Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

NVC questions on DS-260

NVC questions on DS-260

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default NVC questions on DS-260

Hi

I am at the NVC stage and I am after some advice from people who have completed the DS260.

1. I already have a Socail Security Number and I entered the number in as it wanted. In the next part it asks do I need a new card? Do I say YES or NO to this? Is this a physical card or just the std piece of paper like I already have.

2. My wife is the US citizen and in one part it asks does she intend to immigrate with me? Is this NO as she already lives in the US? Then it asks does she intend to in the future? Is this NO and NO.

3. My wife has just had my twins and they were born in the US and live with her. It asks do my children intend to immigrate with me and do they intend to in the future? Is this NO and NO.

4. Same question above with regard my wifes 2 other children (my step children)

Thanks,

Stu
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NVC questions on DS-260

1. If you already have a SS card (with no legend from DHS indicating the need for work authorization), then you don't need a new card.

2, 3, 4. Correct. No and no.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. If you already have a SS card (with no legend from DHS indicating the need for work authorization), then you don't need a new card.

2, 3, 4. Correct. No and no.

Rene
Hi Rene,

Thanks for that.

My SS card I had to apply for when I was working in the US for the company I worked for. AFAIK it is one I can just use as I can't see it would be linked to my E2 work visa would it? Not sure what you mean about no legend from DHS?

Stu
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at your SS card. Does it say "valid only with DHS authorization" (or similar) on it? If so, you'll need a new card (the number stays the same). If it doesn't say that, you can keep the same card.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2018, 1:57 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

If it does have the legend you can either request a new one via the DS-260 or go into your local social security office with your endorsed passport and your old card and request a new one without the legend to be sent to you.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 2:35 pm

I would do the latter. Eluminates the risk of getting a second social security number.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2018, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone.

Not being thick but I am sure mine is just a piece of paper with the number on? I don't have a physical card like I have a UK National Insurance card (as an example)
Old Oct 4th 2018, 3:44 pm

The SS card is a piece of paper, on a size that might fit in a wallet. It's not laminated or on heavy cardstock or anything.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2018, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The SS card is a piece of paper, on a size that might fit in a wallet. It's not laminated or on heavy cardstock or anything.

Rene
Hi Rene,

I checked and mine does have the DHS work authorization on it so looks like I will have to click YES to that and have a new card. Will they automatically send me one without this DHS stamp on it and will they know that's the reason I want a new one?

Thanks,

Stu
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu_blue
Hi Rene,

I checked and mine does have the DHS work authorization on it so looks like I will have to click YES to that and have a new card. Will they automatically send me one without this DHS stamp on it and will they know that's the reason I want a new one?

Thanks,

Stu
Say no and go yourself to an office. Otherwise you may end up lost in a system and be wondering if one will ever show up.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Say no and go yourself to an office. Otherwise you may end up lost in a system and be wondering if one will ever show up.
Do I have to wait until this whole process is sorted and I get my Greencard? Or would I go now when I go back to the US for a few weeks next week?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wait until you have finished the process and entered the US with your approval visa. You need at least the I551 in your passport to be eligible to have the legend removed.

BTW having the legend still there for a bit is not a problem. It only means at the time of accepting employment, if you find a job before you have the new card, that you have to show your I-551 stamp and/or green card to the employer when you complete the I-9.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Rete is correct. There is no rush to even get it done at all.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 1:17 pm

I agree with the others. Tick "no" on the form (otherwise you risk getting a second SSN).

After you arrive in the USA on your immigrant visa, go in person to ask for a new card (same number) without the legend.

Rene