O/T American English

Old Mar 13th 2003, 10:48 pm
laadla

bhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nice
Default O/T American English

Hello,

However, America is perceived as a monolithic Goliath of English speaking people from different countries, its ‘English’ is a bit different than it’s used ‘commonly’ elsewhere. There are words, throughout, that the most of us use, but Americans don't.

As most of us [aliens] know, Americans drive on RHS, they also refer Lbs. instead of kg/gm. Countless words don’t sound ‘right’ in American English.

There’s an extensive list of American/English equivalents and the American pronunciations that the ‘newcomers’ need to know.

I don’t have the exact ‘quote’, but I know some one said: “ though British and American are almost the same, they are divided by English.�

For example:

English American English

Torch flashlight

Jumper sweater

Fortnight two weeks

Dustbin garbage bag/can

Whilst while

Car park Parking lot

Handbag purse/pocketbook

Footpath/pavement Sidewalk

Telephone directory phone book

Underground subways

Petrol gas

I am sure, if u add on, finally, ‘the list’ will provide an insight into American English and will help to avoid misunderstanding.

happy adding...

b-hola

[still waiting for SSN]
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

one more:

BCIS #@%$&!

My foreign friends always comment on how Americans are so much less formal and so much more direct in expressing their thoughts.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O/T American English

Originally posted by bhola
Hello,

However, America is perceived as a monolithic Goliath of English speaking people from different countries, its ‘English’ is a bit different than it’s used ‘commonly’ elsewhere. There are words, throughout, that the most of us use, but Americans don't.

As most of us [aliens] know, Americans drive on RHS, they also refer Lbs. instead of kg/gm. Countless words don’t sound ‘right’ in American English.

There’s an extensive list of American/English equivalents and the American pronunciations that the ‘newcomers’ need to know.

I don’t have the exact ‘quote’, but I know some one said: “ though British and American are almost the same, they are divided by English.�

For example:

English American English

Torch flashlight

Jumper sweater

Fortnight two weeks

Dustbin garbage bag/can

Whilst while

Car park Parking lot

Handbag purse/pocketbook

Underground subways

Petrol gas

I am sure, if u add on, finally, ‘the list’ will provide an insight into American English and will help to avoid misunderstanding.

happy adding...

b-hola

[still waiting for SSN]
Best of British / Effingpot is a great place to look up UK to US words:
www.effingpot.com/index.html

As does this site:
The American-British/British-American Dictionary
http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dict.html
Old Mar 14th 2003, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bhola
Hello,

For example:

English American English

Torch flashlight

Jumper sweater

Fortnight two weeks

Dustbin garbage bag/can

Whilst while

Car park Parking lot

Handbag purse/pocketbook

Underground subways

Petrol gas

happy adding...

b-hola

[still waiting for SSN]
Supposedly credited to Winston Churchill about the US and UK being two countries devided by a common language.

Don't forget the Canadian variant.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 2:27 am
L D Jones

Folinskyinla wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by bhola
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > However, America is perceived as a monolithic Goliath of English
    > > speaking people from different countries, its ‘English’ is a bit
[...]
    >
    > Supposedly credited to Winston Churchill about the US and UK being two
    > countries devided by a common language.

And Churchill should know, his mother was American

Old Mar 14th 2003, 5:27 am
Paul

Actually it may have been George Bernard Shaw....or Oscar Wilde
(according to some)......but almost certainly not Winston
Churchill....at least not the first time !!!!!

Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:51 am
Dana Burke

Damn, I was giving credit to my fiance for having said it... sheesh...

Dana

"Paul" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Actually it may have been George Bernard Shaw....or Oscar Wilde
    > (according to some)......but almost certainly not Winston
    > Churchill....at least not the first time !!!!!

Old Mar 14th 2003, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't tell you how many times I have been told abroad by foreigners(well I guess they wouldn't be foreigners while abroad, but I think you get my point) that I don't know how to speak english, I used to be perplexed by this since it is the only language I really knew being an American. But other countries really dissect the english language while teaching it and thus they become experts in correcting me? lol
Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

jockgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

well lol
my problem is,being a jock,an having,by American standards at least,a very heavy burr lol,I get laughed at on both sides of the Atlantic.Ive been in America 16 years so i use American words but with a strong scottish accent,people still dont know what I am saying lol.Then when I go home everyone laughs and says I sound so American lol.In this country tho very few people know Im scottish,been asked if Im Australian,Irish,South African and the 1 I still cant suss is Portugese lol.Oh well such is life I guess.Mind you when I first got here and had a really serious accent and i used Scottish words I was a constant source of amusement
plaster=bandaid
hoover=vaccume
cooker=stove
boot=trunk
mince=hamburger
So now whats happened is Im a constant source of amusement on the other side of the atlantic lol
Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me for asking but does

jock = scottish

I thought your handle meant you were an athletic girl.

Rete

Originally posted by jockgurl
well lol
my problem is,being a jock,an having,by American standards at least,a very heavy burr lol,I get laughed at on both sides of the Atlantic.Ive been in America 16 years so i use American words but with a strong scottish accent,people still dont know what I am saying lol.Then when I go home everyone laughs and says I sound so American lol.In this country tho very few people know Im scottish,been asked if Im Australian,Irish,South African and the 1 I still cant suss is Portugese lol.Oh well such is life I guess.Mind you when I first got here and had a really serious accent and i used Scottish words I was a constant source of amusement
plaster=bandaid
hoover=vaccume
cooker=stove
boot=trunk
mince=hamburger
So now whats happened is Im a constant source of amusement on the other side of the atlantic lol
Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

jockgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

lmao
yeah Rete it means Scottish lol Im about as far from athletic as u can get an still be mobile lmao.Too old an worn out lol.Oh yeah an the rum an ciggies dont help either lol