Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New VWP + AOS information/discussion

New VWP + AOS information/discussion

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in the US whilst the K3 visa is in progress

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Periodic check-in, ankle bracelets, phone-in from particular land-line to particular phone number which has voice recognition software, dire restrictions on travel, don't work -- things like that.
Just curious still, unless you'd rather not say - why did the unfortunate poster change this issue from 10-foot-pole to freely discussed?

Secondly, does this have a wider implication - we have always been saying "overstays are generally forgiven for spouses of USCs" - do you expect that this might no longer be the case?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

There is a legal reason for what they did -- she overstayed the 90-day VWP admission. Period end of story.
So you now have to do the dirty deed and file AOS within the 90 days to be safe(r) is my reading of your cited case.

Is there any word of them starting mass deportations in the 9th circuit on this triumphal decision?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New VWP + AOS information/discussion

This thread was split from the original discussion here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556794
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:43 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Lay people can understand the law. However, it pays to remember the Dark Forces of DHS are not, repeat not, lawyers. And they read it as justification to do what they want and resent cases which limit their authority. So if they will broadly interpret cases which say they have authority and look for loopholes and narrow interpretation of cases which don't go their way. Failing that, they ignore the law under the rubric of interpretation -- [e.g. "A rose is an african violet."]
On reading case law, I'll admit that it can be difficult -- but that is what 80% of a three year law school education is -- learning how to read those cases while "thinking like a lawyer."

4 and 9 is a joke. You are in the Fourth Circuit, which is the most deferential circuit in the country while the 9th is the least deferential to the government position.

"Discretion" is a mighty word. Janet Reno exercised her "discretion" to prohibit any "arriving alien in proceedings" to be ineligible for AOS. The 1st & 9th [in my Bona case] said the regulation failed under "Chevron, Step 1" analysis, the 3rd and 11th said it failed under "Chevron, Step 2" while the 5th and 8th said fine and dandy. Before the Supremes got into the act, DHS and DOJ issued joint regulations saying that arriving aliens could adjust as long as they went to the agency other than the one they applied to. [The ghost of Joseph Heller works for the government]. Litigation is ungoing. I had TWO clients arrested out of interviews on that one. In other words, the Dark Forces don't care. [BTW, both clients are still here under the Orders of Supervision from Hell, but they are still here].

In reading cases, discerning obiter dicta is tricky and difficult, even for a lawyer.

Bottom line -- DHS often has the power to be as mean or nice as they want. And Congress has stripped the courts of review powers on that.
It would seem that immigration law is surely one of THE most complicated areas to engage in. Not only is it politically charged, constantly changing and open to both the broadest AND narrowest definitions (seemingly at the same time) BUT it is also dealing with a govt body that relies in the first instance on almost infallible power with a 'holding position' of discretionary interpretation. Talk about a 'stacked deck'!

Am I right in understanding what you said :
In reading cases, discerning obiter dicta is tricky and difficult, even for a lawyer. to mean that the opinions expressed in Momeni are not so much legal determinates of why that decision was reached (and hence easily transferable / applied to other similar cases) rather they are (google is my friend ) remarks of a judge which are not necessary to reaching a decision, but are made as comments, illustrations or thoughts. ? In which case although SOME local offices might try and run with this fundamentally the Momeni case doesn't change the terrain ?

Also, in practical terms do you think the Momeni decision will feature in the advice given by lawyers ( in the privacy of their offices) to couples who are seeking a marriage-based aos from the VWP ? I ask this because prior to this decision (and indeed YB1's account of their experience) like Tracym states the general understanding of a lot of people on this and other boards is that overstays are 'forgiven' once married to a USC. I too am curious as to whether you expect that will change.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So you now have to do the dirty deed and file AOS within the 90 days to be safe(r) is my reading of your cited case.

Is there any word of them starting mass deportations in the 9th circuit on this triumphal decision?
But the other poster DID do everything in the 90 days, and was still deported.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:52 pm
YB1
Just Joined

YB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracym
But the other poster DID do everything in the 90 days, and was still deported.
No I didn't, as i said in my original post, my lawyer advised no need to file within the 90 days. So we filed just after ie. end of Jan.

The important date, regarding AOS, is the date of adjudication (ie for me the green card interview date) - and you will NEVER get an interview within 90 days of applying!

See Folinskyinla's previous comment:
"It is almost axiomatic that an adjustment application is a "continuing" application -- that means that the final adjudication is done on the law at the time of adjudication, not the date of filing."
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by YB1
No I didn't, as i said in my original post, my lawyer advised no need to file within the 90 days. So we filed just after ie. end of Jan.

The important date, regarding AOS, is the date of adjudication (ie for me the green card interview date) - and you will NEVER get an interview within 90 days of applying!

See Folinskyinla's previous comment:
"It is almost axiomatic that an adjustment application is a "continuing" application -- that means that the final adjudication is done on the law at the time of adjudication, not the date of filing."
Sorry, my mistake - I remembered incorrectly.

But apparently in your case, it would not have mattered.

If they aren't going to allowe adjustment from VWP period, they should just say so imo, as it used to be perfectly legal to do what you attempted as far as I know.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, my mistake - I remembered incorrectly.

But apparently in your case, it would not have mattered.
It's still not clear. But presumably she was deported because of the Momemi ruling, i.e. she should have filed within the 90 days. And she was using the good advice of a lawyer!

If they aren't going to allowe adjustment from VWP period, they should just say so imo, as it used to be perfectly legal to do what you attempted as far as I know.
The solution to the problem is easy: provide a K1 or K3 within 30 days of application and then there's no excuse for doing otherwise! The UK, AFAIK, does not allow a VWP express -- however, you'll have a suitable visa within a couple of weeks of applying.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's still not clear. But presumably she was deported because of the Momemi ruling, i.e. she should have filed within the 90 days. And she was using the good advice of a lawyer!

The solution to the problem is easy: provide a K1 or K3 within 30 days of application and then there's no excuse for doing otherwise! The UK, AFAIK, does not allow a VWP express -- however, you'll have a suitable visa within a couple of weeks of applying.
You're probably right on the not clear bit. But I really wonder, as that case states a conflict inherent in adjusting on the VWP ("on time" or not) - I wonder if they are trying to use that ruling to eliminate adjusting from the VWP in all cases.

While I agree, it would be better if it moved faster - I think the other two issues are separate.

Either allow adjustment from the VWP or not - probably not, imo.
No excuse for trying to circumvent it anyway imo - if you need to wait, you need to wait. I certainly did.

That said, it would be desirable to try to speed up the process. Given govt. effeciency, I wouldn't hold my breath however. (Although, so far I have been extremely lucky with the immigration stuff, I personally really can't complain about speed or anything else)
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:34 pm
Septicity

Either allow adjustment from the VWP or not - probably not, imo.
No excuse for trying to circumvent it anyway imo - if you need to wait, you need to wait. I certainly did.

That said, it would be desirable to try to speed up the process. Given govt. effeciency, I wouldn't hold my breath however. (Although, so far I have been extremely lucky with the immigration stuff, I personally really can't complain about speed or anything else)
I really don't get this weird thought process along the lines of: if I had a hard time with it, you should also. This alongside an inability to compare our performance with other countries.

Sometimes I despair of my fellow Americans' acquiescence to maintain the status quo. A little revolutionary fervor might prevent is slipping further into the quagmire.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I really don't get this weird thought process along the lines of: if I had a hard time with it, you should also. This alongside an inability to compare our performance with other countries.

Sometimes I despair of my fellow Americans' acquiescence to maintain the status quo. A little revolutionary fervor might prevent is slipping further into the quagmire.
Don't be ridiculous - I said I had a very easy time with it.

My point was that I followed the law, and others need to also - impatience is not a good enough reason imo to try to circumvent the law.

If you don't like the law - by all means, try to change it. Try to make the govt go faster... I'll wish you good luck with that though Let me know how it goes - although blue and purple are my favourite colors, I won't be holding my breath in the meantime however.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:48 pm
Septicity

Don't be ridiculous - I said I had a very easy time with it.

My point was that I followed the law, and others need to also - impatience is not a good enough reason imo to try to circumvent the law.

If you don't like the law - by all means, try to change it. Try to make the govt go faster... I'll wish you good luck with that though Let me know how it goes - although blue and purple are my favourite colors, I won't be holding my breath in the meantime however.
If you think 9 months (or whatever it took) is a reasonable wait time for a K1, so be it. What would an unreasonable wait time be?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I have to repeat myself I guess: the holding of Momemi is simply that there is no right of review of the expedited removal in habeas corpus. Period. Likewise, in Freeman, it was the I-130 and the I-485 which came up before the court -- all the court ruled is that the I-130 was approvable based upon the stated facts and that the concomitant I-485 had to be ruled on. DHS later approved the I-130 but denied the I-485 which the Court later approved of.

Quite frankly, although I liked the result of Freeman when it came out, I personally felt it was legally deficient and would be of limited utility -- and sad to say, I was right. Also, a lot of alien-favorable law in the 9th [and alien-unfavorable law in the 5th] will now be subject to further review under a Supreme Court internet case from a couple years back called Brand X . In fact, the effect of Brand X is now one of those hot and sexy issues under discussion and litigation [and actually dispute within the immigration bar regarding offensive use of Brand X. But I digress.]

In hindsight, perhaps a quick declaratory relief filing accompanied by request for a TRO might have kept our unfortunate friend here. However, a TRO simply preserves the status quo -- DHS could have continued to detain her but keep her off the plane. She would have then had the choice of being in jail in the US or walking the streets back home. [I have had clients give up on strong appeals for that reason, or simply because CIS won't give work authorization. Many people call this "blackmail".].
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you think 9 months (or whatever it took) is a reasonable wait time for a K1, so be it. What would an unreasonable wait time be?
Actually, our K-1 stuff took about 5-6 months (with one delay in the middle, our choice). So we planned in advance, and actually got it just when we wanted it.

What I was referring to re. ourselves was the extremely quick and painless AOS - we got the EAD and AP in about 1 month, AOS without interview in 3. So that seems just fine to me. Obviously though, not everyone is nearly as lucky.

I have no idea what a reasonable K1 time would be - 3-4 months if you made me take a guess. If you're going to be married, generally people plan their wedding at least that long. And if you can't wait a few months...

For most Americans, however, making the immigrants be able to come over faster is probably not a high priority though - so I'm not holding my breath for this to change quickly.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

This is a classic "political" question -- the whole issue goes back to a statute enacted by Congress -- and Congress can change it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.