Wikiposts

New to this...

Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this...

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And? If she answers yes to this question, the party is probably over. However she used it. Once is experimental, twice and you're toast.
Hmm..and really, would anyone answer that question with a yes? Personally, I wouldn't consider the occassional use of weed to be abusive. Unless you were continuously getting high to the point that it interfered with living and every waking moment was centered around when your next high was going to be, it's not 'abusive'. The question specifically says 'misuse' not 'use'. I wonder what definition of 'misuse' gov't uses?

Now, she could definitely be accused of 'misuse' due to her two overdoses. But she can show that she turned that around, got therapy and no longer needs anti-depressant drugs.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hmm..and really, would anyone answer that question with a yes? Personally, I wouldn't consider the occassional use of weed to be abusive. Unless you were continuously getting high to the point that it interfered with living and every waking moment was centered around when your next high was going to be, it's not 'abusive'. The question specifically says 'misuse' not 'use'. I wonder what definition of 'misuse' gov't uses?

Now, she could definitely be accused of 'misuse' due to her two overdoses. But she can show that she turned that around, got therapy and no longer needs anti-depressant drugs.
We've had folks on this very board that have answered yes to that very question at the medical....not believing it was going to be a big deal. Well, yeah, I smoked pot at uni like everyone else. But that was like ten years ago. I think for most an affirmative answer to that question will be the end of the road.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We've had folks on this very board that have answered yes to that very question at the medical....not believing it was going to be a big deal. Well, yeah, I smoked pot at uni like everyone else. But that was like ten years ago. I think for most an affirmative answer to that question will be the end of the road.
Regardless of the smokign weed, she'll have to answer yes, I would think, because of the two overdoses. But she'll have the documentation to show she is no longer harmful to herself. Who knows what effect that will have on the application, but hopefully it would not result in a straight out denial since she'll have that evidence.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

The poor OP must be terrified!

Ok how many Visa's are issued a year?

How many of those Visa's wouldnt be issued if people had answered, well yes I tried a puff on a joint in 1998 or whenever?

The way I see it substance misuse is not a drag on a joint 20 years ago!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
The poor OP must be terrified!
Good! Hopefully she will consult an experienced US immigration attorney before the medical to discuss the consequences of her answers.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, a good approach to how she should address the issue.

Regards, JEff

Good! Hopefully she will consult an experienced US immigration attorney before the medical to discuss the consequences of her answers.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Broadie

Please do not allow the doomsayers to depress you. While it is an issue, it is far from insurmountable. As I earlier mentioned, you will need a doctor's report on your past conditions, the whys, wherefores and with a followup of your successful treatment for depression. I realize that the suicide of a parent, or the death of a close family member by whatever means, can play havoc with someone's emotions and those in particular of a teenager.

If your USC fiancee wishes, he should by all means for at minimum a one time consultation with a well versed immigration attorney. the ALIA website can help with a referral, although the ALIA is only an organization composed of attorneys who pay an annual fee to join. Every speciality of law has such an organization available that offers meetings, seminars, conventions, and written updates in that particular field. Not belonging does not make one a poor candidate for retention for your immigration needs, just as a member does not make one an excellent candidate.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:52 am
Just Joined

boardiemiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Out of curiosity

How long after filing the paperwork do you usually get called in for the interview/medical?
I know it takes 8-10 months to complete the process fully but wondered how quickly I'll have to get all the paperwork together after filling in the forms for the petition etc
Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Broadie

Please do not allow the doomsayers to depress you. While it is an issue, it is far from insurmountable. As I earlier mentioned, you will need a doctor's report on your past conditions, the whys, wherefores and with a followup of your successful treatment for depression. I realize that the suicide of a parent, or the death of a close family member by whatever means, can play havoc with someone's emotions and those in particular of a teenager.

If your USC fiancee wishes, he should by all means for at minimum a one time consultation with a well versed immigration attorney. the ALIA website can help with a referral, although the ALIA is only an organization composed of attorneys who pay an annual fee to join. Every speciality of law has such an organization available that offers meetings, seminars, conventions, and written updates in that particular field. Not belonging does not make one a poor candidate for retention for your immigration needs, just as a member does not make one an excellent candidate.
And thanks for the advice about attourneys, Rete.
As I've been "sane" for so long and actually cope with stress better than most people I know, I'm pretty confident a psychiatrist would be happy with my mental state but the way it looks to officials is definitely something I have no clue about.
It would be good to have someone who deals with the departments often tell me what they think.

Humm.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:21 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Out of curiosity

Originally Posted by boardiemiss
How long after filing the paperwork do you usually get called in for the interview/medical?
I know it takes 8-10 months to complete the process fully but wondered how quickly I'll have to get all the paperwork together after filling in the forms for the petition etc
Your petition has to be approved first, which can take 4-6 months.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

boardiemiss,

I applied for a K1 visa to come to America and marry my now husband.

I have a history of depression, visits to the psychiatrist and overdoses - so it CAN be done because im here in the USA, married for 6 months and have my Green Card.

When I went for my medical (which is held at a place called Knightsbridge Doctors and the only place your allowed to go for a visa medical exam) I had a letter explaining my depression which i typed up.

They then said they wanted a letter from my Doctor (had I know this I would of got it for them before hand) they wanted him to give my history of depression, treatments, problems and prognosis.

They then decided that the best course of action would be for me to attend a Psychiatric Review from a Psychiatrist of their choice (I attended one they picked in a place called Taunton not too far from where i lived).

I went to the review (its not cheap!) and anwsered a lot of questions, he asked repeatedly how I feel about this that and everything (weather, food, life, family, travelling, pets etc) and questioned my history and what i thought of the treatment I had recieved. I told him my history had been due to a large amount of stress (due to work and relationship at the time).

He then asked me if I thought i would relapse and possible need treatment once inside of the USA. I explained that I had left both the job and relationship that had caused me the stress that had put me into that depression and that since that I had been taken off my medication and felt happy as could be and was looking forward to my life with my future husband and that im happiest with him.

He then sent me and knightsbridge a copy each of the review. the last part is the important part "Prognosis: Good"

Knightsbridge sent my medical with the review to the embassy and they released the visa to me (which was approved but pending the review)

I hope this helps ease your mind, I suggest whatever route you go (CR1 or K1) you will need the medical so get a detailed report from your GP and his prognosis currently and for the future.

Good Luck!

Kirsty
xxx
Old Dec 12th 2009, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
boardiemiss,

I applied for a K1 visa to come to America and marry my now husband.

I have a history of depression, visits to the psychiatrist and overdoses - so it CAN be done because im here in the USA, married for 6 months and have my Green Card.

When I went for my medical (which is held at a place called Knightsbridge Doctors and the only place your allowed to go for a visa medical exam) I had a letter explaining my depression which i typed up.

They then said they wanted a letter from my Doctor (had I know this I would of got it for them before hand) they wanted him to give my history of depression, treatments, problems and prognosis.

They then decided that the best course of action would be for me to attend a Psychiatric Review from a Psychiatrist of their choice (I attended one they picked in a place called Taunton not too far from where i lived).

I went to the review (its not cheap!) and anwsered a lot of questions, he asked repeatedly how I feel about this that and everything (weather, food, life, family, travelling, pets etc) and questioned my history and what i thought of the treatment I had recieved. I told him my history had been due to a large amount of stress (due to work and relationship at the time).

He then asked me if I thought i would relapse and possible need treatment once inside of the USA. I explained that I had left both the job and relationship that had caused me the stress that had put me into that depression and that since that I had been taken off my medication and felt happy as could be and was looking forward to my life with my future husband and that im happiest with him.

He then sent me and knightsbridge a copy each of the review. the last part is the important part "Prognosis: Good"

Knightsbridge sent my medical with the review to the embassy and they released the visa to me (which was approved but pending the review)

I hope this helps ease your mind, I suggest whatever route you go (CR1 or K1) you will need the medical so get a detailed report from your GP and his prognosis currently and for the future.

Good Luck!

Kirsty
xxx
Oh Kirsty, thanks - sounds like you've had a similar experience, I couldn't be happier these days. Congratulations, and thanks for the reassurance. I'll definitely speak to my doctor before the medical & try and get hold of some kind of letter from the hospital I had my therapy at as it was clear during the course of the treatment itself that it was helping.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

no problem boardiemiss, this can be a stressful process when its shed in a negative light. But there are things you can do to make it easier for yourself.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on how your doing