention will have been submitted during the I129f petition, so things like the birth cert will not be needed. I took original pay stubs though but I don't know if they would have accepted copies.

The main thing is that you will need originals of YOUR docs, like the policee cert and your birth cert.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Of course will I need originals of my documents, but I think to recall that I read to bring originals of previously submitted copies at the interview, including things like the birth certificate of my fiancee.

Not sure...

Thanks for your reply though, Ptarmigan

JAG
Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if that sounded patronising, there was a guy at the embassy who just brought copies of everything that morning whilst I was there and he was told to go away and get the originals. People actually do it.

They will have the file from the I129f with them at the interview, so all the previously submitted stuff should be there. That is what is in the mysterious brown envelope that they will give you to bring to the US with you when you come
Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

No worries ;-)

JAG

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
Sorry if that sounded patronising,
Old Jul 24th 2002, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Just my advice.
Take the originals of everything with you (plus a copy of all of your documents) and present everything
When you arrive at the Embassy (if you are going to London) you will go to a booth and someone will sift through all of your paperwork.
As I have said, (as did Ptarmigan) they do want to see the originals and make sure that everything that needs to be notarized is done.
I had an RFE because I only had a copy of the affadavit for my daughter, and had to go back with another original.
So, as much as they try to help your approval, there are rules that they cannot bend.
Better to have more than you need than having to go back because you didn't have enough.
BTW when you leave they will give you back the originals of everything you will need in the future (Passport, birth certificate
etc)

Good luck
Roger

PS The interview is certainly not as stressful as the months of paperwork and preparation that you have gone through.
If you have everything prepared, it should be a doddle.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 5:20 am
Steve

Yes you should have them for the K-1 interview. I think each consulate is different,
but I strongly suggest you send you fiancé all the originals.

For my ( now wife) fiancé they asked her for my original BC and ORIGINAL divorce
decree (in full) which thanks to advice from someone who had been through the same
thing at the same consulate--I had provided her!

Saved a lot of time! "JustAGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > will i need to have originals like my fiancees birth certificate, the divorce
    > decree, original pay stubs to show employment, etc at the K-1 interview, or will
    > copies be enough?
    >
    > THanks,
    >
    > JAG
    >
    >
    >
    > --