Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Originals or certified copies

Wikiposts

Originals or certified copies

Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice
Default Originals or certified copies

Once Jeff and i get approved and NVC request documentation do i sent Original or Certified Copies of Birth Cert...Divorce Cert...Marriage Cert ?

All Help appreciated

Michelle Oct 2007 Filer - Still waiting at Vermont
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Originals or certified copies

Originally Posted by jeffmich2007
Once Jeff and i get approved and NVC request documentation do i sent Original or Certified Copies of Birth Cert...Divorce Cert...Marriage Cert ?

All Help appreciated

You'll send photocopies of the certified copies. Keep the original certified copies to show at the visa interview.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You'll send photocopies of the certified copies. Keep the original certified copies to show at the visa interview.

Rene
That's good news as i was going to pay for another set of originals but by the time i get them it will be very costly so i just wanted to make sure i can have a Solicitor Certify ( stamp & sign ) a photocopy of my originals and NVC will accept that.

Michelle
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

That's good news as i was going to pay for another set of originals but by the time i get them it will be very costly so i just wanted to make sure i can have a Solicitor Certify ( stamp & sign ) a photocopy of my originals and NVC will accept that.

Michelle
Forgot to ask.... Will a Scottish Notary Public be able to certify copies of my original certs & will NVC accept this ?

Michelle
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i just wanted to make sure i can have a Solicitor Certify ( stamp & sign ) a photocopy of my originals and NVC will accept that.
I'm not aware of any such requirement. Unless you've been specifically asked for "notarized photocopies", then just plain phocopies are fine. After all, you *have* the original certified documents for the interview.

Ian
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

All Help appreciated

Please clarify what you consider a "certified" copy.

Marriage certificates, birth certificates, other officially registered government documents are NEVER originals. They are only copies of the original which is filed away. Certified means that they show the filing marks and/or seal of the government authority that registered the paperwork. Thus, if you order a marriage certificate you will only get a certified copy of the original which will never leave the file room. You never send the original certified copy but send a copy of the certified copy with your paperwork to USCIS. Be sure when photocopying the document that you include the front and back of the document and that all filing marks are legible on your photocopy.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm not aware of any such requirement. Unless you've been specifically asked for "notarized photocopies", then just plain phocopies are fine. After all, you *have* the original certified documents for the interview.

Ian

Ian is correct, Michelle. There is no requirement that states your copies have to be notarized. In fact, USCIS tells you never to send the originals and only send copies. This does not pertain to the application/petition, itself, but to the supporting documentation.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to ask.... Will a Scottish Notary Public be able to certify copies of my original certs & will NVC accept this ?

Michelle
You don't need to do this. Plain photocopies are fine.

Rene
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

USCIS - Vermont Service Centre where my files are already have photocopies of all my Certs & Passport and my sons too when Jeff filed I-130's so i guess im wondering will they ask for the same documentation when we get to NVC or am i getting confused ?

I'd like to know what documents they want at NVC to fully process the case because i thought they would have everything already ?

Michelle
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS - Vermont Service Centre where my files are already have photocopies of all my Certs & Passport and my sons too when Jeff filed I-130's so i guess im wondering will they ask for the same documentation when we get to NVC or am i getting confused ?

I'd like to know what documents they want at NVC to fully process the case because i thought they would have everything already ?

Michelle
You start OVER with NVC; it's a different department doing a different thing.

Please read this page for info on the NVC process: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3190.html
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:23 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Michelle
Hi Michelle

Because London now has processing done directly at the NVC you have to send the "originals", and a photocopy with the actual visa application. Do not just send photocopies or you will delay the process further by getting a RFE.

I've just filed my actual visa application with NVC this week. You need to get "originals", or certified copies to use the correct term, of all the civil documents. The only document that is only a photocopy is the bio page from your passport. Everything else has to be an official copy. I know this is a pain, and even more expense, but it is also now a requirement.

The NVC do say that they recommend you get second copies of all documents as they cannot guarantee they will make it with your file to the embassy and if they are missing you are responsible for providing them again. I also ordered a second copy of the police certificate just in case, as £5 is cheaper than having to get another police check done.

We're managing to speed through the NVC thanks to some short cut tips and the new online payment option, so let me know if you want a copy of what we've done for when you get to the NVC.

Hope you get approved soon.

Lyn
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Now im really worried about getting the certified copies back ...not so much my marriage cert or birth certs but my American Divorce papers i only have one of and will find it hard to get another one although i might be able to get a friend go to the courthouse in MI and get another copy sent to me but that was my main concern about sending the originals or certified copy.

Do NVC give back the copies of certs you send in or are they kept by them ?

I am still not approved so i have time to try get a spare copy of american divorce paper because i really don't want to be without !

These documents are very important to me and i guess thats why i am surprised to hear they want Originals or certified copy's when we can simply produce the true copies in person at the interview surely that would make life a lot easier and less costly and ofcourse take the worry out of them getting lost by NVC
I know K1 don't have to produce Originals to NVC but have to at the interview. Why can't they do the same for CR1 ( I-130) ?

Michelle
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:41 am
Concierge

NVC does NOT give back the originals. You MIGHT be able to ask the US Consulate at the time of your interview for the originals back but it is not an absolute that they will do so.

Rete

Now im really worried about getting the certified copies back ...not so much my marriage cert or birth certs but my American Divorce papers i only have one of and will find it hard to get another one although i might be able to get a friend go to the courthouse in MI and get another copy sent to me but that was my main concern about sending the originals or certified copy.

I am still not approved so i have time to try get a spare copy of american divorce paper because i really don't want to be without !

These documents are very important to me and i guess thats why i am surprised to hear they want Originals or certified copy's when we can simply produce the true copies in person at the interview surely that would make life a lot easier and less costly and ofcourse take the worry out of them getting lost by NVC
I know K1 don't have to produce Originals to NVC but have to at the interview. Why can't they do the same for CR1 ( I-130) ?

Michelle
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:38 am
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Michelle
Hi Michelle

They do say you should get them back at the interview, but there are no guarantees, especially since they can't even guarantee that they will make it to the embassy for your interview.

You have to send them because the NVC now does all the processing for the CR1/IR1, London only finishes with the interview. The K-1's are still being processed by London, but that may change too in the future.

The direct processing has been designed to cut down the amount of time it takes to process the application, and as far as I can tell it's working. We no longer have to wait for the file to be transferred, receive the checklist and return the checklist before we can be scheduled for interview. The NVC makes the interview appointment at the time they process the application. They then send the interview letter directly to us and the file to London at the same time, potentially saving weeks or even months from the process.

Lyn
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice

what is NVC?

Originally Posted by LynannC
Hi Michelle

Because London now has processing done directly at the NVC you have to send the "originals", and a photocopy with the actual visa application. Do not just send photocopies or you will delay the process further by getting a RFE.

I've just filed my actual visa application with NVC this week. You need to get "originals", or certified copies to use the correct term, of all the civil documents. The only document that is only a photocopy is the bio page from your passport. Everything else has to be an official copy. I know this is a pain, and even more expense, but it is also now a requirement.

The NVC do say that they recommend you get second copies of all documents as they cannot guarantee they will make it with your file to the embassy and if they are missing you are responsible for providing them again. I also ordered a second copy of the police certificate just in case, as £5 is cheaper than having to get another police check done.

We're managing to speed through the NVC thanks to some short cut tips and the new online payment option, so let me know if you want a copy of what we've done for when you get to the NVC.

Hope you get approved soon.

Lyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.