Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New Orleans-Alive and kicking

New Orleans-Alive and kicking

Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Orleans-Alive and kicking

Just got back from a trip to New Orleans-their visitor and convention bureau was offering deals to travel agents to come and see that the city is still alive and to spread the word to the rest of the world.
The last time I was there was almost 9 years ago for the same reason, stayed in a different hotel and did almost all different things except for the river boat cruise. That was different this time, because interspersed with the history, there was much commentary on the before and after Katrina along the river-plus I didn't realize that there was one whole area-Algiers is the name that wasn't even touched.
I guess I'm too old to appreciate Bourbon Street these days so my experience there, this time, was limited to walking along it to get to a "ghost" tour that met there (far from the madding crowd). However, I noticed that the bar, the Famous Door (where I was introduced to Hurricanes-the drink) is still going strong. My son had advised me to try a concoction called the Hand Grenade :scared: which is only served at one bar on Bourbon Street, but I took a pass this time.
The French Quarter as you probably know was not hit by Katrina, so very little damage, except financially. I talked at length to several folks-a bar tender, a store owner, a tour guide and even someone from the Army Corps of Engineers. This was all informal and unsolicted. They ARE hurting there, business IS down and the feeling is that this is in no small part the fault of the media. My own mother was kinda anxious about us going there, mentioning lawlessness etc. Her last conversation with me before we went was to tell me that they had a drive by shooting, I replied that we had them here as well so nothing new. Along those lines, I DID ask at the hotel we stayed at (HIGHLY recommended btw) if there were any areas to stay away from and they said that yes, you simply did not go further than this street or that street at night. Since we didn't rent a car, and only intended to use a taxi to get transport from and to the airport, that wasn't difficult.
The Superdome opens 25 September (I know because they had a huge sign on top of the roof proclaiming that fact) and the St Charles streetcar line is still not operating. The bus service is pretty spotty as well.
Back to the businesses-they are operating on reduced operating hours or even days, due to the lack of trade AND help. Some places still have not reopened. Several of the people I talked to had been left homeless, and these were NOT people who lived in the infamous Ninth Ward, (one had lived in a 400K neighborhood, but 11 feet of water in your house is a bit of an equalizer). It is in some parts, very reminiscent of the devastation that I saw in the former Yugoslavia back in 1996.
I got a kick out of the tee shirts offered-such as "Katrina evacuation plan-RUN Moth******er RUN" Or "I survived Katrina and all I got was this lousy tee shirt, a plasma TV and a luxury car." Lastly, was "FEMA-Fix Everything MY A** ".
I like New Orleans-and I can't wait to go back. Except for one thing-FIRST I have to lose the 10 pounds I gained there on the food, which was and still is fabulous.
It is a place like no other, and for that reason I cherish it.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Orleans-Alive and kicking

pleased you had a good time in nawlins...a 6hr drive from here we'd often go for a long weekend however since Katrina we've not been and miss the place. maybe in the fall we'll head back....
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:57 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Just got back from a trip to New Orleans-their visitor and convention bureau was offering deals to travel agents to come and see that the city is still alive and to spread the word to the rest of the world.
The last time I was there was almost 9 years ago for the same reason, stayed in a different hotel and did almost all different things except for the river boat cruise. That was different this time, because interspersed with the history, there was much commentary on the before and after Katrina along the river-plus I didn't realize that there was one whole area-Algiers is the name that wasn't even touched.
I guess I'm too old to appreciate Bourbon Street these days so my experience there, this time, was limited to walking along it to get to a "ghost" tour that met there (far from the madding crowd). However, I noticed that the bar, the Famous Door (where I was introduced to Hurricanes-the drink) is still going strong. My son had advised me to try a concoction called the Hand Grenade :scared: which is only served at one bar on Bourbon Street, but I took a pass this time.
The French Quarter as you probably know was not hit by Katrina, so very little damage, except financially. I talked at length to several folks-a bar tender, a store owner, a tour guide and even someone from the Army Corps of Engineers. This was all informal and unsolicted. They ARE hurting there, business IS down and the feeling is that this is in no small part the fault of the media. My own mother was kinda anxious about us going there, mentioning lawlessness etc. Her last conversation with me before we went was to tell me that they had a drive by shooting, I replied that we had them here as well so nothing new. Along those lines, I DID ask at the hotel we stayed at (HIGHLY recommended btw) if there were any areas to stay away from and they said that yes, you simply did not go further than this street or that street at night. Since we didn't rent a car, and only intended to use a taxi to get transport from and to the airport, that wasn't difficult.
The Superdome opens 25 September (I know because they had a huge sign on top of the roof proclaiming that fact) and the St Charles streetcar line is still not operating. The bus service is pretty spotty as well.
Back to the businesses-they are operating on reduced operating hours or even days, due to the lack of trade AND help. Some places still have not reopened. Several of the people I talked to had been left homeless, and these were NOT people who lived in the infamous Ninth Ward, (one had lived in a 400K neighborhood, but 11 feet of water in your house is a bit of an equalizer). It is in some parts, very reminiscent of the devastation that I saw in the former Yugoslavia back in 1996.
I got a kick out of the tee shirts offered-such as "Katrina evacuation plan-RUN Moth******er RUN" Or "I survived Katrina and all I got was this lousy tee shirt, a plasma TV and a luxury car." Lastly, was "FEMA-Fix Everything MY A** ".
I like New Orleans-and I can't wait to go back. Except for one thing-FIRST I have to lose the 10 pounds I gained there on the food, which was and still is fabulous.
It is a place like no other, and for that reason I cherish it.
Wow I am shocked that you like it there I just moved out of Louisiana could not wait to leave even the people that I got to know there said that it would never be the same but the poor buggers have no options but to keep plodding on hoping that things will change for the better? I just hope for their sakes it does as no one deserves to go threw what they have my heart goes out them..

As for the food yes you are right its amazing bring on the Gumbo lol

Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by whiskers
Wow I am shocked that you like it there I just moved out of Louisiana could not wait to leave even the people that I got to know there said that it would never be the same but the poor buggers have no options but to keep plodding on hoping that things will change for the better? I just hope for their sakes it does as no one deserves to go threw what they have my heart goes out them..

As for the food yes you are right its amazing bring on the Gumbo lol
prime example of how one never knows a place until they live in it.....i enjoy it for a long weekend and that's about it...good luck in your new location
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:05 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by TruBrit
prime example of how one never knows a place until they live in it.....i enjoy it for a long weekend and that's about it...good luck in your new location

Exactly I have loved many places in the world that I have spent a few days at or saw threw beer googles only to realise that when I actually moved there for what ever reason, prime example Bali Indonesia :scared: :scared: :scared: I could not wait to get my ass out of there, now that is a horrible place.

Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by whiskers
Exactly I have loved many places in the world that I have spent a few days at or saw threw beer googles only to realise that when I actually moved there for what ever reason, prime example Bali Indonesia :scared: :scared: :scared: I could not wait to get my ass out of there, now that is a horrible place.

we've had a couple of hols in bali staying at The Tugu think it was called however usually stayed within the hotel's vicinity and pretty as it was always glad to land back on brit soil
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed you are right, liking a place TO VISIT and LIVING there are two different things. Would I want to live in New Orleans for an extended period of time? Probably not, but then the purpose of my visit was to check it out and see for myself if it's still a good place to go as a tourist. The answer-yes.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Indeed you are right, liking a place TO VISIT and LIVING there are two different things. Would I want to live in New Orleans for an extended period of time? Probably not, but then the purpose of my visit was to check it out and see for myself if it's still a good place to go as a tourist. The answer-yes.

yep for sure we'll be back to visit
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:57 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we've had a couple of hols in bali staying at The Tugu think it was called however usually stayed within the hotel's vicinity and pretty as it was always glad to land back on brit soil
I lived in Kuta for a while then moved to a place called Chandi Dasa if I have spelt it right I forget now?
But it was nothing like the old Bob Hope and Carmen Miranda films used to portray it.

Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:55 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

They got screwed in New Orleans, and they have my sympathy, but its never been a place I've wanted to see. In fact I don't think I've heard any nice stories about the whole state. I remember one about Louisiana cops been worse than the ones in Mexico... Anyway I haven't been there so I can't really comment. I just got back from St Louis, though. Now, theres a cool place to visit
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Cindy.

I can't wait to get back there. Nothing can keep me away from the Big Easy.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report, Cindy. I've my tickets for NO for October and can't wait to finally visit the infamous city. Going to be visiting the kids in their new home in Mississippi during my visit south.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not just NO, but all of the hard hit Gulf Coast. They fared as bad, if not worse in Mississippi, and they are still, like the folks in NO, living in FEMA trailers, if they're lucky, and/or in tents on their property. The kids lost everything in Long Beach, MS. Their waterfront apartment building and a few blocks in their private home. Thankfully, private insurance paid off on the loss and they had flood insurance on the apartment building. But still they had to live in Las Vegas until they could regroup and find a place inland in MS to call home. But still the land they own is sitting there with a building on it and no idea when they will be able to rebuild.

Originally Posted by Chorlton
They got screwed in New Orleans, and they have my sympathy, but its never been a place I've wanted to see. In fact I don't think I've heard any nice stories about the whole state. I remember one about Louisiana cops been worse than the ones in Mexico... Anyway I haven't been there so I can't really comment. I just got back from St Louis, though. Now, theres a cool place to visit
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:46 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks for the report, Cindy. I've my tickets for NO for October and can't wait to finally visit the infamous city. Going to be visiting the kids in their new home in Mississippi during my visit south.
Yay, Rete!!! Put up a thread before you go and we'll tell you the best "infamous" places to visit.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yay, Rete!!! Put up a thread before you go and we'll tell you the best "infamous" places to visit.
The Widow went to NO on business a couple of years back and ended in a Transvestite Restaurant.
"That's nice dear, glad you enjoyed it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.