Reload this Page >

No I-797 after 6 weeks! Help!

No I-797 after 6 weeks! Help!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No I-797 after 6 weeks! Help!

Hi everyone,

I sent my I-751 petition to remove the conditions on my residency to the VSC 6 weeks ago and still have not received a receipt notice/ extension on my greencard.

The check I sent for the $200 fee was cashed on March 16th and I received the return receipt so I know they have my petition. I called the National "Dis" Information line on Monday and the guy just told me to keep waiting. Problem is that my greencard expires in a week and I have a strong feeling the receipt notice is not on it's way. I know these things are usually sent within a couple weeks for VSC and feel mine has been lost in the cracks somewhere.

Anyway, I am going to call again tomorrow and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this? Should I ask to speak to a supervisor? Do they let you do that? The other guy told me that if I don't get it in the next week I can go to the local office and get a stamp but that's easy for him to say, not so easy for me to do. I'd rather avoid having to do that. Does Vermont have a customer service phone number? I can't find one.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No I-797 after 6 weeks! Help!

Originally Posted by desusa
Hi everyone,

I sent my I-751 petition to remove the conditions on my residency to the VSC 6 weeks ago and still have not received a receipt notice/ extension on my greencard.

The check I sent for the $200 fee was cashed on March 16th and I received the return receipt so I know they have my petition. I called the National "Dis" Information line on Monday and the guy just told me to keep waiting. Problem is that my greencard expires in a week and I have a strong feeling the receipt notice is not on it's way. I know these things are usually sent within a couple weeks for VSC and feel mine has been lost in the cracks somewhere.

Anyway, I am going to call again tomorrow and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this? Should I ask to speak to a supervisor? Do they let you do that? The other guy told me that if I don't get it in the next week I can go to the local office and get a stamp but that's easy for him to say, not so easy for me to do. I'd rather avoid having to do that. Does Vermont have a customer service phone number? I can't find one.

Any suggestions?
Hi desusa,

I've never seen a contact phone number for any of the service centers for us laymen. Unfortunately, it's always referred to the 800 misinformation line.

From what I've seen, the advice you got is correct, and you can go into your local office to get another stamp - bring proof that you've submitted the I-751. But if you're not going to travel outside the USA, you really don't need it...just keep waiting. Your status doesn't expire, only the stamp does.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:49 pm
Uprooted Canuck

StuartMI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No I-797 after 6 weeks! Help!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi desusa,

I've never seen a contact phone number for any of the service centers for us laymen. Unfortunately, it's always referred to the 800 misinformation line.

From what I've seen, the advice you got is correct, and you can go into your local office to get another stamp - bring proof that you've submitted the I-751. But if you're not going to travel outside the USA, you really don't need it...just keep waiting. Your status doesn't expire, only the stamp does.

Best Wishes,
Rene
I actually stumbled across a phone number to the NSC that does still work however it's apparantly only for district offices to call and ask questions. When I started talking to her she was really nice but oh boy, as soon as she found out I was "John Q. Public" did she ever get pissed off!