Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Opening provisional file in London - ?'s

Opening provisional file in London - ?'s

Old Nov 30th 2002, 5:14 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening provisional file in London - ?'s

Mark and I are planning on opening a provisional K-1 file with the London Consulate. However, we're a bit confused over which forms we send in, and which should be signed.

Can someone please confirm EXACTLY what we need to send in order to do this??

From what we can gather, in addition to a cover letter Mark needs to send in the following:

SIGNED:
DS-230-I -- Biographic Form (Part I)

UNSIGNED:
DS-156 -- Nonimmigration Visa Application
DS-156k -- Nonimmigrant Visa Application Supplement (Fiance)

Is this all Mark needs to send the Consulate in order to open the provisional file?? Also, are we right about which forms are sent signed/unsigned?

We're also unsure about the IV-15 Checklist. Can we send in the above forms BEFORE everything on the Checklist is in Mark's possession? Or do we have to wait until Mark has everything (I-134, etc.) before he can open the provisional file?? This is the part we're most confused about.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us. We just want to get this ball rolling!!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 30th 2002, 8:49 am
ScarlettHill

congrats you're on your way - you're right about which forms to sign. you can send them in before the checklist and open prov. file - mention in cover letter it will follow when you have collected all docs.

short answer - arm in sling 11 days before i fly ngh! - long story.

best luck.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 30th 2002, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening provisional file in London - ?'s

When i sent my paperwork in for the provisional file i sent all the forms, it states clearly at the bottom which ones you should sign and which need signing at the interview. You can just send the Bio in to open a provisional, but i have had e mail from the Embassy since saying that they dont really mind if you send just the Bio or all.

When they send you a case number you can if you are in possesion of all the required doccuments, send the IV 15 in to them ahead of NOA 2 approval from the service centre in the States. I have done all this and have not got the approval yet from vermont, it just ensures that they have it all ahead of time, if nothing else it does save you a couple of weeks,

regards,

Rob
Old Nov 30th 2002, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

i just read your post again, yes you can send your forms ahead of the IV 15 compilation, it doesnt matter if you do not have all on the IV 15 list, get it in as early as you want, any time saved will be a bonus.
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett
congrats you're on your way - you're right about which forms to sign. you can send them in before the checklist and open prov. file - mention in cover letter it will follow when you have collected all docs.

short answer - arm in sling 11 days before i fly ngh! - long story.

best luck.

regards
-=-
scarlett

OH NO!!!!

I told my fiance not to sign anything :O do you think this will hold up our provisional file, or will they just wait for him to sign it at the interview.

P.S. Happy Flying Scarlett, I hope your flight doesn't intersect with one of the proposed airport strikes in the UK
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 4:21 pm
Scarlett

>OH NO!!!!
    >I told my fiance not to sign anything :O do you think this will hold up
    >our provisional file, or will they just wait for him to sign it at the
    >interview.

i've heard lots of cases where people didn't sign anything. i think they'll
just ask him to sign at the interview. so panic not!

best of luck with your process.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Our provisional file was opened. We emailed the london embassy yesterday and the responded today with our file number... YIPPEE !!!
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:03 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone, for your input -- we really appreciate it!!

I've emailed Mark the details of what he needs to get, plus wrote up a cover letter for him to print out and sign. Hopefully he'll get to that sooner rather than later (hehe!). On my plate now is the I-134 and sorting all that out -- yippee!!

BTW, Mark sent off for his police certificate on Oct 23, and today (Dec 3) is Day 41, and still no police certificate. Hmmm....

Anyway, thanks again!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. Just another question on this... do you need a case number to open the provisional file? I emailed and they sent the forms, but I'm not sure of our case number (unless it's the receipt number from the first NOA). Also, with the questions on the DS156, when it asks, do you plan to work, then proceeds to ask for employment info... what if greg does plan to work, but doesn't know where yet? That form seems more geered to tourist visas, so some of the questions are a bit weird for the fiance... Any help with that form would be appreciated , thanks...

Tasha
Old Dec 4th 2002, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by beyness
Hello. Just another question on this... do you need a case number to open the provisional file? I emailed and they sent the forms, but I'm not sure of our case number (unless it's the receipt number from the first NOA). Also, with the questions on the DS156, when it asks, do you plan to work, then proceeds to ask for employment info... what if greg does plan to work, but doesn't know where yet? That form seems more geered to tourist visas, so some of the questions are a bit weird for the fiance... Any help with that form would be appreciated , thanks...

Tasha

Hi,

the case number for the provisional file is different than the NOA receipt number. You'll get a case number after the provisional file has been set up with London. So, go ahead and mail in your forms without anything written in that space. As for the DS156. We put, "yes, upon approval of work authorization"

GOOD LUCK...btw..what service center are you using???

Kat
Old Dec 5th 2002, 1:08 pm
Shaun Su

All,

Should the U.S. citizen print out the packet 3 forms on Letter size paper
and send them to UK for fiancée's signature, or should the fiancée print
them out on A4 size paper and send them on to open the provisional file?

-shaun

"katnap8" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett
> congrats you're on your way - you're right about which forms to
    > sign. you can send them in before the checklist and open prov. file
    > - mention in cover letter it will follow when you have collected
    > all docs.

Old Dec 5th 2002, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Provisional file in London

I'll be doing the I-130/IR-1 processing through London, and if I want to open a provisional file, what do I need to do? Just write them a letter saying that? or what details do I need to give? And is it the usual visa unit address thats on the Embassy website I send it to?

Any other info would also be great. Thanks in advance.

Also are provisonals only done for those filing through the service centers in the US for when the visa arrives at the London embassy, or ??

Last edited by Jo Brayne; Dec 5th 2002 at 2:28 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2002, 4:24 pm
Scarlett

>Should the U.S. citizen print out the packet 3 forms on Letter size paper
    >and send them to UK for fiancée's signature, or should the fiancée print
    >them out on A4 size paper and send them on to open the provisional file?

hi,

either is fine - i printed out on A4 here. seems like you're making work for
yourself printing it out in the US and sending to the UK. the forms print out
on either size paper. but hey, i worried about every detail too. you're not
alone.

i prescribe a glass of wine for your nerves!

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Dec 10th 2002, 5:39 pm
L D Jones

Shaun Su wrote:
    >
    > All,
    >
    > Should the U.S. citizen print out the packet 3 forms on Letter size paper
    > and send them to UK for fiancée's signature, or should the fiancée print
    > them out on A4 size paper and send them on to open the provisional file?

The size of the paper does not matter. My wife and I received documents
from the embassy in both US letter and A4 sizes.

Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I too sadly asked that question in my own mind, the result, I did what i did, A4 and hang the consequences, I live life on the edge.

Its funny how this process makes you question things sane people wouldn't give two hoots about !!!

Rob