Wikiposts

NYC roll call

Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC roll call

Originally Posted by grouchy
I don't understand your post.
Your post seemed to indicate that you were going to contact your congressperson so that you would get a 10-year card. If I misread it, I apologize as I can see how my post would then appear to come out of nowhere!

But, since I'm going on about this anyway... simply put, many people seem to go out of their way to ensure that their AOS interview takes place after their 2nd wedding anniversary so that they will get the 10-year card and not the 2-year card. Some people, whose interview has been scheduled just prior to their 2nd wedding anniversary, have tried (frivolously, IMHO) to cancel or postpone their interivew until after the anniversary. Some people have gone so far as to involve their local or state government representative!

The trouble is there's no guarantee that USCIS will receive, let alone approve such a request prior to the actual interview date, and if you miss the interview there is a high probability that your application will be deemed abandoned. If it is, it's a heck of a job getting USCIS to reopen the case. Further, depending on where you file, even if you do have an AOS interview after your 2nd wedding anniversary, you may still only get a 2-year card.

I am 7 months pregnant ...
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:44 am
Just Joined

fidjsnipzz is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied in July of 2003 and just received an interview for the end of August. Quick question...as we have been married for over 2 years now...will the interview automatically be for the 10 year gc or do we have to fill out something extra?
Thanks,
Melissa
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidjsnipzz
... will the interview automatically be for the 10 year gc or do we have to fill out something extra?
You may or may not get a 10-year card. You *should* get a 10-year card, but some offices only hand out a 2-year card even if you've been married for more than 2 years at the time of the interview.

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2005, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Callwaiting18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phurchuluh
Got the Greencard after 2nd anniversary [2 year + 1 month]. It is 2 year conditional card.
Made an Appointment to Federal Plaza. Waste of time. In NYC K1 applicants don't get 10 year card. Local rule interpreted that way.
Applied for I-90 [to replace to 10 year card] to national service center bypassing Local Office. Will see if it helps.
>>>Where is it stated that NYC K1 APPLICANTS DO NOT GET A 10 YEAR CARD??
BTW, a 1-90 is to "replace" a green card, NOT to "replace to a 10 year Green Card
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Got the Greencard after 2nd anniversary [2 year + 1 month]. It is 2 year conditional card.
Made an Appointment to Federal Plaza. Waste of time. In NYC K1 applicants don't get 10 year card. Local rule interpreted that way.
Applied for I-90 [to replace to 10 year card] to national service center bypassing Local Office. Will see if it helps.

As Ian was saying... why is it such a big deal to get a 10yr card? Just think, all this time and effort you're putting forth to replace the original green card you got could be spent relaxing or doing something productive. It would probably be less effort to just wait for a year and 9 months, fill out the dumb I-751 form, and continue living. I guess I just dont see what the big deal is
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

grouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura about

I was just wondering whether contacting congressperson might help to secure an interview. There seem to be a number of people who filed around the time we did or after that have already gotten notices, so I thought it might be worth a shot. I would not be dumb enough to try to delay an interview that was already scheduled. But now I am confused by one of the posts about K-1s not getting a 10 year card as I have read plenty of posts on this site and kamya suggesting that they do get the 10 year card after the second year interview, unless they are unlucky enough to get an officer who doesn't understand the policy (i think i remember folinskaya making a comment about that).

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your post seemed to indicate that you were going to contact your congressperson so that you would get a 10-year card. If I misread it, I apologize as I can see how my post would then appear to come out of nowhere!

But, since I'm going on about this anyway... simply put, many people seem to go out of their way to ensure that their AOS interview takes place after their 2nd wedding anniversary so that they will get the 10-year card and not the 2-year card. Some people, whose interview has been scheduled just prior to their 2nd wedding anniversary, have tried (frivolously, IMHO) to cancel or postpone their interivew until after the anniversary. Some people have gone so far as to involve their local or state government representative!

The trouble is there's no guarantee that USCIS will receive, let alone approve such a request prior to the actual interview date, and if you miss the interview there is a high probability that your application will be deemed abandoned. If it is, it's a heck of a job getting USCIS to reopen the case. Further, depending on where you file, even if you do have an AOS interview after your 2nd wedding anniversary, you may still only get a 2-year card.

Congratulations!

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Phurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Callwaiting18
>>>Where is it stated that NYC K1 APPLICANTS DO NOT GET A 10 YEAR CARD??
BTW, a 1-90 is to "replace" a green card, NOT to "replace to a 10 year Green Card
It is not stated anywhere. That's my experience obtained in Federal Plaza NYC

I-90 allows to correct errors. The Error in my case is the wrong Expiration date. I spoke with Immifration officer in National Services, She did agree that was a mistake. So I applied to correct the error.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Phurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the roughPhurchuluh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andrea874
why is it such a big deal to get a 10yr card?
You are a quicky-lucky greencard holder. You don't feel it.
I have waited over 2 years to get it. I want uncondittional green card. That is a BIG DEAL for me.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I have waited over 2 years to get it. I want uncondittional green card. That is a BIG DEAL for me.
Yes I was lucky to get it quick. However, the fact remains - a green card is a green card. Whether it took me 3 months or 20 years to get approved, one would think they would just be happy with an approval, whether its valid for 2 or 10 yrs
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:32 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A bit more back here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=margaret

After waiting 17 months for security clearance and having been married 2 year and a few weeks ..Margaret only got a 2 year card .. that was in Boise
Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrea874
the fact remains - a green card is a green card. one would think they would just be happy with an approval, whether its valid for 2 or 10 yrs
I got your point. But, somehow, I feel that my fight with INS is not over yet.

And another issue arrises here. To apply for UCS I will have to wait for another 3 years which brings total waiting time to 5 years. I really want to get all this legalization done, after that I can relux and "just be happy"
Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

And another issue arrises here. To apply for UCS I will have to wait for another 3 years which brings total waiting time to 5 years. I really want to get all this legalization done, after that I can relux and "just be happy"

Thats not true, having a conditional card counts towards your time as an LPR just the same way a 10yr card does!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:56 am
Account Closed

I have waited over 2 years to get it.
Ah, quit whining! I waited 33 months from the time I sent in the paperwork until my interview. It sounds to me like you've got a bone up your ass for no reason at all. You enjoy complaining because you can.

To apply for UCS I will have to wait for another 3 years which brings total waiting time to 5 years.
In a previous post in this thread I wrote, "... being a CPR does not affect the ability to file for naturalization 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of becoming a PR." So, which part of that didn't you understand? Maybe you just don't understand that when you become a CPR you become a PR! Conditional does not mean temporary! Got it yet?

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to agree with what others have said....you can apply for Citizenship 3 years from the date you became a PR - either CPR or LPR, makes no difference. Becoming a CPR first does not add more years to the time you must wait to become a Citizen.

Really, there is NO difference between CPR and LPR except for the filing of one more form and $200 more dollars if you happen to become a CPR. All the regulations of being a PR are the same.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Really, there is NO difference between CPR and LPR except for the filing of one more form and $200 more dollars if you happen to become a CPR.
Don't you think that a subclass of inadmissible aliens should be created to include stupid people? I do!

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.