to Omo

Old Mar 4th 2004, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to Omo

I know its been a while since you did your K1 for your then fiance but was hoping you could ease our minds a bit.
My fiance (male) is scheduled in a few weeks for his interview. Here's the thing, his family and other so call well wishers are disturbing his mind with negative impression of the embassy. We know they are very very harsh esp. on male bene's but we have faith in a God that is bigger than the embasy, that He will prevail and show Himself strong on our behalf.

Because most of them (his family) is not familiar w/this procedure I think they grew accustom to being hearing about denials denials all the time at the embassy. they have little understanding to how the Kvisa works. Anyway, if you could shed some comfort and maybe try to remember what ?'s your fiance was asked, how theytreated him it would do tons to ease our mind. I'm sure my presence there will do that enough, but until I get there he has to be bombarded w/negative and depressing words from others. You can imagine how this can bring any person spirits down

I try to encourage and remind him that this is not our battle it belongs to the Lord. We have met all the requirements they need and regardless to what others may see or hear, it is in God's hands

thank you in advance. I apprecaiete anything you can provide.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:53 pm
omo
Naija Brigade

omo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: to Omo

Nkem,

So sorry dear, I was doing a search and came across this post for the first time only today, so I regret the delay.

Well, it's understandable that his family or friends would speak negatively about the U.S. Consulate on V.I. The denial rate is high for Naija men, especially when they apply for tourist visas. (Too many of them cannot convince the Consul at the time of the interview that they will return to Nigeria if granted the visa since young men there have no permanent ties to their homeland). (Just to give you an example, my dear husband's closest brother was to stand in as his best man at our wedding in 2001, but he was denied the visa on ridiculous grounds, which I can't get into at the moment, so my husband had to use a distant relative who was already living here in the U.S. as his best man!)

The K1 visa is unique though. That being said, the Consul cannot arbitrarily deny his visa for whatever reason. To deny the visa would mean filing and sending a report back to the U.S. and held there for "administrative purposes." Then you, as the petitioner, can use your Congressional Rep as a means to assist you, **IF** the Consul gives you or your beneficiary any problems. (Well, at least that's what I did.) Remember your fiance is not applying for just any visa, it's a special one and the Consul is obliged to issue the visa if all the documents that they ask for are submitted. (I'm going my memory here so please forgive me if I've left out anything.)

I posted my K1 experience at Kamya's website, so check it out when you have a few moments. By the way, tell your fiance to stop listening to his so-called "well wishers". He needs to focus on his upcoming interview and if he goes in there with a negative attitude, it could prove to be the death of him in the long run.

All the best to you.
Omo.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nkem4ever
I know its been a while since you did your K1 for your then fiance but was hoping you could ease our minds a bit.
My fiance (male) is scheduled in a few weeks for his interview. Here's the thing, his family and other so call well wishers are disturbing his mind with negative impression of the embassy. We know they are very very harsh esp. on male bene's but we have faith in a God that is bigger than the embasy, that He will prevail and show Himself strong on our behalf.

Because most of them (his family) is not familiar w/this procedure I think they grew accustom to being hearing about denials denials all the time at the embassy. they have little understanding to how the Kvisa works. Anyway, if you could shed some comfort and maybe try to remember what ?'s your fiance was asked, how theytreated him it would do tons to ease our mind. I'm sure my presence there will do that enough, but until I get there he has to be bombarded w/negative and depressing words from others. You can imagine how this can bring any person spirits down

I try to encourage and remind him that this is not our battle it belongs to the Lord. We have met all the requirements they need and regardless to what others may see or hear, it is in God's hands

I don't have much to add to Omo's post, but I do want you to know that you have the right attitude behind you. My suggestion is read my most favorite verse. Psalm 46:10... You are correct the battle belongs to the Lord. Don't let the enemy distract you. Prayer and fasting before the interview by both of you will also be of benefit don't you think? Trust in the Lord with all of your being. The enemy is defeated!
Blessings,
Oseme
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

afroduke is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly,Goodday to Everyone!

I am a male Nigerian with a USC fiancee. My interview date for the fiancee visa scheduled for the U.S Consulate in Lagos was pegged at May the 20th. Well, before I decided to embark on the K-1 route I knew almost nothing of how U.S visas are issued or secured, all I knew was that I had an American-sweetheart I loved so much & decided to marry. In the process of enquiring about the possibility of securing a U.S visa after we both decided to spend our married life in the states thereby making me the spouse with the decision to relocate, I encountered tales of the extra-strictness of the U.S consul from those with experiences & even in newspaper articles. I then knew I had to be extra-careful. First we got the services of a U.S immigration lawyer, I as well made thorough researches on the net & other informal enquiries, in other to go through the most appropriate & legal means to emigrate to the U.S, that was when I came across the K1, which I was told was shorter in time than the k3. I decided to use this route because after all the thorough enquiries I knew this was what qualifies me to be officially with my fiancee.
So, as long as you're both of age, you claim to be who you both are, you're legally qualified for marriage,you've met within the last 2yrs,you're medically qualified & all the other qualifications for a k1. You have no fear whatsoever undermining the brashness of the U.S consule. Just make sure you get all the paper works,with even extra evidences,like i will & I bet you're assured of success. I believe approaching the interview with a negative attitude might have a psychological impact that might reflect suspiciously when being interviewed. I took the pains of explaining this whole process to only my immediate family. Others seem unecessary. I passed through Nebraska so those not too close who know I have someone I'm bout to marry in the U.S believe the lenght of time so far signifies I'm encountering problems due to the perceived strictness of the U.S embassy in Lagos. But, they just don't know,that's why I find solace in this newsgroup of people in the same situation as me. Take care all, & Stay strong.

"Tough times don't last, but tough people do"
Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by omo
Nkem,

So sorry dear, I was doing a search and came across this post for the first time only today, so I regret the delay.

Well, it's understandable that his family or friends would speak negatively about the U.S. Consulate on V.I. The denial rate is high for Naija men, especially when they apply for tourist visas. (Too many of them cannot convince the Consul at the time of the interview that they will return to Nigeria if granted the visa since young men there have no permanent ties to their homeland). (Just to give you an example, my dear husband's closest brother was to stand in as his best man at our wedding in 2001, but he was denied the visa on ridiculous grounds, which I can't get into at the moment, so my husband had to use a distant relative who was already living here in the U.S. as his best man!)

The K1 visa is unique though. That being said, the Consul cannot arbitrarily deny his visa for whatever reason. To deny the visa would mean filing and sending a report back to the U.S. and held there for "administrative purposes." Then you, as the petitioner, can use your Congressional Rep as a means to assist you, **IF** the Consul gives you or your beneficiary any problems. (Well, at least that's what I did.) Remember your fiance is not applying for just any visa, it's a special one and the Consul is obliged to issue the visa if all the documents that they ask for are submitted. (I'm going my memory here so please forgive me if I've left out anything.)

I posted my K1 experience at Kamya's website, so check it out when you have a few moments. By the way, tell your fiance to stop listening to his so-called "well wishers". He needs to focus on his upcoming interview and if he goes in there with a negative attitude, it could prove to be the death of him in the long run.

All the best to you.
Omo.

Tons and tons of gratitude to all - Omo, oseme, ruthanne, and afroduke.

I'm sure my dearheart is reading or has read this reply already. We are both very strong believers in Gods word and had we at any pont given in to the negativity we recieved (even in the onset of our online relationship) we would have surely given up by now. Your words of faith (Ruthanne) and support and steadfastness are more than I can thank you for.

ONce we meet the interview head on and acquire the visa, you will no doubt hear our experience as we share with all.

thank you once again and OMo, never mind in the delayed reply, no problem there. just glad to hear from you in this regard. I will love to read your experience at the Kamya website you refer to.

all the best to all of us - His name we shall prevail!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tons and tons of gratitude to all - Omo, oseme, ruthanne, and afroduke.

I'm sure my dearheart is reading or has read this reply already. We are both very strong believers in Gods word and had we at any pont given in to the negativity we recieved (even in the onset of our online relationship) we would have surely given up by now. Your words of faith (Ruthanne) and support and steadfastness are more than I can thank you for.

ONce we meet the interview head on and acquire the visa, you will no doubt hear our experience as we share with all.

thank you once again and OMo, never mind in the delayed reply, no problem there. just glad to hear from you in this regard. I will love to read your experience at the Kamya website you refer to.

all the best to all of us - His name we shall prevail!
I guess I should clarify. Ruthann and Oseme are the same person. I didn't realize that I started signing off as Oseme until just recently. DUHHH.. Anyway Ruthann is my birth name Oseme is the name my husband gave me when we married. It means MY OWN... Sorry for the confusion...
Ruthann/Oseme
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ruthann1212
I guess I should clarify. Ruthann and Oseme are the same person. I didn't realize that I started signing off as Oseme until just recently. DUHHH.. Anyway Ruthann is my birth name Oseme is the name my husband gave me when we married. It means MY OWN... Sorry for the confusion...
Ruthann/Oseme

That's ok, glad you cleared it up. going forward I'll know to use only one name, or which do you prefer. My fiance gave me the name "NKEM" shortly after our engagement, which like yours almost, it means MINE!!