Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

No record of Childhood vaccinations at Health Board??!

No record of Childhood vaccinations at Health Board??!

Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

ella2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No record of Childhood vaccinations at Health Board??!

My hubby enquired at his doctors surgery to find out all the vaccinations he had as a child-they don't have any record apart from tetanus! .He was born in 1964 and apparently it wasn't customary to keep those records for long at the Health Board.Now he has no clue what to say about that at his medical next week.His parents are deceased so no help there.How can he prove what he has had and what he needs? We live in Scotland.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No record of Childhood vaccinations at Health Board??!

Originally Posted by ella2013
My hubby enquired at his doctors surgery to find out all the vaccinations he had as a child-they don't have any record apart from tetanus! .He was born in 1964 and apparently it wasn't customary to keep those records for long at the Health Board.Now he has no clue what to say about that at his medical next week.His parents are deceased so no help there.How can he prove what he has had and what he needs? We live in Scotland.
They can do a titre test, or they can just go by his age and where he's lived all his life.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

He may just have to get them re-done. He will need two MMR shots 4 weeks apart and a tetanus within the last 10 years (if the record they have is that recent). Otherwise another tetanus will have to be done.

Because there isnt time for two MMR's, he will probably be able to get a waiver for the second one because it wont be medically appropriate.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene and Holly.He is going to call th surgery tomorrow and arrange to get the first MMR vaccinantion before the medical exam.He had a tetanus recently so that's ok.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ella2013
Thanks Rene and Holly.He is going to call th surgery tomorrow and arrange to get the first MMR vaccinantion before the medical exam.He had a tetanus recently so that's ok.
Did the tetanus shot include pertussis? Worth getting a booster for pertussis/whooping cough as it is becoming very widespread in the US.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Probably not.will have to look into that,thanks
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Did the tetanus shot include pertussis? Worth getting a booster for pertussis/whooping cough as it is becoming very widespread in the US.
That'd be because is seems the pertussis vax isn't very effective. Or at least a batch of it. Huge issues here in San Diego.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
That'd be because is seems the pertussis vax isn't very effective. Or at least a batch of it. Huge issues here in San Diego.
No, it's because hipster parents wrongly think vaccines are more dangerous than the diseases they prevent.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Hi Ella, I don't know if you have read my recent thread on my hubby's medical. Hubby's Medical with DUI

But we too live in Scotland and are having a hell of a time with the MMR. Hubby didn't get the booster when he was down for his medical because he had it 5 years ago in the Military. Unfortunately his military vaccination records have gone missing so we cant prove this.

We tried to get a titre test down in Inverness, but was told that the majority of Scotland only test for Measle and Rubella, not Mumps. Just thought I would mention this so you can check in your area.... My nurse did say she believes the bigger cities, ie Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen may test for all 3.

My advice would be, get whatever vaccinations you may need at the medical. It saves alot of hassle and you know that you are completely covered by what the Embassy requires.

Last edited by MrsWaring; Sep 6th 2012 at 7:37 am. Reason: add more info
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi there ,yes my husband phoned the surgery to request the MMR but he just had to fill out a form and wait for a call back.The MMR was listed on the form but to be honest it does not make much difference if he gets it done here (Edinburgh) or at his medical in London as he has to pay regardless of where he goes.We don't know yet if he will have the same problems you have experienced.I grew up in the Highlands so i know how limited resources can be! I hope you can find a way to get this sorted out,you may have to find a surgery out of your area who can help? Our surgery charges £30 for the MMR
Keep me posted!
Ella
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

The problem we have with getting the MMR on the NHS is that we have informed them previously that my husband had an MMR about 5 years ago. So they will not do it even if we pay for it. (they say its against their judgement as he may already be immuned)

We have been in talks with Knightsbridge and they have emailed the Embassy asking for them to book our interview ASAP so that my husband can go to Knightsbridge the day before to get the MMR. Knightsbridge says the Embassy does this regularly for people who need to go back to Knightsbridge but live quite a distance from London.

Now its just a waiting game for the interview date to come through.. I will keep you posted though.

We now wish that he had just gone ahead and had the MMR while he was down for his medical. He got his tetnus while he was there. But it may work in our favour if we end up with an earlier interview date than we would have gotten lol
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok that makes it harder if he has already had the MMR,and hard to prove without records.Hopefully it will get sorted out ,it will be fantastic if you manage to get your interview earlier,what a hassle it is to sort out these visas lol,i am a nervous wreck that we will go to London for the interview and forget an important paper. When you are hours away from London,it's so expensive to get there ,more so for you!! Roll on end of the year,or fast-forward should i say!!!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I completely understand what you are saying about paperwork. I went over all my hubby's paperwork for his medical with him about 6 times. I also told him as many times that I had put his passport pic inside his passport to keep it safe. He got there and the nurse asked for a passport pic and he completely forgot what I had said and had to go find a passport pic booth. He ended up payin £7 for something he didn't need lol.

But hey ho you live and learn!! When is your hubby's medical? I will keep my fingers crossed that it goes alot more smoothly for you both lol
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Uh Oh your husband sounds just like mine,i could just see him doing the same thing lol.I am going to London too,seeing as i am off work that day,so hopefully no more photo's needed!.He has plenty of those as lost the first batch he had done for the police certificate,got more done and found the old ones!!.Soooo no more photo's needed until these are too old!!
His appt is Thur 13th,a week today ...
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have TONS of passport photos for him, both Ameican and British size ones... I should have gone with him, but we have two young sons and thought it best if I just go down with him for the interview part.

Let us know how his medical goes next week!! and Ill keep you posted on when an interview date finally comes through!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.