Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New to the site, advice needed

Wikiposts

New to the site, advice needed

Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site, advice needed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, I'd be curious why a UKC would be coming over for Thanksgiving.
I think you have a somewhat more worldly view than your average CBP drone, though.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I think you have a somewhat more worldly view than your average CBP drone, though.
ooh, are you flirting with me?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

A good way to improve your odds on the VWP is to stay for short visits, <1 month. An established pattern of visiting for a couple of weeks every couple of months actually looks good and will work in your favour.

Immigration through marriage isn't cheap as chips, but nor is jetting back and forth for visits. If you go the CR-1 route it might work out to the cost of three round trip flights. The wedding itself can be very cheap, and you can have a fancy ceremony later when you can afford it.

Do finish university!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, are you flirting with me?
Did the earth move?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:08 am
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sharron_
I came over to the US every 3 months and usually for a month at a time....when my husband and I were dating. Yes I got asked alot of questions, but they never refused me entry. Although I was honest and never lied.

I could be wrong, but if you fly to the US via Dublin you clear immigration in Dublin (someone may want to clarify that). But I think I remember going through immigration there once and at least if they are going to deny you entry...it will happen closer to home and you won't have a long flight back!.

Make sure you finish University. That's my advice.
Thanks Sharron. Must say that makes me feel more confident at least!

Yeah I have graduated from University. Got my Bachelor of Arts degree.

Last edited by charman57; Sep 6th 2009 at 7:10 am.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Charman, you'll be fine as long as your visits aren't for long extended periods, the advice already given in this thread is good, (apart from marrying and staying in the US on the VWP, not such a great plan)

Howz about, a wee proposal at Thanksgiving, she comes over at Christmas or New Year for a visit to the UK, then, after your proposal you apply for the K1 visa which should be through by summer 2010 and then the wedding, problem solved.
Let me know when I need to buy a hat for the big day
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Charman, you'll be fine as long as your visits aren't for long extended periods, the advice already given in this thread is good, (apart from marrying and staying in the US on the VWP, not such a great plan)

Howz about, a wee proposal at Thanksgiving, she comes over at Christmas or New Year for a visit to the UK, then, after your proposal you apply for the K1 visa which should be through by summer 2010 and then the wedding, problem solved.
Let me know when I need to buy a hat for the big day
Haha, for that nugget of help you are definitely invited! Actually, hell with it, *YOU ALL ARE!

(*) You may not be invited when the time comes
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, Its been a long time since I last posted on this thread...

I've been offered an Internship in NY. It seems pretty spot on, doing what I want to be doing, which always helps. The only downside is it's unpaid. Now my accommodation wouldn't be a problem as I can stay at my GF's place, but traveling to and from the Internship would obviously cost me a fair bit.

So I am therefore wondering if I would be able to go over there for this Internship primarily but then get some sort of bartender/waiter job part time, just to get some money coming in?

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charman57
... but then get some sort of bartender/waiter job part time, just to get some money coming in?
No... well, not legally anyway!

Ian