one way ticket?

Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

candiceezznagui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default one way ticket?

can we buy a one way ticket for my husband when he comes on the K-3 visa.

What did everyone else buy????

Haven't seen this posted so I wanted to ask before i buy the ticket!

thank you soooooo much!

Candice

7 weeks 1 day....and counting......
Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

You can, but its my experience, that one way tickets are usually more expensive to buy.

Last edited by Pimpbot; Apr 13th 2003 at 11:57 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point

You absolutely can, I bought a one-way ticket for my wife from India through a local travel agent.

They usually have connections with travel agents back home and so will take care of it and the tickets will arrive at your spouses residence.

To facilitate this I would suggest calling a travel agent that deals with travel to your husbands country.

If that doesn't work, your husband could also buy the ticket himself from where he is, that also works.

As far as the price, they are indeed more than half of a return flight.

Regards
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:30 am
Fred

Default Re: one way ticket?

One way tickets are not more expensive! This is only true if purchasing
through an airline. Try calling an airline consolidator or searching the
internet. There are hundreds of such companies.

Here is one example:

http://www.airlineconsolidator.com

"Pimpbot" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You can, but its my experience, that one way tickets are usually more
    > expensive to buy.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Cypher
You absolutely can, I bought a one-way ticket for my wife from India through a local travel agent.

They usually have connections with travel agents back home and so will take care of it and the tickets will arrive at your spouses residence.

To facilitate this I would suggest calling a travel agent that deals with travel to your husbands country.

If that doesn't work, your husband could also buy the ticket himself from where he is, that also works.

As far as the price, they are indeed more than half of a return flight.

Regards

Check and see if there is a travel agent that handles wholesale fares from your husband's country. Failing that he may find something online. One way fares conventionally ARE always more than a roundtrip, but NOT generally through a consolidator/wholesaler.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 3:31 am
Booger

"candiceezznagui" wrote in message
    > can we buy a one way ticket for my husband when he comes on the K-3
    > visa.
    > What did everyone else buy????

I've been pricing tickets on NW Airlines from Manila to Tampa using
Travelocity. One way is $606, round trip is $1064.

Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fred
One way tickets are not more expensive! This is only true if purchasing
through an airline. Try calling an airline consolidator or searching the
internet. There are hundreds of such companies.

Here is one example:

http://www.airlineconsolidator.com

"Pimpbot" wrote in message
    > You can, but its my experience, that one way tickets are usually more
    > expensive to buy.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Actually, checking that site with the same travel dates as my fiancee has for may, would only have saved her around $50 to $70 dollars, but the flight times and changes of plane would have been far more inconvenient than what she paid through the airline. Sometimes, going the cheapest route, is not always the best thing to do. I personally rarely book through airlines direct, but having been in a situation back in febuary where I may have needed to book a 1 way back from America, I found just about all sites considerable more expensive for 1 way travel. But I dont doubt with the airline industry, there are bargins to be had, you just need to search a little harder sometimes.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 11:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Travelocity etc is NOT a wholesale consolidator. I'm a travel agent, I know this, . Wholesalers, consolidators, bucket shops, whatever you call them are the ones who either buy bulk seats on airlines or have arranged deals for discounted fares. For example, I had a gentleman call me for a ticket last Thursday to JNB( Johannesburg) from ATL, leaving today and returning in 2 weeks. The computer "official" fare was 2500 bucks, through one of the wholesalers we use, the same flight was 1316.00..........
Old Apr 14th 2003, 11:40 am
Diane

I had heard that they were more expensive and from talking to people
in the US they are but I brought a 1 way ticket from Australia to here
and it was just slightly more than half the price of a round trip
ticket, so maybe if you look in the country your fiancee is coming
from?
candiceezznagui wrote in message news:...
    > can we buy a one way ticket for my husband when he comes on the K-3
    > visa.
    >
    > What did everyone else buy????
    >
    > Haven't seen this posted so I wanted to ask before i buy the ticket!
    >
    > thank you soooooo much!
    >
    > Candice
    >
    > 7 weeks 1 day....and counting......

Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

ccalgreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cindyabs
Travelocity etc is NOT a wholesale consolidator. I'm a travel agent, I know this, . Wholesalers, consolidators, bucket shops, whatever you call them are the ones who either buy bulk seats on airlines or have arranged deals for discounted fares. For example, I had a gentleman call me for a ticket last Thursday to JNB( Johannesburg) from ATL, leaving today and returning in 2 weeks. The computer "official" fare was 2500 bucks, through one of the wholesalers we use, the same flight was 1316.00..........
Cindy,

The problem I had was that I wanted to change at JFK in order to attempt to get the EAD stamp, as I had heard this was the only POE that was currently issuing one. However, since a lot of airlines have direct flights between LHR and IAD, it was difficult to check prices online as they always came up with a direct flight! We also didn't want to change airlines for the internal flight, as we were worried that it would mean a more expensive fare. There isn't much choice for airlines that fly between JFK and IAD.

It's all kind of academic as I managed to get a fare for £372 (return) on UA, departing on 23 May. Just out of interest, and for others who will be making the same trip after me, is that a good price?

Cheers

CLEM
Old Apr 14th 2003, 5:18 pm
Sursum corda

For the routing you had, ie into IAD via JFK and NOT changing airlines United was your only choice. The price you got was not highway robbery, but it wasn't spectacular, basically the more specific you are the more you may have to pay. I don't know what means you used BUT my husband (he's in Birmingham UK) uses www.cheapflights.com which has consolidator/wholesalers on the site. He's always gotten good prices and used more than one company listed there.