Newark Walk-in Advance Parole?

Newark Walk-in Advance Parole?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

BazzaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Newark Walk-in Advance Parole?

Hello all,

I need some help! (who doesn't?)

I came to the US on a K-1 visa, got married and I am now pending AOS.
The receipt for my AOS application from Newark (dated December 16th 2003) says about applying for AP "It is a walk-in application which cannot be submitted by mail".

Now, from reading in various places a few months ago it seemed that at Newark you should do the walk-in for AP within 3 weeks of your intended departure or else you would get turned away.

I also heard somewhere that the Cherry Hill sub-office had done walk-in AP in the past so I thought I would give them a try first since it's close to where I live.

Went to Cherry Hill office today and was told I had to mail the application to Newark, I showed the woman my receipt which says it cannot be submitted by mail but she wasn't interested.

So now I'm a bit worried because on the USCIS website it says AP applications should be mailed-in so I don't know if I can even go to Newark and get them to do it.

My wife and I are supposed to be travelling on Friday 27th August 2004! Next Friday! The tickets to England are already paid for, we're supposed to be going back for a friends wedding (I'm supposed to be an usher/groomsman).

I want to go to Newark and try and file there but this new Infopass thing won't let me setup an appointment at Newark, it keeps bringing up Cherry Hill.

If anyone has any advice or recent experience applying for walk-in AP at Newark I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks,
Barry
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Newark Walk-in Advance Parole?

Anyone, please?
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BazzaB
Anyone, please?

Then make an appointment Cherry Hill for tomorrow if at all possible. If you can't do that than you will have to get your arse out of bed by 2 in the morning and be waiting at the Newark office doors by 4 the latest. If you can get through the doors armed with your I-131, pictures, plane tickets, etc. you stand a chance of at least having someone talk with you. Why did you leave this so close to your departure date?

Good Luck
Old Aug 21st 2004, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Then make an appointment Cherry Hill for tomorrow if at all possible. If you can't do that than you will have to get your arse out of bed by 2 in the morning and be waiting at the Newark office doors by 4 the latest. If you can get through the doors armed with your I-131, pictures, plane tickets, etc. you stand a chance of at least having someone talk with you. Why did you leave this so close to your departure date?

Good Luck
Thanks for the advice!
I've already tried Cherry Hill and they said they would only do it there if it were an emergency, which this is not.
I left it so close to the departure date because on my AOS application receipt it said that AP could not be submitted by mail and that it was walk-in only. So I was under the impression that I could just go there and get it, no big deal.
From reading through some of the posts here it looks like since I got that letter Newark changed its procedures and now forward AP applications to the NBC for processing.

I'm considering going to Newark to see if they'll do it, I was just hoping someone might have some recent experience of doing so.

I guess there's a lesson here somewhere about keeping up to date on filing procedures so you don't get caught out like I did!

Anyway, I just don't know how I'm going to tell my family and the bride & groom that I won't be able to make it. It's going to be a big let down and I guess it's my fault for not double-checking the filing procedures online months ago.

So if anyone has recent Newark AP experience (good or bad) please let me know!

Thank you!

p.s. if I do go to Newark I can't take the plane tickets - they're e-tickets... is a print-out of the itinerary good enough?

Last edited by BazzaB; Aug 21st 2004 at 10:26 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Not exactly walk-in AP experience, but I went to Newark in February to get an EAD (based on K1, not a slow I-765 submission). There is a lot of standing around in queues but they did give me the card (took all day). They only see a cerain number of people each day (I arrived before 9:30am and was one of the last 20 or so allowed in for the day), but there were people there getting APs, and from brief conversations with them they seemed to have just walked in with the application, rather than having pre-set appointments. Might be worth a try. note that they only see walk-ins on certain days - I think their phone number is on the USCIS website somewhere, and the recorded message gives the details of which days they see people.

Hope that helps
Alistair
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:56 am
User1

Newark accepts walk-ins Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri the last time I checked, early July
2004. Was going to go for EAD by renewal based on K1 but made an Infopass
appointment instead. Do you know if EAD renewal can be done at the time of
Infopass appointment, or is a separate walk-in procedure required? The EAD
was e-filed in March 2004 and is already past the 90 day mark. Figure we'd
take a chance with the Infopass or do a walk-in if required.

So it looks like you don't have to be there at 10 PM the night before like
the NYC EAD walk-in?

"Alistair" <member18898@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hi. Not exactly walk-in AP experience, but I went to Newark in Februa-
    > ry to get an EAD (based on K1, not a slow I-765 submission). There is
    > a lot of standing around in queues but they did give me the card (took
    > all day). They only see a cerain number of people each day (I arrived
    > before 9:30am and was one of the last 20 or so allowed in for the day),
    > but there were people there getting APs, and from brief conversations
    > with them they seemed to have just walked in with the application, rath-
    > er than having pre-set appointments. Might be worth a try. note that
    > they only see walk-ins on certain days - I think their phone number is
    > on the USCIS website somewhere, and the recorded message gives the deta-
    > ils of which days they see people.
    > Hope that helps
    > Alistair
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also the USCIS website says as of August 18, 2004 Newark is part of the Infopass System.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

buffalo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BazzaB
Thanks for the advice!
From reading through some of the posts here it looks like since I got that letter Newark changed its procedures and now forward AP applications to the NBC for processing.

I'm considering going to Newark to see if they'll do it, I was just hoping someone might have some recent experience of doing so.
Hi there, I don't have personal experience with Newark, sorry, but I hate to say that there's probably nothing they can do unless it's an emergency. When we inquired about our applications at our local office, they seemed sympathetic, but said they really can't do anything about it since they'd be interfering with the NBC processing.

I'm sorry. I know it sucks when you're counting on something and then it's changed. Hope you can work it out somehow.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by buffalo24
Hi there, I don't have personal experience with Newark, sorry, but I hate to say that there's probably nothing they can do unless it's an emergency. When we inquired about our applications at our local office, they seemed sympathetic, but said they really can't do anything about it since they'd be interfering with the NBC processing.

I'm sorry. I know it sucks when you're counting on something and then it's changed. Hope you can work it out somehow.
ANd i am sure I saw a post from someone who did have a legit Emergancy and there was still nothing that could be done as it was now down to NBC and they do not seem to recognise time issues.