Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O.T. Where were you when the world stopped turning?

O.T. Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:42 am
trentonramsey

Default O.T. Where were you when the world stopped turning?

I was driving to work and heard some news about it on the radio. It wasnt till I got home, and turned on the news, that I realized what had really happened.

On that day a lot of wives did not see husbands anymore, nor husbands see their wives. I wish to dedicate this thread to the memory of the many people who didnt go home to their families that tragic day in September.

song by Allan Jackson

Where were you when the world stopped turnin'
that September day?
Out in the yard with your wife and children;
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

http://users.cis.net/sammy/seasons.htm

Last edited by trentonramsey; Sep 11th 2003 at 2:27 pm.

Old Sep 11th 2003, 1:46 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

I work in a hospital and had just gotten in. One of the nurses that I joke around with all the time came up to me and said, "Did you hear about the terrorist attack in New York?" I just kind of looked at her confused, so she grabbed my arm and took me into a patient's room. This sweet little old man was waving to the staff to come on in so we could all see the news while he was calling his wife and waking her up. I heard the announcer say something about "plane hitting the WTC" and saw the burning and just thought, "Nah, it's just some weird freak accident." Then they showed the second plane hitting and I knew then that it was actually happening.

Later that morning when I heard about the Pentagon and the last flight still missing, I closed the door to my office and cried for I don't know how long.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O.T. Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Originally posted by trentonramsey
I was driving to work and heard some news about it on the radio. It wasnt till I got home, and turned on the news, that I realized what had really happened.

On that day a lot of wives did not see husbands anymore, nor husbands see their wives. I wish to dedicate this thread to the memory of the many people who didnt go home to their families that tragic day in September.

song by Allan Jackson

that September day?
Out in the yard with your wife and children;
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children
that lost their dear loved ones?
Did you pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
and sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer?
And look at yourself for what really matters?

(Chorus)
I'm just a singer of simple songs;
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference
in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is Love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Teaching a class full of innocent children;
Driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
in a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her?
Did you dust off that bible at home?

Did you open your eyes hope it never happened;
And close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages;
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow;
Go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers?
Stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

(Chorus)
in Iraq and Iran

in Iraq and Iran

that September day?

Hi:

Where were you and what were you doing on November 22, 1963 when you heard the news? I've had clients from Tehran, Tokyo and Tel Aviv who were able to answer that question.

For my daughters it will be where they were on September 11, 2001.

I prefer to remember elder daugther's graduation on June 7, 2002 -- in Boston. Flying into Logan Airport on June 5, 2002 on my first flight since 9/11 on United Airlines and transiting the corridor where the terrorists bound for Flight 175 had walked.

Graduation morning on June 7th in the rain on the Charles River and the Star & Stripes are flying as the Chorallaries sing The Star Spangled Banner -- and tears come to my eyes and I feel a strong emotion of "**** you!, we're still here and this wonderful new generation is still here -- and I'm going to enjoy this no matter what." A very strong defiant thought.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 9/11

An important day we should NEVER forget...and thinking about the people and family s who lost their lives.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My clock radio had just come on, waking me up for work. I usually wake up to music, but that morning there was only talking. Seemed strange to me, and I didn't really listen closely. I got up and started getting ready for work. Suddenly I realized what the broadcaster was saying, WTC had been hit, not once but twice! I sat on my bed in disbelief, then yelled for my sister to turn on the TV, QUICK! We both sat there, stunned, and when I first saw the video clip of the plane smashing into the building, I cried.

God bless all the people whose lives have been affected and altered by this event.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O.T. Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Where were you and what were you doing on November 22, 1963 when you heard the news? I've had clients from Tehran, Tokyo and Tel Aviv who were able to answer that question.
I was in High School and standing at my locker when the principal announced that President Kennedy was shot.

On September 11, 2002 I was walking uptown on Madison Avenue to my office when the first plane hit. I watched the second plane hit on the conference room television set I stood on 6th Avenue an hour later and watched people silently walk uptown 4 and 6 abreast in an attempt to leave the city. Traffic was moving slowly but steadily with the silence distrubed by an occasion radio report of the unfolding events.

If it had occurred one month earlier to the day, I would have been standing on the 37th floor of the Empire State which was my working home for 14 years watching the acts that changed our lives with my former boss and still good friend, an attorney who is an author and former military man who served in Korea from his office window.

I have never cried. The shock was too great then and still is today. Its lingering emotional effects continue to color my small world and I tread going into my office today. I will see the National Guard patroling Grand Central; hear the church bells toll; and attend a candlelight memorial this evening at St. Bart's. Perhaps tonight I will cry.

Rete
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

I was in an hotel in UK with my mother on the day JFK died.

I was on a London street buying a newpaper when I heard Bobbie was killed.

I was packing to visit US for the fist time (planned for 11/13 to NYC) when my son called me down to look at the news. I watched the second plane hit with utter disbelief. We both sat with tears rolling down our faces.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:06 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in South Wales, UK, helping my friend in her store. I heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. Later, she told me another one had hit the other tower. I switched on the TV when I got home, and cried my eyes out when I saw the footage. I sat there in shock for the rest of the night, not believing that people could be so evil.

God bless those who lost their lives, their families, and all the rescue workers who did their best to save others.

Kate. xxxxxxxx
Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I was getting ready to go to shop when the bomb went off in Warrington killing two boys. One was 12 the other a toddler. A bomb paid for in part by ira supporting noraid scum in those same New York streets.

Terrorism is nothing new, the sadness is that the USA finally realised the actions of it's citizens in funding terror when they were hit themelves. Even then it took the US a month after 9/11 to deal with the noraid fund rasiers.

A silent prayer for all the victims of terror around the world. Whether state backed or independently funded, the innocent victims die, and leave people to grief.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:25 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The world is still going round

The world did not stop turning on that bright September day
even mankinds bitter hatred won't stop it on its way
and while sadness lingers in our eyes
and tears track down our cheeks
may the prayer we carry with us
as the years move on from weeks
as we look to God for answers
before the day we die
Perhaps there's just one thing to ask
A simple question...... Why?

I was here visiting the USA, sat in this very seat, when my future wife called me from work to tell me to turn on the TV.
The world didn't stop turning but it became a very different place
and I hope that one day we will all find the answer to that simple question.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 1:33 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

On that September day, I had just arrived at work. The part that spooks me is that I was at the Pentagon (train station) half an hour before the plane crashed. The streets of Washington DC were a nightmare, everyone was trying to drive out of town at once, and so many of the streets were closed off (to protect the White House?). The cars seemed to be moving inch by inch. A coworker kindly offered me a ride home, since I had no other means, being a train/bus commuter. I was in shock when we drove past where we could see the huge clouds of smoke from the Pentagon. When I got home and saw New York on the television, I cried.

Prayers to those who lost their lives and loved ones.

Juliet

Last edited by jcapulet; Sep 11th 2003 at 3:33 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

i was with a patient, we walked out of the treatment room to the waiting room to see the second plane hit. We were all on our knees crying. As the next patient came in they got down also. Soon the room was full of crying, praying people. i could not continue working, my job is to make people feel better, i felt so helpless to the pain that was being felt. Patients drifted in and out.

On the immigration side. i was waiting for Elaine and Mahesh (old newsgroupers). Their flight was to come in from India that day. They had had a successful interview and were headed home. They did not get on the plane, and Elaine was stuck in India for a few weeks. They had baby Nathan 9 months after her visit there (mommy and daddy call him a "little souviener").

My flight was to be with my fiance for his October 4th was to be October 1st. Swiss air went under and i never made it to his interview.

Ok tears are coming again.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

I happened to have the day off, normally I have wednesday off, but my boss was scheduled to fly to New York on thursday so I switched. I always wake up early. That day I was waking up slowing. Then started hearing some of the news my husband was watching.

I thought.. oh, no.. not another plane crash. I had a conversation only two days before with my boss's boyfriend about how safe it is to fly! Well.. the trip to NYC was cancelled.. and my ex-boss's boyfriend says he'll never get on a plane.

Anyways, I spent the day crying and with my husband. Today I will spend the day crying and waiting... w/o my husband.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The World Stopped Turning for Me Many Times

I was two when my mother bundled me up to rush to pick up my brother from school, in tears when JFK died.

I was 4 and playing hopscotch on the streets of BedStuy/Crown Heights when the angry men ran down the street to say that Malcolm X had been killed at the Audubon Ballroom.

I was 7 on those same streets when the wailing and shouting began upon the news that Martin Luther King Jr. was just assasinated. I was still 7 as mothers rushed to school to pick up their children, knowing that all hell would break loose. And still 7 that night, when the street began to burn.

And on September 11, 2001, I awoke at 40 to the radio saying that the World Trade Center was on fire. And I was still 40 when I stood next to my teenage son who had camped out on the couch, on the phone with my Dekkie on the other side of the world, watching a cloud of impenetrable smoke on the television where once stood the majestic I remembered with the same awe I felt as a little girl on a 5th grade field trip when it first opened, rubbing my eyes demanding to know why I could only see one tower in the smoke, only to have my son reply, with the impatience that only teens can show to their mothers:

MOM - it's *GONE*.

Prayers and bright blessings, even through tears, to those that were lost, and those who survived, through all the changes this world has brought to bear.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point

I was getting the kids ready for school and myself ready for work. I always have the TV on in the a.m. to half listen to the news while struggling to convince my children to wear what I picked out for them.

I remember seeing the first tower on fire and listening Katie Couric's (Today Show NBC) relay of events and interviews of people who just saw it happen. Many people thought it was a small cesna that just lost it's way. Others thought it was far bigger than that.

The show broke to a commercial and then came back seconds later. Just in time to show live coverage of the second building being hit. I nearly fell to the floor. You could tell the second plane was intentional and if there was doubt before, there certainly wasn't anymore. Someone was doing this on purpose.

It was an eerie day that day in Minneapolis, no planes on their descent over my office building, no beeping horns from cars stuck in traffic, and no co-workers gossiping at each other's desks ... just silence and grief.

My thoughts and prayers are with those feeling pain today from the loss they experienced on September 11th, 2001.

But my prayers are also with those who lose someone everyday to war and terrorism.

Peace and blessings to all of us........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.