Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New to the site, advice needed

New to the site, advice needed

Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice
Question New to the site, advice needed

Ive been reading the message board for some time now trying to find much needed info and I have to say it's a great place to visit and check out other peoples situations. But now the time has come for me to get an account and start talking.

So here's the deal...

Im English born and bred, and have been a University student for the past 3 years. In the first summer break (2007) I went to work at Walt Disney World, Florida on an International College Program (J1 summer Visa) from June to September. I can easily say these were the best 3 months of my life so far. I met some great people from all around the world, one of them being an American girl I worked with (you can see where this is going).

2 years later we are still doing the long distance thing. Every holiday has been spent with either me going to New York to stay with her family (I'm actually there now as I type) and her coming to England to stay with my family. I also returned to Walt Disney World the following Summer to do the same program again.

Now we've reached the telling point. I graduated in July with a BA degree and she will be finishing college next summer. I am now having to look for jobs and would love to live and work here in the US after falling in love with everything about the country.

Dream scenario would be for a big American company to drag me into their office and tell me I have a place there for life. Unfortunately there's more chance of a pig flying past each of your windows in the next 5 minutes.

Other info:

22 years old
Typical student debt
Clean criminal record
Have had 2 J1 Summer Visa's

So thats pretty much the situation as it stands. Where do I go from here? I have a feeling I will be seeing the M word in a lot of the replies.

Thanks for your time
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site, advice needed

Hi Charman, Welcome to BE.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. It gives you all the ways into the USA. See if you fall into any of those categories.

If you don't see yourself fitting into any of those categories, then yes....the M word will be pretty much your only option.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charman57
Dream scenario would be for a big American company to drag me into their office and tell me I have a place there for life.
Realistically speaking... the easiest and most straight-forward method for living/working in the US would be to marry the girl.

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:06 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you don't see yourself fitting into any of those categories, then yes....the M word will be pretty much your only option.
Mmmmm! I agree.

Let me observe, however, that a longer-term J might be possible, if you have an appropriate sponsor.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a BUNAC J-1 for recent graduates? I think I read someone here this AM talking about an 18 month one they had.

User hobbes79 also had a good J-1 experience. I'll see if he can add his story.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Isn't there a BUNAC J-1 for recent graduates? I think I read someone here this AM talking about an 18 month one they had.

User hobbes79 also had a good J-1 experience. I'll see if he can add his story.
I'm back

Yeah, I did get an 18-month J1 which I was eligible for as a recent graduate (in a near identical situation to the OP, in as far as I was trying to get to be with an American girl without quite taking the plunge).

And it was arranged through BUNCAC.

Having said that, I don't know if that's still available.

My refined story of US immigration is:

1. Came over for 12-month internship in '01
2. Was offered full time job and got H-1B visa
3. Married in '04 and got greencard
5. Planning to naturalize this year

Best of luck
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, here's something on some random website I found with google:

http://www.h1bvisalawyerblog.com/j1_visa/

On June 20, 2008, the Department of State (DOS) revised its regulations governing J-1 visas by publishing the final rulein the Federal Register. The rule creates a new “Student Interns” subcategory to the College and University Student J-1 visa category. Foreign students enrolled and pursuing a degree at post-secondary academic institutions outside of the United States may participate in this category for up to 12 months at each degree level. DATES: This Final Rule will be effective July 21, 2008.

This new rule will make it possible for private sector organizations to offer internships to individuals with less training and experience than had previously been required of J-1 ``trainee'' category participants. To be eligible as an intern in a private sector program, foreign nationals must be currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at an academic institution or a recent graduate (i.e., within 12 months) from such institution. As an intern, the intern program participant will enter the United States to pursue a structured and guided work-based internship program in his or her specific academic field. Prior work experience is nor a requirement for participation in this program.

Certainly worth looking into more.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies. They are very helpful and I must admit, more positive than I expected!

I knew marriage would be the obvious and straightforward choice. But would just like to hold back on that option for now and see if there's any other way first of all.

The 12 month internship visa is a great option. Problem is finding a company that will hire an International at the moment. Just my luck the World goes into meltdown the year I graduate!

I think this message board will become very useful for me.

Oh and glad it all worked out well for you hobbes
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies. They are very helpful and I must admit, more positive than I expected!

I knew marriage would be the obvious and straightforward choice. But would just like to hold back on that option for now and see if there's any other way first of all.

The 12 month internship visa is a great option. Problem is finding a company that will hire an International at the moment. Just my luck the World goes into meltdown the year I graduate!

I think this message board will become very useful for me.

Oh and glad it all worked out well for you hobbes
The advantage of the J1 is that you can pay for it yourself. Unlike the H-1B, your employer doesn't need to the sponsor. So *theoretically*, if you are going for a 12-month internship, you are no less or more desirable than an American going for the same position. The effort on the part of the employer would be the same.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbes79
The advantage of the J1 is that you can pay for it yourself. Unlike the H-1B, your employer doesn't need to the sponsor. So *theoretically*, if you are going for a 12-month internship, you are no less or more desirable than an American going for the same position. The effort on the part of the employer would be the same.
Just out of interest where did you get a 12 month Internship? What were you doing?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just out of interest where did you get a 12 month Internship? What were you doing?
I was a Reliability Engineer Intern for Nokia in Dallas.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was a Reliability Engineer Intern for Nokia in Dallas.
So I have you to thank for my ever-faithful brick.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
So I have you to thank for my ever-faithful brick.
Quite possibly. I used to put hundreds of phones through "Drop Testing", which is about as scientific as it sounds
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:37 pm

Quite possibly. I used to put hundreds of phones through "Drop Testing", which is about as scientific as it sounds
I have been keeping up the testing for you! My screen has a 'floater' though, which is getting annoying.
Not as annoying as getting a new phone though.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Charman, Welcome to BE.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. It gives you all the ways into the USA. See if you fall into any of those categories.

Best Wishes,
Rene
"Marriage or engagement in anticipation of marriage to a US citizen. Immigrant or dual-intent visa. Search for: K1, CR-1, K3, direct consular filing (DCF), I-130 petition, Adjustment of Status (AOS)."

So you can apply for a Visa on the basis of you being engaged with the anticipation of marriage? ...Isn't every engagement with the anticipation of marriage?.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.