Reload this Page >

oh, my word! what next?

oh, my word! what next?

Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy oh, my word! what next?

Hi, (yet again) people!!!!

Just when I thought I was prepared for everything............!!!!!

I've been thinking so much about getting over to my betrothed, I've not really thought about what I need to do once I get there!!!

How does a person go about driving legally in the States? I have a full UK license, which I've had for nearly 10 years, and someone told me you can drive on that for two months before you have to apply for a US license. (I'm assuming this is how tourists are allowed to drive over there.)

Would I need to take any official "lessons" from a qualified instructor like we do in the UK? And what's the procedure for applying for a license? I would like to be able to drive legally as soon as I get there.

Any advice is appreciated, but be gentle with me, as you're dealing with someone who jaywalked in the US without realising I shouldn't have!!!!! Oops!!!!!!!!

Ta in advance. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh, my word! what next?

Holy Mad Cow! You jaywalked????? Definitely don't volunteer that information to the INS officer at the border. You may be banned for life!

Seriuosly, you do not need to take lessons for a license. You just take a written test and then a driving test. Try and stay on the RIGHT side of the road

There is a parking lot in a park in Chicago where all the non-driving immigrants practice their driving at night. Think demolition derby! I've never seen so many cars go out of control so slowly.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

How does a person go about driving legally in the States? I have a full UK license, which I've had for nearly 10 years, and someone told me you can drive on that for two months before you have to apply for a US license. (I'm assuming this is how tourists are allowed to drive over there.)
Usually, it is good to get an international driver's license before you leave the UK. I was told that it has something to do with car insurance.

Caroline
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Caro:

Usually, it is good to get an international driver's license before you leave the UK. I was told that it has something to do with car insurance.

Caroline
Hey, Caroline!!!

Thanx for the advice! And you too tparrent!! How do I get an international license?
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:34 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter:

I've been thinking so much about getting over to my betrothed, I've not really thought about what I need to do once I get there!!!

Would I need to take any official "lessons" from a qualified instructor like we do in the UK? And what's the procedure for applying for a license? I would like to be able to drive legally as soon as I get there.

Any advice is appreciated, but be gentle with me, as you're dealing with someone who jaywalked in the US without realising I shouldn't have!!!!! Oops!!!!!!!!

Hi Kate,
Try going to the website of the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state in which you're going to live. On the Illinois one, there is a list of items that a foreign citizen must provide in order to obtain a valid license (birth cert, etc). The one sticking point for Illinois seems to be that you have to have a SSN, which you can't get until you've been married and applied for AOS if I'm not mistaken. As far as going about getting an international driver's license, I don't know anything about that process, maybe someone else can tell you! (Hope so, because this might help my situation eventually!) It just says on the Illinois site that your foreign license is only officially good for 90 days. Good Luck!
SecretGarden
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:37 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tparrent:
Holy Mad Cow! You jaywalked????? Definitely don't volunteer that information to the INS officer at the border. You may be banned for life!

But, remember. If they ASK you if you've ever jaywalked, DON'T LIE.
SecretGarden
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point

In Illinois you simply make out a check to the "Governor George Ryan Legal Defense Fund" That gets you PRIORITY processing. Many immigrants received their licenses in a similar fashion. In fact, most of them didn't even have visas!

Oops, time for disclosure:

Insert "allegedly" between every other word in my note
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Ok, I'm officially scared now!!!!! Should I be seriously worried about this jaywalking thing????!!!! I'm naive and believe anything!! Heh heh!!!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm officially scared now!!!!! Should I be seriously worried about this jaywalking thing????!!!! I'm naive and believe anything!! Heh heh!!!
Forget about the international driver's license. It is worthless in the US. You can drive with your UK license for a month before you are obligated to get a state license.

You will find there are many difficulties you are going to have to surmount first:

1. Social Security Card

2. Acceptable INS Status for the DMV

3. Written Test

4. Driver's test

Have your fiancee call his present car insurance company and ascertain from them the facts about whether you will be insurable under his policy with only your UK license for the first 30 days.

Then lookup the DMV site for Illinois and check that out.

There have him drive you everywhere for a while.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how to get an international driver's license in France, but I don't know how to get one in the UK. The process must be similar, I imagine. So, here is how it goed in France. You just go to the same place you pick up your French driver's license, and just ask for an international driver's license. You need to bring pictures for the international driver's license, a bil whowing your current address, and a couple other things that are easy to get.

Which state will you be moving to?

Good luck!
Caroline
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

Which state will you be moving to?

Good luck!
Caroline [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The Sunshine State!! Yeah baby!!!!!!! I'll be moving to Fort Lauderdale, and I'll probably be lobster red for all eternity, because I'm not used to the sun!!!!

Anyway, I've just been on the Florida DMV site and emailed them, and unless I read it wrong, you can have INS docs and/or SSN. I've gotta wait til they get back to me.

Rete, about the SSN. I'm being told a million conflicting stories about these EAD's and POE's. Please help!!!!! I was led to believe that if you went to a "friendly" POE, they would be likely to give you the much desired EAD. I've even been told by an immigration officer that you can insist you get it. Now how do the big wigs expect people to be able to do anything if they don't have an SSN? Someone else said you can't get that til you're married and apply for AOS. But what is the truth? And if I can get an EAD on the spot, which airport should I fly to? Going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SecretGarden:

But, remember. If they ASK you if you've ever jaywalked, DON'T LIE.
SecretGarden
uh oh. I guess I'm guilty of jaywalking too then. You didn't tell me I couldn't just cross anywhere along the road! I said it at the time and I'll say it again - that'll be one of the first laws to get dropped when we get America back under English rule (for your own protection, of course!)
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Driver licensing is a STATE matter in the US. The suggestion of checking with State DMV over the web is an excellent one.

Here in California, you have to show lawful immigration status and that often creates problems. BTW, don't take the word of a line clerk -- ask to see a supervisor.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:39 pm
The Missus

Originally posted by mrpink:

uh oh. I guess I'm guilty of jaywalking too then. You didn't tell me I couldn't just cross anywhere along the road! I said it at the time and I'll say it again - that'll be one of the first laws to get dropped when we get America back under English rule (for your own protection, of course!)
Oh my....I do believe your *crown* must be on too tight, dear! Or perhaps you're simply confused by all that driving on the wrong side of the road.......lol.....
SecretGarden
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Talking Re: oh, my word! what next?

Heh heh!!!!! Dear Lord, what have I started????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.