Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you can file AP?

NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you can file AP?

Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you can file AP?

Hello,

My fiance and I are getting married on April 26th in NYC in a great little chapel thanks to a referral by desusa on this NG.

1- Does NYC BCIS allow you to walk-in to get your marriage certificate recorded or do you have to mail it? If you have to mail it, anyone know what the time frame is to get the certificate back recorded?

2- Do you have to apply for advanced parole after you get married and receive your recorded marriage certificate or can you apply for this at any time? I just read the form instructions and it doesn't specify.

The reason I ask question #2 is that we are trying to plan a honeymoon out of country which we would like to book by september and I'd like to get approval for AP asap so that we have enough time to reserve our flights/hotel for the busy holiday time. I get the impression that the AP application is part of the entire AOS application process which should be submitted all together but just wanted to check.

thanks,

John
Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you can file AP?

Originally posted by tcylinder
Hello,

My fiance and I are getting married on April 26th in NYC in a great little chapel thanks to a referral by desusa on this NG.

1- Does NYC BCIS allow you to walk-in to get your marriage certificate recorded or do you have to mail it? If you have to mail it, anyone know what the time frame is to get the certificate back recorded?

Has nothing to do with BCIS. It is a matter of policy of the City of New York. Ask the officiant of your wedding if it is possible for you to hand carry your signed certificate to NYC City Hall for registration. If you don't already have the marriage license, why not look into obtaining it someplace else other than NYC. For example a small town on Long Island. We're in Westchester County and used our city hall for the marriage license. We married in Lake George but hand carried the signed license after the wedding to the same city hall where it was obtained and gave them a pre-paid 2 day priority envelope and had the registered certificate in four days.

2- Do you have to apply for advanced parole after you get married and receive your recorded marriage certificate or can you apply for this at any time? I just read the form instructions and it doesn't specify.

You don't have to apply for advance (no past tense on the word) parole unless you want to. You are only free to apply for A/P with or after you have filed for adjustment of status. In order to qualify for A/P you need to have filed for adjustment. I believe the form specifically asks for qualifying status or some wording to that effect.

The reason I ask question #2 is that we are trying to plan a honeymoon out of country which we would like to book by september and I'd like to get approval for AP asap so that we have enough time to reserve our flights/hotel for the busy holiday time. I get the impression that the AP application is part of the entire AOS application process which should be submitted all together but just wanted to check.

You are dealing with NYC INS. The timeline varies for this office. You will see a post re this from a NYC user who posted yesterday or the day before that they were just issued their A/P from NYC.

thanks,

John [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:15 pm
vze33hss

Default Re: NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you

in article [email protected], tcylinder at
[email protected] wrote on 4/10/03 11:26 AM:

>
    > Hello,
    >
    > My fiance and I are getting married on April 26th in NYC in a great
    > little chapel thanks to a referral by desusa on this NG.
    >
    > 1- Does NYC BCIS allow you to walk-in to get your marriage certificate
    > recorded or do you have to mail it? If you have to mail it, anyone know
    > what the time frame is to get the certificate back recorded?
    >
    > 2- Do you have to apply for advanced parole after you get married and
    > receive your recorded marriage certificate or can you apply for this at
    > any time? I just read the form instructions and it doesn't specify.
    >
    > The reason I ask question #2 is that we are trying to plan a honeymoon
    > out of country which we would like to book by september and I'd like to
    > get approval for AP asap so that we have enough time to reserve our
    > flights/hotel for the busy holiday time. I get the impression that the
    > AP application is part of the entire AOS application process which
    > should be submitted all together but just wanted to check.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Hey John,

Tell us about the chapel!!

Toria

Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John,

I'm glad I could help with your choice of wedding officiant. As I said before I thought Paula was lovely and caring.
Also, you are marrying almost exactly one year to the day my husband and I were married (27th April 2002).
I wish you every happiness in your future together.

BTW, the estimate on my previous post for the processing of the marriage certificate was a little too long. I previously estimated it took about a month to receive our official marriage certificate in the mail. I later located the envelope it arrived in and it was mailed from city hall in Manhattan on the 7th May 2002 (only 10 days after the wedding). Apologies for the mis-information.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited by desusa; Apr 10th 2003 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: NYC recording marriage certificate in person? & Earliest you can file AP?

Originally posted by Rete
Hello,

Has nothing to do with BCIS. It is a matter of policy of the City of New York. Ask the officiant of your wedding if it is possible for you to hand carry your signed certificate to NYC City Hall for registration. If you don't already have the marriage license, why not look into obtaining it someplace else other than NYC. For example a small town on Long Island. We're in Westchester County and used our city hall for the marriage license. We married in Lake George but hand carried the signed license after the wedding to the same city hall where it was obtained and gave them a pre-paid 2 day priority envelope and had the registered certificate in four days.

You don't have to apply for advance (no past tense on the word) parole unless you want to. You are only free to apply for A/P with or after you have filed for adjustment of status. In order to qualify for A/P you need to have filed for adjustment. I believe the form specifically asks for qualifying status or some wording to that effect.

You are dealing with NYC INS. The timeline varies for this office. You will see a post re this from a NYC user who posted yesterday or the day before that they were just issued their A/P from NYC.

thanks,

John
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering my questions. Sorry about the usage BCIS instead of NYC. I try to be as clear as I can when asking questions but I am not well versed in all of the semantics of this area of government. Also, I understand you don't have to apply for AP and see that I didn't make it clear that I need to apply for this in my question but my last statement in the post clarified this.

From one stickler to another,your thoroughness is appreciated as one detail can make or break you in this process.

Good advice on going to a smaller town for the marriage license. Being in Westchester, do you have any idea where I might find a city hall adjacent to a metro north train stop? I'll research this myself but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks Again.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Toria,

See the thread link below for info. on the chapel.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=desusa

Susan
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by desusa
Toria,

See the thread link below for info. on the chapel.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=desusa

Susan
Rete,

Disregard my question about city halls.

I called white plains and their city hall is a few blocks from the train stop and they will record and issue the marriage license the same day you bring it back.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Disregard my question about city halls.

I called white plains and their city hall is a few blocks from the train stop and they will record and issue the marriage license the same day you bring it back.
I just typed and was about to send my response when I saw yours. It is a bit more than a few blocks but it is a nice town and you will find lots of shopping and good restaurants. In fact if you drive it is right off of the Bronx River Parkway. The White Plains station is nice and there is a cab service right there.

Rete
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by vze33hss
in article [email protected], tcylinder at
[email protected] wrote on 4/10/03 11:26 AM:

>
    > Hello,
    >
    > My fiance and I are getting married on April 26th in NYC in a great
    > little chapel thanks to a referral by desusa on this NG.
    >
    > 1- Does NYC BCIS allow you to walk-in to get your marriage certificate
    > recorded or do you have to mail it? If you have to mail it, anyone know
    > what the time frame is to get the certificate back recorded?
    >
    > 2- Do you have to apply for advanced parole after you get married and
    > receive your recorded marriage certificate or can you apply for this at
    > any time? I just read the form instructions and it doesn't specify.
    >
    > The reason I ask question #2 is that we are trying to plan a honeymoon
    > out of country which we would like to book by september and I'd like to
    > get approval for AP asap so that we have enough time to reserve our
    > flights/hotel for the busy holiday time. I get the impression that the
    > AP application is part of the entire AOS application process which
    > should be submitted all together but just wanted to check.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Hey John,

Tell us about the chapel!!

Toria
Hi, almost missed your question as i'm still getting used to this forum.

The chapel is fairly small max 20 people. The woman who owns and runs the service -Paula- is a spiritual non-denominational marriage officiant/minister . The room is a lavender like color with candles and purple velvet-like drapery. She plays traditional wedding music and it is very nice and simple. It is in a nice Manhattan location right off of park avenue and situated on the first floor of a 50's style charming Manhattan office building. For the cost it seemed like a pleasant and affordable alternative to city hall.

Paula is nice and seems to really care about what she does.

Best wishes
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

I just typed and was about to send my response when I saw yours. It is a bit more than a few blocks but it is a nice town and you will find lots of shopping and good restaurants. In fact if you drive it is right off of the Bronx River Parkway. The White Plains station is nice and there is a cab service right there.

Rete
Sorry to "cut you off" right before you sent your response what city were you going to suggest?
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rete
Sorry to "cut you off" right before you sent your response what city were you going to suggest?
Old Apr 11th 2003, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by desusa
Hi John,

I'm glad I could help with your choice of wedding officiant. As I said before I thought Paula was lovely and caring.
Also, you are marrying almost exactly one year to the day my husband and I were married (27th April 2002).
I wish you every happiness in your future together.

BTW, the estimate on my previous post for the processing of the marriage certificate was a little too long. I previously estimated it took about a month to receive our official marriage certificate in the mail. I later located the envelope it arrived in and it was mailed from city hall in Manhattan on the 7th May 2002 (only 10 days after the wedding). Apologies for the mis-information.

Good Luck to you.
How cool that our anniversaries are only one day apart . No problem about the marriage license information. I'm still thinking about bringing it to white plains so as to avoid the downtown federal plaza scene. It will be a nice little trip out of the city and I spoke with someone there who said they will record the license while we wait instead of mailing it to us.
Old Apr 11th 2003, 4:31 pm
Concierge

How cool that our anniversaries are only one day apart . No problem about the marriage license information. I'm still thinking about bringing it to white plains so as to avoid the downtown federal plaza scene. It will be a nice little trip out of the city and I spoke with someone there who said they will record the license while we wait instead of mailing it to us.

Just a note here ....

You can't bring it to White Plains unless it was obtained in White Plains.

City Hall in New York City is not in Federal Plaza although close by. Hey it will give you an opportunity to see the Federal Plaza/BCIS building.

Rete
Old Apr 11th 2003, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Just a note here ....

You can't bring it to White Plains unless it was obtained in White Plains.

City Hall in New York City is not in Federal Plaza although close by. Hey it will give you an opportunity to see the Federal Plaza/BCIS building.

Rete
Thanks, I was aware that I'd have to make a trip out there to get the license and then return to get it recorded.

I guess I'll get to see the all the good stuff downtown when I camp out all night for the EAD card in a few months.