Reload this Page >

Newbie - please be gentle.

Wikiposts

Newbie - please be gentle.

Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

S.Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie - please be gentle.

Please forgive me if I ask the most basic of stupid questions, but I have some queries I could do with some help with. I met a girl and I want to leave the UK to live in California for good. Naturally, marriage is a given.

1) How do I go about getting the ball rolling on the UK side of the Atlantic? Do I need a solicitor or anything?

2) How would I take/transfer any monies I have?

I realise these questions will probably have been answered over and over, but this forum, to a newbie, is a bit daunting.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:42 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - please be gentle.

Do a bloody search lol

Should've posted this in marriage based visas.

Basically she has to get the ball rolling her side. I can't remember what form it is she has to file right now though. Someone will come along and tell you or you can search the USCIS website.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

S.Cook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sime303
Do a bloody search lol

Should've posted this in married based immigration.

Basically she has to get the ball rolling her side. I can't remember what form it is she has to file right now though. Someone will come along and tell you or you can search the USCIS website.

I'm wading through it as best as I can, but it's daunting - there's so much to read!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends: is she hot?

Hair color. Height. Weight, proportional to height? Inside leg measurement.
Does she put out?
All these will have a bearing on whether a visa can be issued.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:44 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Start by reading this:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/fiance.html

Also, as said above, use the 'search'. Type in K1 (fiance visa) or I-129F and look for threads. Many questions have been posted from people in similar situations so you will probably find some answers on previous threads.

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Cook
Please forgive me if I ask the most basic of stupid questions, but I have some queries I could do with some help with. I met a girl and I want to leave the UK to live in California for good. Naturally, marriage is a given.

1) How do I go about getting the ball rolling on the UK side of the Atlantic? Do I need a solicitor or anything?

I realise these questions will probably have been answered over and over, but this forum, to a newbie, is a bit daunting.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
2 basic choices:

1) Get married somewhere then you return to the UK while the "spousal visa" (CR-1) processes. You will not be able to reside in the US for about 9 months after marriage.

If she comes to the UK for marriage she will need a UK fiance visa for that - she can't get married on the VWP. If you go to the US you can get married on the US VWP as long as you leave before your 90 days is up.

2) Get a fiance visa (K1). You travel to the US and get married within 90 days, then apply for adjustment of status (AOS). You will not be able to reside in the US for about 9 months before your visa is granted.

Comparison:

Length of time is about the same. Method 1 is cheaper. Method 1 allows you to live, work and travel from day one upon entering the US, the paperwork is all done before you enter the US. Method 2 requires you to adjust status, and you have to get work authorisation etc and possibly advance parole if you want to travel outside of the country before your AOS completes.

Generally, method one is considered superior due to the lower costs and less hassle.

With both methods, you can visit the US on the VWP while your application is processing, but you must have on your person proof of strong ties to the UK, to prove that you will not overstay the 90 days, such as property rental agreement, letter from employer stating the date of your expected return to work etc.

If you don't have a crimnal record, you will be able to do it yourself with assistance from forums like this one and VisaJourney.

~~~~~

Transferring money:

Open a bank account in the US (quite difficult from the UK, you may need a trip over there, or you can open a US-based account at branches of Wells Fargo or Wachovia in London if you can get there easy enough). You just do a wire transfer using a dedicated foreign exchange agent such as UKForex or XEtrade. You send pounds and the dollarz get put in your US account. Don't use your bank to send the money as they will charge you much more for the privelege.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Aug 28th 2008 at 10:22 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

As above, get married.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Basically to start you do nothing ..it down to her

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Basically to start you do nothing ..it down to her
Well, he could propose to her, if he hasn't already.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Good answer from Britishguy36 if you're talking about a lot of money. If it's not a lot, how about getting a bank draft and carrying it with you?

BTW, many on here recommend keeping at least one UK bank account open if you can.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the USC who gets the ball rolling first. If you are unmarried and want to do a fiance visa (and you have met in person within the past 2 years), she starts by filing an I-129F form.

If you want to do a spouse visa, then you'll have to get married first (doesn't matter where), then she will file an I-130 form.

She eventually needs to meet the requirements for the Affidavit of Support (form I-864) for either method, so that's a very important one to look at also.

All the forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

squentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's the USC who gets the ball rolling first. If you are unmarried and want to do a fiance visa (and you have met in person within the past 2 years), she starts by filing an I-129F form.

If you want to do a spouse visa, then you'll have to get married first (doesn't matter where), then she will file an I-130 form.

She eventually needs to meet the requirements for the Affidavit of Support (form I-864) for either method, so that's a very important one to look at also.

All the forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

Best Wishes,
Rene
I suggest reading all the papers currently required for all the steps you will be doing. There are some odd little twists in the process and quirky contracts involved in the entire process. This will assist with blunders and stumbling blocks further along. Previous poster said "All the forms are available..." and I'll add with emphasis, "READ ALL the papers"..both of you.
What's really irritating is sometimes as we approach the next -checkpoint- they change the rules just a little to mess us up! Don't be discouraged.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squentna
There are some odd little twists in the process and quirky contracts involved in the entire process.
What are they?

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:07 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squentna
What's really irritating is sometimes as we approach the next -checkpoint- they change the rules just a little to mess us up! Don't be discouraged.
Actually it's quite straight forward for the OP (if they get married or go via the fiancé visa) as was posted by BritishGuy36 - nothing to get 'discouraged' about at all as far as I can see.

As for them 'changing the rules just to mess us up' ..

To the OP : just decide on which path (spousal or fiancé ) that works best for your particular situation and circumstances and proceed from there

BTW - Welcome to the board!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sime303
Do a bloody search lol

Should've posted this in marriage based visas.

He did post in Marriage Based Visas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.