O/T Pet Tax

Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:30 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet Tax

Hi All,

My wife was telling me last night that when we get to USA we will have to pay an annual 'pet tax' for our cat so I went on the NC website and then a few others and can't find anything about it. Anyone know what she is talking about? Is the woman mad or is there a pet tax in America and does it cover imaginary pets.

Patrick

Who put O/T in front of the subject, I don't consider it O/T as Immigration forum and it will be part of my immigration investigation, it might also be usefull for others. Whoever did it take O/T off. If it had of been O/T I would of put O/T on it myself and don't care much for censorship. Now if it was a thread about Pirates, now that would be O/T.

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 7th 2002 at 12:59 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not. We live in NC and have had a cat for two years, and have not heard, or paid for a "Pet Tax". I hope the "Pet Tax Police" don't do an audit or we're in big trouble!

Seriously, I haven't heard of such a thing as tax on a pet......mind you, everything else is taxed so it wouldn't surprise me!!

Sue
Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Tax

Originally posted by Patrick
Hi All,

My wife was telling me last night that when we get to USA we will have to pay an annual 'pet tax' for our cat so I went on the NC website and then a few others and can't find anything about it. Anyone know what she is talking about? Is the woman mad or is there a pet tax in America and does it cover imaginary pets.

Patrick
Might not mean a pet tax as per the government but a fee to the rental agent for allowing a pet to reside on the premises. This is not uncommon I've found in southern states. My daughters both paid such an annual fee while residing in Northern Virginia and in Florida.

Rete
Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Might not mean a pet tax as per the government but a fee to the rental agent for allowing a pet to reside on the premises. This is not uncommon I've found in southern states. My daughters both paid such an annual fee while residing in Northern Virginia and in Florida.

Rete
I was obviously unclear, this is sum of money paid to the state every year for owning a pet, she said it was about $10 a year in Massachusetts

Patrick
Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
Ditto the Northeast - many landlords ban pets altogether and some others charge an additional fee each month over and above the rent.

However I've read of one beach resort town in NH that has an additional dog tax for dog owners to cover the cost of cleaning the beach, perhaps it is a local thing?
Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was obviously unclear, this is sum of money paid to the state every year for owning a pet, she said it was about $10 a year in Massachusetts

Patrick
Not for the State of Massachusetts that I am familiar with. My best friend of 20 years lives in the Berkshires and has over all those years owned from one to three cats at a time, and often one or two dogs in addition to the cats. She complains about the Vet bills but never has had to pay a state tax for owning a pet.

Rete
Old Nov 7th 2002, 1:19 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Patrick

Who put O/T in front of the subject, I don't consider it O/T as Immigration forum and it will be part of my immigration investigation, it might also be usefull for others. Whoever did it take O/T off. If it had of been O/T I would of put O/T on it myself and don't care much for censorship. Now if it was a thread about Pirates, now that would be O/T.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRG, Matey! (That was a *pirate*, btw)

Ok, as far as the pet tax thing goes, what they may be referring to is the pet's annual "license". I have a dog, and each year there is a rabies vaccination that the dog needs to be given. The cost is about $10 and you get a little jangley tag that goes on their collar with their "license" number on it. I am not a cat owner so I don't know if cats are subject to the same type of thing, but the dogs have to be vaccinated and licensed each year. If you're really needing an answer to this burning question, try calling the Department of Animal Control for the county to which you'll be moving. Hope this helps. *WOOOOF*!

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 7th 2002, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi mate,
Are you sure you've got it right.
I know you have a Troll at the bottom of your garden, perhaps you are
considering bringing it.
But when the wife said pet tax, she probably meant Petrol tax,
not Pet Troll tax.
Bad joke, sorry.

7 days to go eh !! no problem.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 1:58 pm
Steve And Lisa

Default Re: O/T Pet Tax

Most states require you have to have a "pet license" yearly, here in Ohio
for a dog it runs $10 a year. (none required for our cat.) Possibly that is
what she is talking about?? Or maybe she's just winding you up. ;o)

--
Lisa
Our INS Journey from I-130 to N-400 thus far..............
www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"Patrick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    > My wife was telling me last night that when we get to USA we will have
    > to pay an annual 'pet tax' for our cat so I went on the NC website and
    > then a few others and can't find anything about it. Anyone know what she
    > is talking about? Is the woman mad or is there a pet tax in America and
    > does it cover imaginary pets.
    > Patrick
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 7th 2002, 2:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Hi mate,
Are you sure you've got it right.
I know you have a Troll at the bottom of your garden, perhaps you are
considering bringing it.
But when the wife said pet tax, she probably meant Petrol tax,
not Pet Troll tax.
Bad joke, sorry.

7 days to go eh !! no problem.
The insanity is catching. quick everyone run for your lifes before you become a mindless moron, whoops too late for you mr travel

Disclaimer: this is a joke of course, mr travel is not a mindless moron and I appologise to all mindless morons who I offended by the association

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 7th 2002 at 2:10 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 2:11 pm
Steve And Lisa

Sounds like a pet license......you are required in many states to have
them. (You have to show proof of vaccinations to get them usually.)

--
Lisa
Our INS Journey from I-130 to N-400 thus far..............
www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"Patrick" wrote in message

> I was obviously unclear, this is sum of money paid to the state every
    > year for owning a pet, she said it was about $10 a year in Massachusetts
    > Patrick
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:02 pm
spam

In article , Steve and Lisa
writes
    >Sounds like a pet license......you are required in many states to have
    >them. (You have to show proof of vaccinations to get them usually.)
In Seattle/Washington there's a non-mandatory pet license - having one
puts your pet onto a database and should it stray you get notified.
--
paul
58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes
97-99 London 99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:08 pm
Mjones

"Patrick" wrote:

> My wife was telling me last night that when we get to USA we will have
    > to pay an annual 'pet tax' for our cat so
    >Anyone know what she is talking about? Is the woman mad
    >or is there a pet tax in America

Your wife isn't mad. Trust me on this one.
When the country was first being settled, some colonists brought over
animals with them that were not useful for food. With great outrage, the
"petless" colonists demanded death for these animals. As time went by,
certain wealthier new colonists were able to donate a couple silver or gold
coins and thus "license" the useless animals. When the new colonies created
surpluses of food and resources, the issue slowly went away as "not being
important", or as we say nowadays, became "petty".

The tax is still extracted in the form of a "license", and in most locales,
the maximum number of licenses per household may be 3, or 5, or some other
arbitrary number, depending on the local surpluses of food and resources.
Excess animals beyond this number are subject to seizure by "Animal Control"
and summarily gassed to death after 3 days.
So nothing really has changed.

Mike

Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:28 pm
Steve And Lisa

Nice that yours voluntary.......Where we live it is mandatory, if caught
without a license there is a fine. I suppose they are trying to get people
to be more responsible with their pets and keep their vaccinations up to
date as well as a way to notify the owners if they stray. (Considering that
the wild animals such as raccoons each year have greater numbers of rabies
carriers, it would be unwise to not get your pet a rabies vaccine.)

I do wish they would keep better tabs on the dangerous dogs here as they do
in the UK. (pitbulls etc) because recently there were two separate attacks
in one week. (

Lisa

wrote in message
    > In article , Steve and Lisa
    > writes
    > >Sounds like a pet license......you are required in many states to have
    > >them. (You have to show proof of vaccinations to get them usually.)
    > >
    > In Seattle/Washington there's a non-mandatory pet license - having one
    > puts your pet onto a database and should it stray you get notified.
    > --
    > paul
    > 58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes
    > 97-99 London 99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Nov 7th 2002, 6:22 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick,

Are you sure it is a cat you have and not a parrot??

Debbie (DEFINITELY O/T )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.