Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Old Marraige Certificate

Old Marraige Certificate

Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old Marraige Certificate

On the visa interview checklist, (I'm nowhere near that stage, but just planning ahead), it states -

If you are/were married you must present an original or certified copy. You must also present proof of the dissolution of any previous marriage, such as a death certificate, divorce decree or evidence of annulment.

Now I have a divorce decree. However I previously got married abroad, and had to send in the one and only copy of the marriage certificate to the court for my divorce. I can't get another one, and we didn't register it with the central registry office in London, which would have enabled us to get an English certificate.

Is this going to be a problem?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:33 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Marraige Certificate

Originally Posted by Smudger222
On the visa interview checklist, (I'm nowhere near that stage, but just planning ahead), it states -

If you are/were married you must present an original or certified copy. You must also present proof of the dissolution of any previous marriage, such as a death certificate, divorce decree or evidence of annulment.

Now I have a divorce decree. However I previously got married abroad, and had to send in the one and only copy of the marriage certificate to the court for my divorce. I can't get another one, and we didn't register it with the central registry office in London, which would have enabled us to get an English certificate.

Is this going to be a problem?
Sorry, are you filing for a K1 or CR1? What stage are you at?

For a K1 (and I imagine a CR1) you're supposed to provide a copy of all marriage/divorce certificates at the petition stage. I know you're supposed to take copies of all forms to your interview but I've never read any interview experiences on here where people have had to do this for prior marriages.

Why can't you get a copy of your foreign marriage certificate? Can you at least try to show if asked?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm filing for K1.

At petition stage it asked for divorce certificate, but not previous marriage certificate........I'm fairly sure of that.

I can't get a copy of the foreign one, you actually have to go to the Country to get it.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:38 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm filing for K1.

At petition stage it asked for divorce certificate, but not previous marriage certificate........I'm fairly sure of that.

I can't get a copy of the foreign one, you actually have to go to the Country to get it.
Ah ok, I included a copy of my prior marriage certificate as it asked for evidence of all name changes.

If you didn't get an RFE for it then I imagine you'll be fine.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

I had similar concerns over providing a marriage certificate. The trouble seems to stem from the same checklist being used for spouse & fiancé(e) visa interviews. I was assured by the forum regulars that I wouldn't need a marriage certificate for the K1 interview and indeed, it wasn't asked for.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Well we have only just posted the petition, have received the e-mail confirming the case has been accepted, and OH has a letter too. I think this is a confirmation, he hasn't scanned it to me yet.
So we may well get a RFE.............don't know what i'll do then, I have no marriage certificate.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... don't know what i'll do then, I have no marriage certificate.
You won't need it. Your prior marriage is largely irrelevant - and you have the most important evidence... your divorce decree. The latter implies the former!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian, that was what I was thinking. It's just on the checklist.

I have just found a copy of it, i'll keep that to hand in case.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have just found a copy of it, i'll keep that to hand in case.
It's amazing how much more thorough a search can be when panic sets in! So, no worries!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's amazing how much more thorough a search can be when panic sets in! So, no worries!

Ian
I know it! Must get organised.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:00 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I was married before and sent in only the divorce decree. I assume they knew I was married in order to get divorced.