Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Opened US visa package by mistake!

Opened US visa package by mistake!

Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Grillet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opened US visa package by mistake!

Hi,

I have just opened my US visa envelope by mistake!! I am not the first and probably not the last either to miss seeing the wording on the envelope.

Has anyone experience of how to deal with this?

I am due to fly in 5 days time to America, is it possible for me to get the package resealed in the UK before Wednesday?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Last edited by Grillet; Oct 26th 2013 at 11:34 am.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opened US visa package by mistake!

Oooo, oooo! What's in it? I've always wanted to know.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grillet
I have just opened my US visa envelope by mistake!
Oh dear!

Has anyone experience of how to deal with this?
You must make an appointment with US Immigration to have the documents re-sealed. It's going to take time... because they must check each item, verify that it is unchanged, seal it, and then get it back to you. They are not likely to take your word that you opened the envelope and didn't alter anything. You might not be allowed to wait while this happens, and they might have to courier the package back to you.

I am due to fly in 5 days time to America, is it possible for me to get the package resealed in the UK before Wednesday?
I don't think that's going to happen.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 26th 2013 at 12:11 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All your immigration paperwork to date.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Grillet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
All your immigration paperwork to date.

Rene
Yes its all the immigration paperwork! Looks like this could take a few weeks to sort out.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fly until it has been resealed as you will in all likelihood be refused entry.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this could take a few weeks to sort out.
It could, yes. I agree with Lansbury... don't fly until it's resealed by US immigration officials. In the grand scheme of things, it's an inconvenience but nothing more. Don't change your flights until you know whether or not it can get done quickly (you never know... miracles do happen), or if it's going to take time. If it's going to take time, rebook for a month in the future... because you never know if there will be a delay or not... and you really only want to rebook once!

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:22 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The DOS/Consular Officers have to check it and reseal it prior to travel. No idea as to turnaround time.

The one time I heard of this happening, the person arrived at the border with it unsealed. The person was sent back and the packet was mailed by the border officials back to the consulate for review for any tampering and repackaging. The package was initially lost/misplaced. I don't know if they ever found it. Bad things can happen when things fall outside of the normal process. I'd prefer not to risk someone having to improvise.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

9 FAM 42.73 Procedural Notes, PN3 and PN4.

Regards, JEff
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have just opened my US visa envelope by mistake!! .

How on earth did you open it by mistake? You sure curiousity didnt get the better of you?
It even states on the envelope in huge writing front and back in caps!

DO NOT OPEN, REMAIN SEALED, TAMPERING WITH THIS ENVELOPE WILL RESULT IN..............ETC ETC.

unless of course your envelope was different
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont know?
Ok its your orginal petition, with the immigation attorneys covering letter, your photos, with i-140 petition(s), erm lets see, we had all the information from the NVC, all the details of our vaccines from the USCIS approved doctor. Basically the whole petition was in our envelope.

Whats more we left our envelope at the airport in WHSMITH by mistake as we checked in the night before our flights. and didnt realise until about 3 hours later when we was sitting in our hotel room at heathrow and i suddenly asked my husband.....wheres The Envelope?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Quincy Magoo lives! Lasik might help.

Regards, JEff
I have just opened my US visa envelope by mistake!! I am not the first and probably not the last either to miss seeing the wording on the envelope.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

amyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant future

So, is your passport returned at the consulate on the day of the interview, or does it come mailed in a separate envelope?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:57 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyjo
So, is your passport returned at the consulate on the day of the interview, or does it come mailed in a separate envelope?
It is sent back to you via a courier with the envelope you are not allowed to open. Fortunately the passport isn't inside that envelope.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

amyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant future

Ahh, thanks for that response. Daughter was very worried that the passport would be in there as well, though I told her that wouldn't make sense. She and her husband are planning to do a bit of traveling, France and Italy, just before they leave London to move to the States.