Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need Infomation on I-485

Need Infomation on I-485

Old May 10th 2002, 3:20 am
Howard Robinson

Default Need Infomation on I-485

I am trying to get my now wife who was on a I-129F to be able to stay in the US. I
have the form I-485 right now, but I am curious if I need to file for my two
step-sons as well or will they be covered under the same I-485

Thanks, Howard Robinson

Old May 10th 2002, 6:20 am
Shelley

Default Re: Need Infomation on I-485

You need to file Adjustment of Status paperwork for each person - that is 3 sets of
paperwork. You mention your wife entered a K-1 visa - and you got married and are
filing the paperwork within 90 days of her entering the US, correct? Did your step
sons have K-2 visas? If so, they will just need the same paperwork as your wife. See
these sites for lists of forms required, examples of completed forms and helpful
hints for filing. http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Take care. Shelley

"Howard Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to get my now wife who was on a I-129F to be able to stay in the US. I
    > have the form I-485 right now, but I am curious if I need to file for my two
    > step-sons as well or will they be covered under the same I-485
    >
    >
    > Thanks, Howard Robinson

Old May 11th 2002, 4:20 am
Howard Robinson

So I need to file an I-485 for everyone? They came under the I-129F with my wife. I
am filing within the 90 days of coming in, but I need to know if I need to file 3
sets of an I-485 as it stands right now my two stepsons are k2's

On Fri, 10 May 2002 05:07:55 GMT, "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You need to file Adjustment of Status paperwork for each person - that is 3 sets of
    >paperwork. You mention your wife entered a K-1 visa - and you got married and are
    >filing the paperwork within 90 days of her entering the US, correct? Did your step
    >sons have K-2 visas? If so, they will just need the same paperwork as your wife. See
    >these sites for lists of forms required, examples of completed forms and helpful
    >hints for filing. http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm
    >http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Take care. Shelley
    >
    >"Howard Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I am trying to get my now wife who was on a I-129F to be able to stay in the US. I
    >> have the form I-485 right now, but I am curious if I need to file for my two
    >> step-sons as well or will they be covered under the same I-485
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks, Howard Robinson
    >

Old May 11th 2002, 8:20 am
Shelley

Yes - there are three immigrants, so each will need there own file - so that's three
sets of paperwork, three sets of fees. Each need a G-325, I-485, I-864, etc., plus
all the accompanying documentation. Each will need an I-131 for Advance Parole
(travel authorization) if they will be traveling out of the US while the AOS is being
processed, and if anyone want to work or get an SSN you will need to file the I-765
for an EAD card. All three will not be processed together either - you may end up
with 3 interview appointments for AOS as well. You did not mention the kid's ages,
but if any of them is coming up on a 21st birthday, be sure to follow the
instructions for age-out processing. Take Care. Shelley

"Howard Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > So I need to file an I-485 for everyone? They came under the I-129F with my wife. I
    > am filing within the 90 days of coming in, but I need to know if I need to file 3
    > sets of an I-485 as it stands right now my two stepsons are k2's
    >
    >
    > On Fri, 10 May 2002 05:07:55 GMT, "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You need to file Adjustment of Status paperwork for each person - that is
    > >sets of paperwork. You mention your wife entered a K-1 visa - and you got
    > >married and are filing the paperwork within 90 days of her entering the US,
    > >correct? Did your step sons have K-2 visas? If so, they will just need the same
    > >paperwork as your wife. See these sites for lists of forms required, examples of
    > >completed forms
and
    > >helpful hints for filing. http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm
    > >http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Take care. Shelley
    > >
    > >"Howard Robinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I am trying to get my now wife who was on a I-129F to be able to stay in the US.
    > >> I have the form I-485 right now, but I am curious if I need to file for my two
    > >> step-sons as well or will they be covered under the same I-485
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Thanks, Howard Robinson
    > >>
    > >

Old May 11th 2002, 8:20 pm
Michael D. Youn

Shelley wrote:

> Yes - there are three immigrants, so each will need there own file - so that's
    > three sets of paperwork, three sets of fees. Each need a G-325, I-485, I-864, etc.,
    > plus all the accompanying documentation. Each will need an I-131 for Advance Parole
    > (travel authorization) if they will be traveling out of the US while the AOS is
    > being processed, and if anyone want to work or get an SSN you will need to file the
    > I-765 for an EAD card. All three will not be processed together either - you may
    > end up with 3 interview appointments for AOS as well. You did not mention the kid's
    > ages, but if any of them is coming up on a 21st birthday, be sure to follow the
    > instructions for age-out processing. Take Care. Shelley
    >

Hi All!

Children under 14 don't need to be fingerprinted (Save $50.00) or submit the G-325A
and the I-485 fee for children under 14 is $160.00.

Take care,

Mike