Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

In NY now with K3 visa, whats next???

In NY now with K3 visa, whats next???

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Millana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In NY now with K3 visa, whats next???

Hey everyone, been awhile since i visited the site.

I finally arrived in NY last Sunday, 11/16/03.

Anyone who can tell me what to do next?

Me and hubby went to a local SS office to apply for my SSN, but was told that I have to have an EAD first before i qualify for an SSN. Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In NY now with K3 visa, whats next???

Welcome to the States!

You might want to check out Cindy's EAD Roll Call thread and check the timelines. EAD is usually the first step but it seems there is not always consistency (big surprise) between SS offices.

Have you updated your signature timeline? It's helpful for all of still pending with K3s

Thanks and glad you make it!!! What a great Thanksgiving/Christmas present for you and your husband!

Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by Millana

Me and hubby went to a local SS office to apply for my SSN, but was told that I have to have an EAD first before i qualify for an SSN. Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,

Welcome Millana. Yes, for a K3er, you DO have to get an EAD first in order to apply for an SSN that is more than an identity type ID. The EAD or 765 is done through a Chicago address. Please make sure and double check the address on that when you send off the form because it's a multipurpose one (like the 129F) with different categories going to different post office boxes. No sense in wasting time because it went to the wrong place. The "official" current date that they are posting for applications for K3 EADs is 03 September. That date was posted on 6 November. They have approved EADs recently (in the last week or so) from earlier than that and later than that. However judging from the thread we have going right now, it's kind of hit and miss, so plan on 2 months or so to get your EAD......... If you get it sooner, consider it a blessing, if you get it later, well.................
Good luck
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,

Hey Millana:

My husband is also here in NY with a K3 Visa. Your next step would be to apply for EAD (work authorization) at MSC and mail it to the Chicago address indicated. You need to have an EAD in order to obtain a SSN. Next, my husband waited for his I-130 to be approved at VSC before applying for AOS via NYC district office. That's it. Here we are patiently waiting. See our timeline below.

Good luck.

~Claudia and Jose